The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 14, 2006, 03:51 PM   #1
ulmer

SA Revolver Extractor Tube Problem

Firing the other day my extractor tube separated from my Bounty Hunter color case .45. The spring was lost so I have just received one from EAA Corp.

Problem is when I screw the washer into the barrel and set up the extractor rod and spring inside the tube and tighten the tube screw into the washer, the tube still separates. All is tight into the barrel except there appears to be nothing to actually hold the tube to the barrel. This must be a common problem for the novice and I am very puzzled. Can anyone help. Thanks.
Old February 14, 2006, 08:00 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

"Washer"????
The EAA Bounty hunter appears to be a more or less standard clone of the Colt single action.

There should be a stud pressed into the barrel.
When the rear of the tube is seated into the frame, the front of the tube should fit down over the stud, and the screw should screw into the stud, locking the tube in place.

Possibly, something is broken.
Here's EAA's parts page showing the parts:
http://www.eaacorp.com/diagrams-easalg.html

You might want to contact EAA and talk this one over with them.
Old February 15, 2006, 05:56 AM   #3
ulmer

Yes, EAA calls the stud a washer. It screws into the barrel and the screw goes into that. I'm afraid you're right. Something must be broken. When the tube blew during firing, stud and screw remained, showing that the tube simply blasted away. Examining the tube I can see nothing wrong, but apparently as you say, something is. I am no gunsmith of course. Thanks.
Old February 15, 2006, 04:42 PM   #4
ulmer

I think I've fixed the gun and it was not the extracter tube after all. EAA seems to have shipped the wrong washer and it never seated in the notch in the barrel. My fault as I didn't give them a serial number. Finally freeing up the original washer and screw which had been frozen tight, I used them and all seems to be ok.