The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 12, 2017, 05:33 PM   #1
5pins

Winchester "White Box" 147gr JHP in Clear Ballistics gel.

Test Gun: Sig P229, Beretta Nano.
Barrel length: 3.9 inches, 3 inches.
Ammunition: Winchester 147gr JHP (USA9JHP2)
Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: PACT 1 XP with inferred sky screens.

The recent testing of the Winchester White Box 115gr JHP seemed to be very popular so when the opportunity came up to try the 147gr version I took it. Even though this ammo is considered a "bargain brand" it's hard to consider it a bargain when it was $22 for this box locally. Right now we live in a time of falling ammo prices and online HST's and Gold Dots can be found for less, so I have to wonder why one would pay more for this and "similar" brands. Maybe for some reason, someone is limited to what they can get at their local Wal-Mart.

The first shot into bare gel had a velocity of 908fps and penetrated to 17.75 inches with an expansion of .53 inches. Round two penetrated to 17 inches with an expansion of .54 inches and a velocity of 915fps.

In heavy clothing, the first round hit at 911fps penetrated to 15 inches with an "expansion" of .51 inches. As you can see it didn't expand so much as deformed a little. The bullet took a sharp downward turn at about the 12-inch mark in the block. I believe this is why the penetration was less than the others. Round two had a velocity of 948fps, penetrated to 17.75 inches and expanded to .48 inches.

Out of the short barreled Nano, round one in bare gel ran at 918fps for a penetration of 19 inches and expanded to .53 inches. Round two traveled 20 inches, also expanded to .53 inches with a velocity of 901fps.

I found it interesting that the bullets fired for the Nano had similar velocity and recovered diameter to the rounds fired from the P229 but penetrated slightly further.
Old December 13, 2017, 02:43 PM   #2
ThomasT

Nice test. I still think the bullets look like Hornady XTP's.
Old December 13, 2017, 03:29 PM   #3
Slamfire

Thanks for testing and sharing your results. I don't know if your ammunition is identical to the Winchester 147 grain tested at Luckygunner. That is a could be:

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...tic-tests/#9mm

Their bullets expanded similar to yours, which is comforting. Bullet expansion in a calibrated media should be similar. What surprised me, looking at the 38 Special bullets at Luckygunner, was how few bullets expanded either in 38 Special or 357 Magnum, though more expanded at 357 velocities. Expansion of 45 ACP bullets was not exactly stellar, a number did not expand at all. This causes me great concern as either there is something different between the test media, or bullets, or maybe, the manufacturer's are shoveling out bullets that won't expand, never mind the advertising claims. Bullets should be repeatable when tested in identical ballistic media.

With the expansion you documented, compared to some of the non expanding 45 ACP bullets at luckygunner, as long as the penetration is the same, then these 9mm bullets should be equally as lethal, as they make a larger hole.

Last edited by Slamfire; December 15, 2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old December 25, 2017, 11:56 AM   #4
458winshooter

9mm Win 147's

This is what I've been carrying in my P-89 Ruger for years they're very accurate to.
Old December 25, 2017, 03:03 PM   #5
fastbolt

From what I've seen in some factory and hosted (mobile gel lab) gel testing, the USA (white box) JHP's can demonstrate some expansion/mushrooming in bare gel blocks, and sometimes even in the clothing tests.

However, when it comes to the "acid test" of the IWBA's 4Layer Denim testing, the older JHP designs may not be able to resist plugging and still demonstrate robust expansion in the same way as some of the newer, improved JHP designs. That makes sense, as the newer designs have usually been revised and created to "perform better" in some of the newer testing conditions, and often at the request of major LE/Gov users.

I've carried the older style JHP's, including the standard USA (or Ranger) lines, in 9, .40 & .45, when they were issued, and then at other times I've carried the more modern JHP designs when they were available and/or issued. I didn't lose any sleep either way, but given my druthers, I'd prefer to carry one of the newer style JHP's made by any of the major American ammo makers.

Functional reliability ion my weapon, practical accuracy, shot placement (anatomical) and knowing what's "downrange" (behind the threat) are more important to me than the particular brand.

Besides, just about the time I may have gotten used to having access to one brand (whether OTC purchased or as an issued load), there was often some shortage or other availability issue that required I use another brand. I learned to stop being so picky.