The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 26, 2017, 09:15 PM   #26
Koda94

the HSM "bear Load" is listed on their website as 481ft lbs at the muzzle.

its not anywhere close to a real 10mm load. If its "hard" FMJ bullet performs it *might* be an advantage over a S&W 40cal, at best.

https://www.hsmammunition.com/handgun/bear-load/
Old December 26, 2017, 09:39 PM   #27
Mr.RevolverGuy

Depends on the testing platform right. Those last numbers I posted were from a 6inch S&W 610 which is weird but those were numbers during the summer time.

My winter time results were much more in alignment with their website.

Looks like according to my records I have had a ton of time and fun testing 19 different loads in 9 different pistols of which I was sad to have to send back to their rightful owners Some were nice Dan Wesson etc.

Last edited by Mr.RevolverGuy; December 26, 2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old December 27, 2017, 09:30 AM   #28
agtman

Quote:
You have any of this ammo you would like to share for testing? I would love to do some testing.
MRG: Why? I'm not the one spamming gun-boards with his YouTube tests.

Look, I appreciate the effort of anyone who does this sort of chrono & ballistic testing, but my point is if you're going to take the time to test a particular brand of 10mm ammo, and then do the 'happy dance' over the resulting fps/fpe numbers, just be sure you're telling us about real 10mm ammo, not some .40-level junk that merely masquerades as a 10mm load. For any self-respecting 10mm-user, that's a waste of money, frankly ... and calling it a "bear load" - with all that implies - is embarrassing, misleading, and, possibly, dangerous. (Yea, I know that's what HSM calls it, not you.)

Quote:
agtman you must be looking for nuclear loads Not defending HSM, just reporting on it the Bear Load isn't nuclear but it isn't 40S&W either, at the average velocity it delivers 625ft/lbs full loads start about 600ft/lbs.
Huh? Sounds like fuzzy math ... Better check it again.

By the way, the 10mm standard of "200gns @ 1200fps" was the original standard established by Norma when the cartridge was introduced in 1983. That was waaay back in the day when handgun propellants were limited compared to the more recent diversity of propellants that ammo-makers can access now, not to mention the development of special hybrid powders (as noted below about DT).

Another factor is, we've had 35 years of experience with the 10mm cartridge. So what was once considered a "maxed-out" full-throttle load, which varies with the bullet-weight in question, is different now. Using a 200gn bullet, the so-called "nuclear range" is now right on 1300fps.

Heavy hardcast slugs (running 200gns, 210gns, 220gns , and a few 230gns) have also been developed for specific hunting applications, most launching at or beyond 1200fps MV. Better bullets (or boolits), and better powders to give you higher velocity with less pressure. Good, and good.

Quote:
Koda94 the HSM "bear Load" is listed on their website as 481ft lbs at the muzzle. Its not anywhere close to a real 10mm load. * * *
Koda94 is right. ... MRG's stated "average" velocity of 1041fps for the HSM 200gn 10mm load yields an average 481fpe. That's a "10mm" load in name only, being watered down to anemic .40-level specs. Heck, DT's .40S&W 200gn XTP-HP load, using McNett's proprietary hybrid propellants, averages 1050fps from real-world guns (.40 Glocks).

Last edited by agtman; December 27, 2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old December 27, 2017, 10:33 AM   #29
Mr.RevolverGuy

Who did a happy dance no happy dance here If there was a happy dance it was about the new ruger blackhawk. Come to think of it I can't dance at all.

I personally did not call these 10MM loads, I did not load them. This was supposed to be nothing more than informative for users to determine if they would like to purchase or not.

I think we are agreeing, since this was called a Bear Load I wanted to see for myself what the performance was like.

When I use nuclear terminology it pertains to this chart.

Last edited by Mr.RevolverGuy; December 27, 2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old December 27, 2017, 02:55 PM   #30
Koda94

Some people refer to it as "full pressure" but I prefer to clarify it as normal or original pressure.

I dont know if id call it nuclear though, with modern powder those results can be achieved without exceeding sammi pressure specifications. "Nuclear" to me, implies something more powdrful than it really is but i know thats subjective.

Last edited by Koda94; December 27, 2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old December 27, 2017, 03:35 PM   #31
Mr.RevolverGuy

That's fair comment,

Truly a honest question how many pistols out there do you with will with stand and consistent use of 200gr 1300fps 10MM loads?
Old December 27, 2017, 04:00 PM   #32
Koda94

All of them.

Ok, not me personally but as long as they are loaded to sammi specifications why would the gun fail?