The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 18, 2010, 01:31 PM   #1
4INCHSMITH

Question about my Mav 88

I've read many opinions on this site about PGO shotguns and needing to be 21 to purchase such arms. However, when I was 19 I bought a PGO Maverick 88 as a "long gun" at a gun store. It is the 20" barrel 7+1 shot security model. With just the pistol grip on it the gun measures 30 3/8" long. I added an ati top folding stock to it and now the folded the gun measures 30 1/2" long. I've had the gun this way for almost 3 years.

I suppose my question is am I violating or have I violated any laws here? With all I've read on this forum I'm starting to second guess the way I have it set up. I live in Michigan.

note: I know the gun is very tacti-cool but I have it for kicks and giggles, mostly for when one of my friends claim they can handle recoil. 3" buckshot from the hip will usually change their mind
Old January 18, 2010, 02:04 PM   #2
full.tang.halo

As long as your barrel is over 18" and the overall length is over 26" you should be good.

As for buying a pistol grip only shotgun, that requires you to be 21. Though a shotgun with both a pistol grip and a standard stock can be sold to an 18 year old, even if the standard stock isn't attached.

Relate ATF Newsletter text below

“Shotguns” with pistol grips attached

In the last ATF Newsletter (August 1998) an article stated shotguns with pistol grips and no shoulder stocks attached were restricted to persons 21 years of age or older if being sold by a Federal firearms licensee.

This requirement is specified in 27 CFR §178.99(b) and 18 USC 922(b)(1) (http://www.atf.treas.gov/core/regula...27cfr178.html), which states that if the firearm to be transferred is “other than a rifle or shotgun” then the purchaser must be 21 years of age. The definition of a shotgun under the GCA [18 USC § 921(a)(5)] is a weapon “intended to be fired from the shoulder.” With the pistol grip in lieu of the shoulder stock, this weapon is not designed to be fired from the shoulder, and therefore is not a shotgun.

Questions have been raised about those firearms that are supplied with both a pistol grip and a shoulder stock. If the firearm is sold with the shoulder stock then the firearm is intended to be fired from the shoulder and would be considered a shotgun. The shoulder stock does not necessarily have to be attached at the time. Persons 18 years of age or older may purchase those firearms from licensees.

Other questions raised pertain to entries made in the licensee’s required records as to firearm “type” if not a shotgun. These entries may indicate the firearm type simply as Title I.
Old January 18, 2010, 03:36 PM   #3
4INCHSMITH

It sounds like they need to start providing shoulder stocks with these guns. I saw them at a gunshow a couple weeks ago and they had 5 or 6 of these on a rack, PGO and no shoulder stock. In a bin farther down their booth they had a tub full of shoulder stocks for sale that looked like they came off those PGO guns, even had the "Maverick by Mossberg, Made in USA" stickers still on them.
Do I need to get rid of this gun or should I just stop dealing with them? Its really starting to sound like I was sold this shotgun illegally.
Old January 18, 2010, 04:32 PM   #4
David Hineline

The shop broke law when they sold it to you cause they were stupid and did not know any better or did not care.

If the gun came from the factory with a buttstock and they stripped them off, then it is still just a shotgun, if it came from the factory with just a pistol grip then they should not have sold to under 21.

You can possess it in either configuration just fine at 18 you could actually register it as an AOW or sawed off shotgun at 18 you just can't buy it from a FFL.

The latest version of the 4473 now has three cat. of guns now. Long Gun, Handgun, other, a pistol gripped shotgun is an other as now a AR15 type or any other type of stripped receiver is an other only for sale to 21 and older, but many FFLs don't know that because you don't have to read the rule book to get a license.
Old January 18, 2010, 06:31 PM   #5
4INCHSMITH

Alright, looks like I'm in the clear now, maybe could have had some trouble before I turned 21, but that was in 2008. Thank you both for clearing the cloudy waters.