The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2009, 11:50 AM   #1
Sixer

$60 Digital Scale?

I'm scale shopping and I need some professional help (in more ways than one ) I've looked through some of the past threads and still ended up scratching my head...

I'm on a fairly strict budget (as always) and I would like to find a decent, reliable, and "affordable" digital scale somewhere in the $60 range. Does any make a scale that fits my newbie reloading needs? If so what might that scale be and where can I find it?

On a side note... should I have a beam scale to go along with it? Suggestions appreciated, and please accept my apologies for starting a new "scale" thread
Old February 6, 2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Joat

I have never used this product or this company, but this is the first listing that google popped out when I typed in "digital scale grains".

Google is your friend

IMO skip the beam scale but invest in a set of scale check wieghts. That way you are verifying the load, not seeing if the scales come up with the same number.

Joat
Old February 6, 2009, 01:02 PM   #3
jaguarxk120

The web site shows a very nice scale, but it is not sensitive enough for reloading. It weights to 1 grain, what you are looking for is one tenth of a grain.

And as stated get a set of check weights. They are your standard making sure your scale in accurate. Good luck
Old February 6, 2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Sixer

Thanks guys, I hadn't really considered a set of check weights I will definitely add those to my list.
Old February 6, 2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Joat

Quote:
Weighing modes include Grams, Ounces, Pounds, Troy Ounces, Pennyweight. Carats, and Grains. Max capacity is 500g with a 0.1g resolution. . .
Actually it's closer to 1.5 grains. I guess I should read the page before I post a link Sorry for the misfire

joat
Old February 6, 2009, 05:46 PM   #6
wncchester

"I would like to find a decent, reliable, and "affordable" digital scale somewhere in the $60 range."

Why? I mean what do you feel a digital will do that a beam won't do better?
Old February 6, 2009, 08:29 PM   #7
Alleykat

I've been happy with the tiny Frankford Arsenal Micro Digital scale that I bought from Midway for $29. Works a lot better than the RCBS Powder Pro that costs four times as much and which crapped out on me. So much for the "Lifetime Warranty" that came packed with my RCBS scale!!
Old February 6, 2009, 09:43 PM   #8
Inspector3711

Midway has the frankford scales for 30 but I'd spend 40 and get the MTM they carry:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=785229

It comes with a calibration weight which is a must.

I have a Redding beam that i keep around just in case the power goes out but it always has trouble holding zero. Crappy design. If the scale moves around on the bench, the movement causes the zero screw to spin (the scale rests in that screw). I'm always wasting time fiddling with it to stay zeroed.

I bought a Lyman 1200DPS3 last year ($280) and won't EVER use a beam scale again unless there is no power. I used a Ohaus triple beam to weigh liquid chemicals at work for about 7 years. They finally went digital and it was one of the best improvements they could have made for us. Push a button, your zeroed. No more setting the balances... Turn it on in the morning, hit zero, pour to your weight. Always look at zero before starting the next weigh in and just keep running. With the triple beam you checked zero before each pour and then had to set the beam each time another chemical was added.

I work with a guy that just got his RCBS digital back from repair, for the second time.

Last edited by Inspector3711; February 6, 2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old February 6, 2009, 10:39 PM   #9
McClintock

I use the MTM scale as well and it seems to work pretty good.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MTM306-1.html
Old February 6, 2009, 10:56 PM   #10
joeg26er

american weigh

I have the Frankford arsenal digital scale and it crapped out on my
I don't think it ever gave me accurate readings...would drift so the powder charges would get heavier

etc

Been using an American Weight 100gram AMW-100 scale supposed to have .01 gram accuracy and .1 grain resolution
In reality - It has bout .2 grain resolution good enough for plinking

got it for less than $20 on amazon
here it is for $13+ shipping so comes to less than $20

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh...ef=pd_sbs_op_1

It has been very accurate (.2 grain) but more importantly - consistent weights
and can be calibrated

If anyone has a better scale for the money I would sure like to know about it...
Old February 7, 2009, 12:36 AM   #11
Inspector3711

I swore off Amazon after my last fiasco... Cell phone batteries.... a month late and then they were used and wouldn't hold a charge... still haven't gotten my money back and they had the nerve to try to change my mind about the review I posted.
Old February 7, 2009, 09:07 AM   #12
GoldenRoyBoy

My opinion and recommendation ---

Hello Sixer,
A good, reliable digital scale for $60? My opinion; no way.

You'll need to think about investing a little more to get the features you need for reloading. Forget the balance beamers. Instead, invest in a good quality digital machine; one that will last. Here is a link to one little unit I recently ordered. It's a gem of a machine so far; having a lot of features found on much more expensive units. Adjustable AUTO timer is one. Most of the cheaper units are factory set to go off after only a minute or two. It's aggrevating! Plus, you can choose to use batteries, or plug in. The adapter comes with the unit. Included is a lifetime/15 year warranty! Dillon's Terminator has a one year warranty; and not 1/3 of the features! Ask me how I know.

vhttp://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-gempro-500.aspx

I came back, after reading some of the other posts to add; the GemPro is designed for weighing gems, or for reloading. The display goes to .001 and beyond. Most digitals read in .01. IMO, readings of .001 are much more precise.

Good luck on your decision!
GRB

Last edited by GoldenRoyBoy; February 7, 2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old February 7, 2009, 09:49 AM   #13
Tom2

Has anyone played with one of these cheap CHinese scales that are on ebay? I got something called a NEVA jewelry scale. It will only read up to 10 grams or like 158 grains, not enough for sorting heavy bullets but good enough for powder charges. I checked and self cal'd it with the included 10 gram test weight. Then my other check weights were checked on it, and it stays right dead on, well within .1 grain across the range of test weights. I got it for maybe 15$ with no other bidders, versus buy it now. Alot of so called digital "jewelry scales" on ebay that are cheap, can weigh grams, grains, and karats. Just no nice extras like a powder trickler included! YEs, of course I will check it before use!
Old February 7, 2009, 09:59 AM   #14
Sevens

GRB, I'm impressed with the page you linked, but the question is -- do you have one of these and have used it?

In my experience, I haven't yet seen a digital scale mentioned in any reloading forum, no matter the price, that hasn't taken a crap for someone. Or, to put it another way, there may be 10 guys posting that their SuperWeigh 8000 is the best $350 they ever spent, but for sure, there's at least one guy who has had one burn up on him in less than a year.

Because of this, I simply don't think digital scales have yet come far enough that for a couple hundred, anyone can buy a superior piece of equipment.

There's plenty of scales out there that can/will work quite well for a handloader's bench, but I don't think any of us can spend a couple hundred or less and be guaranteed a device that won't go to hell unpredictably and need to be replaced.

Me, I use the Frankford Arsenal super cheapo digital. And it does come with a calibration weight, by the way. I've found that as long as I keep fresh batteries handy, it works quite well. And if you catch Midway at the right time, it's $30.

I would happily drop $200 on a scale if I was confident that it would work all the time, every time. But I haven't seen or heard of one that can claim that.
Old February 7, 2009, 10:21 AM   #15
Alleykat

I wasn't aware of the MTM scale @ Midway when I bought the Frankford Arsenal. FWIW, the FA also comes with a calibration weight. Read those digital scale warranties carefully! I thought I had a "Lifetime Warranty" with my RCBS Powder Pro scale; however, if you read the warranty you'll find that the only part that's like to go out, the weight sensor cell, is excluded, giving you, in effect, NO WARRANTY!!!!
Old February 7, 2009, 10:57 AM   #16
GoldenRoyBoy

Hello my Reloading Fanatic Buddies! Lol!

Hello Sevens!
My pleasure; regarding the link.

GRB, I'm impressed with the page you linked, but the question is -- do you have one of these and have used it?

Answer, Hell yes!
In fact, I just did! I reloaded some 200 gn 45acps to shoot later today. In all honesty, I just received my GemPro 500 yesterday (Friday). But, I can assure you I've already put the thing through its paces. It passed with flying colors. The ability to alter the various modes is greatly appreciated by this reloader.

Yes, I've owned a number of digital powder scales. Most all of them have been disappointing. My first was RCBS's ChargeMaster Combo 1500. The first unit served me well; over 3 years. ALthough RCBS states ONE YEAR WARRANTY, all it takes is a phone call to get one replaced free. And, I did.

I also own the Frankford model purchased from Midway. For the money, you can't beat it. Problem is, no adjustable AUTO OFF. It turns off after 2 minutes or so.

Dillon's Terminator is MADE IN CHINA like most all of them. It's not a bad scale. I returned mine just this week; having purchased it two weeks ago. Enough said.

I haven't heard of the SuperWeigh 8000?
I'll check it out.

Nothing's infallible; especially when it comes to electronics. I think one needs to be prudent. I like having two scales going at any one time. Reason being, I can test one against the other. Also, checking periodically using the calibration weight which is provided with each machine IMO is only good practice.

Thanks,
GRB
Old February 7, 2009, 11:12 AM   #17
Sevens

GRB, you've definitely been through a few scales!
Don't bother looking for the SuperWeigh 8000, I simply made it up so as not to disparage any particular scale.

I checked a little further on the site that you linked and it seems as though the accessories and the warranty are pretty close to the same on every scale they sell, and they must have a hundred or more different scales on there.

The warranty seems to be offered by one place-- so either one manufacturer is making every scale I clicked on, or one company is backing the warranty for everything they sell. This could be one of those deals where they don't really offer a warranty at all, it's just that the markup is so high and the cost so low that they simply replace any scale that qualifies under the warranty.

Now you've never used the warranty, so nobody knows, but I continue to be a skeptic about really good deals on a warranty.

I agree that the quick shut-off of the Frankford el-cheapo is annoying, but it does work for me.

Anyway, I appreciate hearing everyone's experience with all different scales. Really, there's no more we can do than to share what we've seen and used. I still say that all electronics are a certain level of gambling and that it's such a touchy device that it's just going to be that way for a long time.

One thing folks can do is to take a long hard look at their setup with regards to the digital scale to minimize their problems. Things like air current, fluorescent lights, level surface, powder grain stuck under the tray, erratic batteries, etc, all of this can wreak havoc on a digital scale.
Old February 7, 2009, 11:16 AM   #18
protectedbyglock

FWIW, I have a $1700 lab scale at work.
I bought a $25 el cheapo on ebay for the heck of it.
I checked it with my nice set of nist weights from work, and was surprised. Only problem I found was centering the load on the pan. It seems like you can get a .2gn difference depending on where on the pan you set the weight. If you're consistent, it seems to work fine.
Cal weights are definately a good idea, though.
Old February 7, 2009, 11:21 AM   #19
GoldenRoyBoy

Good points!

One fact which bothers me immensely is; "All of these scales are made in China!" Or, I guess they are. The GemPro doesn't say anything about point of origin.

You also made some very good points about environment. One thing I do with all my electronics is to use an APC device to ensure good, clean electric. Here, in the mountains of S. Colorado we're apt to lose power at any time; for any reason. I also place my unit on a rubber mat, making sure it's level. The GemPro has a built in leveling bubble; unlike any of the rest I've owned.

Warrantys are important. No, I can't speak for my new MyWeigh device regarding such. And, hope I don't need to find out anytime soon. Lol!

One thing is certain; the digitals out perform the beamers in convenience; and ease of use! I haven't loaded up my beamer 1010 in years.

GRB
Old February 7, 2009, 07:11 PM   #20
TEDDY

scales

midsouth also has a $29 scale,seems to work good.since most of my poder measures are fixed cavity I only use it to check the first setting.and as my loads are target I dont worry about .01 variation.
Old February 7, 2009, 10:51 PM   #21
mbreitba

I've got one of the NEVA jewelry scales from Ebay - it works pretty well, but my big beef is that it turns itself off after about 3 minutes no matter what I'm doing. The seller claimed that this is a "feature" but I tend to disagree - I think it's probably just not working right - although the weight has always been dead on and it's not really worth my time to send it back - for 15 bucks + S/H I'm not going to complain. It's definitely easier to do load development with the digi than it is with the beam scale.
Old February 7, 2009, 10:57 PM   #22
Uncle Chan

I've the MTM. I like it. I check it against my beam scale on occassion. Right on. I'm going to get another for my travel bag (reloading bag).