The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 16, 2011, 07:35 AM   #26
Webleymkv

From what I've read on other forums, the .223 Remington cartridge has been considered a handgun cartridge for this purpose by the ATF for decades since the introduction of the Remington XP100 in that caliber. SS109/M855 penetrator components and ammunition loaded with them has remained legal because the ATF does not consider that bullet to be Armor-Piercing.
Old July 16, 2011, 07:46 AM   #27
thallub

Quote:
From what I've read on other forums, the .223 Remington cartridge has been considered a handgun cartridge for this purpose by the ATF for decades since the introduction of the Remington XP100 in that caliber. SS109/M855 penetrator components and ammunition loaded with them has remained legal because the ATF does not consider that bullet to be Armor-Piercing.
You are exactly right.
Old July 16, 2011, 11:07 AM   #28
Webleymkv

So, it would seem then that there is indeed more to this story than what EA is telling us. If I've got all this straight, the ATF has made no new rulings, EA was simply in violation of decades old rulings (due to the metals used in their bullets) and got caught selling illegal ammo. I do still wonder if there's anything to the supposed confiscation since the ammo was indeed illegal (though unbeknownst to the customers) at the time it was sold.
Old July 17, 2011, 10:04 AM   #29
Bartholomew Roberts

The issue is that EA is saying the ammo is the same as Barnes ammo, which is currently legal and in widespread use. In fact, it appears they make the ammo by taking actual Barnes bullets and modifying them by cutting a deeper band.
Old July 17, 2011, 10:26 AM   #30
thallub

Quote:
In fact, it appears they make the ammo by taking actual Barnes bullets and modifying them by cutting a deeper band.

Uh, no.

Despite what EA says their bullets are not the same as Barnes bullets.

i use lots of Barnes bullets, especially the Triple shocks, MZ muzzleloader bullets and the XPB handgun bullets. Barnes says their TSX, TTSX and XPB bullets are made of 100 percent copper: i believe that to be true. It is legal to make handgun caliber bullets from pure copper. It is not legal to make them from brass or bronze.

http://barnesbullets.myshopify.com/pages/rifle

Voila!!! There is nothing on the EA website this morning about the BATFE and bullets:

http://www.eliteammunition.net/home.html

Then there is this little jewel:

http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...n.815-814-0847

Quote:
Turned solid brass bullets. Extremely accurate with our signature Extreme Boat Tail that drive up ... More
And another one:

http://www.icarry.org/ftopicp-19853.html

Last edited by thallub; July 17, 2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old July 17, 2011, 08:48 PM   #31
Bartholomew Roberts

Hmmm, that seems to contradict what they were saying earlier. Thanks for sharing the info, thallub.