The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 18, 2018, 09:03 AM   #1
dhdallas

Howa 1500 Barreled Action Build

I bought this barreled action in order to build an easy-to-maneuver deer rifle for our N/W PA woods and the thick brushy areas I like. I have taken many deer in my 50+ years of hunting but never was one more than 100 yards away and almost always less than 50 yards away. I had one buck come up over a hilltop and almost run into me. He stopped so close to me that the click of the safety caused him to jump and run but a lung shot felled him and he had the decency to run to within 200 yards of our cabin before expiring.

The Boyd's stock was a perfect snug fit right out of the box and the trigger pull weight was factory set at 3.5 pounds. At a total weight of 8 pounds (on my kitchen digital scale - not a manufacturer's lunar weight scale), I could have made it lighter without the red dot and 10-round conversion kit but the red dot is great for those quickie close-up snap shots and the extended mag eliminates a pocketful of spare ammo.

Howa 1500 .308
#1 20" tapered free floated barrel
Boyd's At-One Pepper Laminate stock
Leupold VX2 3-9x scope
Vortex Venom 6-MOA Red Dot (side mount)
10-round mag conversion kit
HACT 3.5 lb trigger pull weight
Kampfeld Custom fluted bolt
Kampfeld Custom tactical bolt knob

Old November 18, 2018, 08:18 PM   #2
ruger357w

I've got 4 Howas and they all shot awesome. My 308 is in the highlander kryptex stock with the same style magazine release. The way I carry my rifle when I hunt I'm always bumping the magazine release. Just a pointer. Don't lose your mag. Oh and that's a nice look rifle.
Old November 18, 2018, 08:43 PM   #3
doofus47

My friend had a Howa in 270 and loved it.
Old November 18, 2018, 10:21 PM   #4
Dufus

I got the heavy barrel 24" from Brownells as a project for my grandson.

He put it all together and first trip to the range he had a 1 1/4" 5 shot group with shots 16 thru 20 with cheapo ammo. We can't wait to get some good handloads thru it to see how much better it gets.

His second outing was 200 yds and he did a 1 1/2" group with the same ammo.

His desire is to fancy it up into a long range shooter over time.

He loves the rifle.
Old November 22, 2018, 11:05 PM   #5
taylorce1

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of either of the rifles you put together. However, I'm not the one carrying them and using them. All that really matters is that you are satisfied with the way they perform for you.

I'd check your scales though I find it hard to believe that rifle weighs 8lbs in that configuration. I basically put together a Howa Alpine in .308 Win for my daughter and it tips the scales at 7lbs .02oz with Talley LWT mounts and a VX-III 2.5-8X36 scope. Your stock is almost a full two pounds heavier than mine that would put you a minimum of 9lbs if you scoped it similarly.

Like I said though it doesn't matter if you're happy with the results.
Old November 23, 2018, 06:24 AM   #6
Bfglowkey

He used a kitchen scale and admitted its not very accurate. 9-10lbs sounds about right and still not horrible for medium or less treks while stalking. Still a nice project for the DYI and looks great. Happy shooting!
Old November 23, 2018, 10:09 AM   #7
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfglowkey
He used a kitchen scale and admitted its not very accurate. 
Digital kitchen scales weigh to the 1/10 ounce in most cases and at least to 1 gram if switched to metric. That's plenty accurate for most of us, but being a full pound off isn't a minor error. Granted it isn't going to result in any catastrophic failure of the rifle, but if you're trying to use that scale for other things it might be a good idea to calibrate it.

A medium trek for me used to mean 3-5 miles round trip at at least 7,000 feet ASL, with a total if 20-25 lbs of gear. And I might make that trek up to three times in a day. So a rifle that takes up half the weight I'll be carrying is a not one I'll take on a stalk.

However, the OP and I hunt vastly different terrain in our respective home states and what works for him isn't what would work for me. I wasn't talking his rifles down, just simply stating they aren't to my tastes. Both his rifles would be great blind and stand rifles and I imagine they are pretty maneuverable in the confines of either. The red dot isn't a bad idea either. I'm not sure of the mounting position but I'd have to try it to see if it would work for me before I'd discount it.