The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 17, 2018, 11:49 AM   #1
JTofSD

Looking for PDF or book suggestions on S&W model 10

Hi everyone,
I am looking for suggestions on resources for a project revolver. I just ordered an old Smith & Wesson Model 10 and want to read up on its operation and care. I previously owned a Model 66 .357 which was nice, but sold it some time back (I know, that was a mistake).
So what do you suggest for PDFs, or books which are specific to the Model 10.
Thanks in advance.
Old December 17, 2018, 12:32 PM   #2
74A95

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/s&w_10.pdf
Old December 17, 2018, 12:47 PM   #3
ThomasT

Best book you will ever get. This won't be your last Smith & Wesson revolver.

https://www.amazon.com/Revolver-Shop.../dp/B000MRFUWY
Old December 17, 2018, 09:29 PM   #4
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Best book you will ever get. This won't be your last Smith & Wesson revolver.
Absolutely. The best book on the market about S&W revolvers. As are his books about the Colt SAA, Rugers, and the 1911.

Full of photos and descriptions for the amateur who just wants to know how to take one apart, all the way up to professional information for the pro. I have the 1990 edition. It was reissued a couple of years ago with even more information.
Old December 17, 2018, 11:15 PM   #5
JTofSD

Thank you
Old December 18, 2018, 11:27 AM   #6
Webleymkv

I second the recommendation for the Kuhnhausen manual. S&W K, L, and N Frames all work the same basic way (most of the internal parts are even the same though they require fitting to the individual gun). The J Frames are a bit different, but even those differences are relatively minor (coil mainspring vs. leaf mainspring, no hammer block on Centennials, etc.).

If you want more of a reference book rather than a technical one, a copy of The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson by Jim Supica and Richard Nahas would be the definitive guide. Also, while I've not read them myself, there are a couple of books by Roy Jinks that would probably be worthwhile as Jinks is the S&W factory historian (he's the one that writes the factory letters people send in for).
Old December 18, 2018, 11:31 AM   #7
FITASC

Absolutely YES on Jerry's book. I have one and while I am no gunsmith by any means, it has helped me with minor routine things as disassembly of certain areas, (and reassembly too!) stoning, etc.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 18, 2018, 04:46 PM   #8
ZVP

The quintessential revolver!

About5 yrs ago I bought a Model 10 HB from a buddy and am ashamed to admit what I paid for it. As Jerry Miculak(sp?)said the trigger is the fastest returning unit ever'. Even Jerrycan't beat it
I am just a shooter but everything about the Model 10 says quality and tough as nails. Jlike I said mine is a HB and it controls muzzle rise and gets right back on target immediately yes it's touch on the heavy side for all day carry but nothing detrimental perhaps if !I ever get another Model 10, I'd likely go for a lighter barrel just to compare ,until then I'm just fine with the HB.
S
I do not shoot PlusP loads since mine is a steel frame and why try to harm a perfect gun? I do shootlight recoiling personal defense loads mine appears to be happy with factory 158 gr bullets. I have read articles showing 100plus year old 10's shooting in competition! The revolver is tight and groups great!
Old December 18, 2018, 09:27 PM   #9
JTofSD

I appreciate all the good feedback. Thank you again.
Old December 18, 2018, 11:26 PM   #10
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
About5 yrs ago I bought a Model 10 HB from a buddy and am ashamed to admit what I paid for it. As Jerry Miculak(sp?)said the trigger is the fastest returning unit ever'. Even Jerrycan't beat it
I am just a shooter but everything about the Model 10 says quality and tough as nails. Jlike I said mine is a HB and it controls muzzle rise and gets right back on target immediately yes it's touch on the heavy side for all day carry but nothing detrimental perhaps if !I ever get another Model 10, I'd likely go for a lighter barrel just to compare ,until then I'm just fine with the HB.
S
I do not shoot PlusP loads since mine is a steel frame and why try to harm a perfect gun? I do shootlight recoiling personal defense loads mine appears to be happy with factory 158 gr bullets. I have read articles showing 100plus year old 10's shooting in competition! The revolver is tight and groups great!

Howdy

It took me a bit to realize that when you say HB you mean Heavy Barrel.

Is that correct?

There is nothing wrong with shooting 38 Special +P loads through a modern S&W. I don't do it, but they certainly will not hurt a modern Smith.

There is no such thing as a 100 year old Model 10, the Model 10 designation came about in 1957 when Smith and Wesson went over to a model numbering system. But there are plenty of 100 year old 38 Military and Police revolvers (the precursor to the Model 10) still out there being shot.

Here is one. This 38 M&P Target Model left the factory in 1917. I don't shoot it in competition, but I do like to bring it to the range occasionally.