The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 23, 2013, 03:02 PM   #26
Hardcase

If you've got the money, I'd also go for the M1. Yes, .30-06 ammo is more expensive than 7.62x39, but the M1 should be far more accurate and will certainly appreciate in value faster than the SKS.

If you reload, then the ammo cost drops. If you cast your own bullets, the cost plummets. As far as ammo damaging the rifle, that's true, a stock M1 has an envelope for gas pressure that modern off the shelf ammo probably exceeds, but you can get an adjustable gas port that is a non-permanent modification to the rifle that will enable you to use pretty much any .30-06 round out there.

I cast my own bullets from wheel weights and load to around 1900fps with gas checks. The action cycles just fine and it's accurate out to about 750 yards. Beyond that, I use commercial plated bullets. Also, CMP sells M2 ball ammo relatively cheaply (relative, of course, depends on your budget.)

I've got a couple of SKS's, too. They're fun, short to medium range plinkers. They're not terribly accurate - within their range, they'll hit what I aim at, but they are military rifles that were made for a different sort of combat than the M1. And, unfortunately, ammo for them is a little spendy right now, too. Once my (low) stock of milsurp ammo runs out, I'll probably start casting and loading those, too.
Old January 24, 2013, 05:56 PM   #27
Duzell

own both and i find the sks is more customization but if you just want to keep gun as is m1garand
Old January 25, 2013, 09:33 AM   #28
munson1

The M1 Garand for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I use to buy those Yugo's for $99 in EXC. Condition. Like most guns they have went up & up. I'm not saying $750 is a great price for a shooter M1. Look a round & if you can CMP is the way to go.

Good Luck
Ken
Old January 27, 2013, 12:21 AM   #29
Rainbow Demon

The problem of some ammunition damaging a Garand is not due to chamber pressure, its due to excessive gas port pressure caused by useof very slow burning powders, that mostly with bullets exceeding 150 grains.
The Garand was originally intended to handle both M1 and M2 Ball but they found it operated best with M2 Ball.
They also went to single base powders almost exclusively for .30-06 Ball before WW2. Single base powders gave a lower gas port pressure, so the gas port was sized for that propellent which made it a hair over sized for the higher port pressure of double base powders. The same situation caused failures of the M16 when excessive gas port pressures over stressed the mechanism.
Some matchgrade 7.62 will cause problems with some FN FAL rifles for the same reasons, excessive gas port pressure causing early opening while the case is still fully expanded and held tight to the chamber walls, causing rims to be bent or torn off by the extractor.
With the Garand its more likely to bend or break the operating rod.
Old January 28, 2013, 12:36 AM   #30
Ignition Override

Both are in my gun family, and I shoot the SKS much more often, having ammo bought at decent prices before both elections ('08 and '12).

When you have the cash, you never wait for trouble, as we now have.
Cautious people who only Now have cash and want value must wait for the panic bubble to deflate.

Despite the SKS being used much more often (ammo was bought at .20/rd.), I recommend a Service Grade Garand from the CMP, as long as you
can afford a chunk of M2 Ball ammo to go with it.

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM.