The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 9, 2002, 03:20 PM   #1
cpileri

Location: Peoples Republik of Maryland, Sister State to Kalifornia
is chamber length determined by barrel???

Why?
I have an 870 express magnum in 3" with a 28' bbl. I just bought a 18.5" bbl that has "for 2.75" shells" printed on it.
So does the shells I can use depend on which bbl I have attatched?
I assume so, but it would be nice to use 3" with the short bbl if I can safely do so.
Any answers out there?
Carl
Old January 9, 2002, 03:38 PM   #2
SDC

In short, yes. Using a 3" shell in a 2 3/4" chamber is a dangerous practice, and could result in a damaged firearm or shooter (the fired shell doesn't have enough room to properly open up, causing pressures to jump). You also want to check that your shorter barrel locks up properly when you have it in your 3" receiver, otherwise that could also spell trouble. The other way, however, (2 3/4" shell in a 3" chamber) is no problem.
Old January 9, 2002, 03:41 PM   #3
cpileri

Location: Peoples Republik of Maryland, Sister State to Kalifornia
thanks, ...

So I have to use 2.75's in the shorter bbl, despite what the receiver says?
or is it not compatible at all and I should sell the shorter bbl?
how can I tell if it is "Locked up properly" or better, improperly?
Carl
Old January 9, 2002, 04:42 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Carl....

For 3" shells, BOTH have to be made for them. Doing otherwise qualifies one for the Darwin Awards.Being it's an 870, it probably won't blow up the first time you do this, but it will not be pleasant.

The obverse is true. Shorter shells will work in the 3" chamber.

Use short shells in that short bbl. This really creates no problem. 2 3/4" shells, with proper loads, are suitable for everything but long range waterfowling,turkey, and some special purpose stuff.

Two of my 4 12 ga 870s are 2 3/4" only, my oldest and newest. Except for slug testing, one that is chambered for 3" shells has never had them in it.
My freezer can testify to its effectiveness sans Magnums.

The other 3" Mag capable is Frankenstein, my overpublicized home built utility 870. Except for geese, all the wide variety of activities and game that have fallen to this using shotgun have been with dinky little 2 3/4" shells.

HTH....
Old January 10, 2002, 12:05 AM   #5
PJR

Carl:

I had a similar issue with an 870 -- a magnum receiver and a spare 2-3/4" barrel. The shorter chambered barrel fit the reciever properly and 2-3/4" shells fed without problem. As noted previously don't put the 3" shells into the shorter chambered barrel.

I don't usually use 3" shells. I've found 2-3/4 plenty adequate for the task and easier on the shooter too.

Paul