The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old July 28, 2012, 12:31 AM   #1
scottd913

new to the casting

hello all you fine people's im new to casting and wanted to warn you all im sure there will be many questions comming your way just wanted to say hi!!!
plan on doing shotgun slugs this weekend will report back on how they came out got about 20lbs of ingots made up and a new mold came this week.
Old July 28, 2012, 02:36 AM   #2
Shootest

Bring on the Questions, there are many here that will be happy to help.
Old July 28, 2012, 08:43 AM   #3
hornady

You did not mention the alloy you intended to use. Years ago I cast shotgun slugs with a Lee mold, I never did get them too shoot that well. But as with Muzzle loader bullets you want too use almost pure lead, an easy test for this if you can scratch the ingots with your thumb nail its good for shotgun slugs or muzzleloader bullets.
Old July 29, 2012, 06:07 PM   #4
grubbylabs

Yup we know it all just ask us

This is one of those hobbies where every time you participate their is a learning opportunity if you look for it.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old July 29, 2012, 11:46 PM   #5
scottd913

well today my step father and i cast our first shotgun slugs, the first few had to go back into the pot but once we got the hang of it it went well. we cast about fourty slugs ...i know that is'nt alot but when its 103 here and two old guys it was enough. one question is they were frosty more so than shiny...any reason for that or is that right?
Old July 30, 2012, 06:15 AM   #6
hornady

Frosty bullets the alloy was a little hotter than need be. But the frosty bullets shoot just as well as the shinny ones.
Old July 30, 2012, 06:36 AM   #7
dahermit

What kind of slugs are you casting? The reason I ask is, if they are the traditional hollow-base slugs, not the solid type that fit inside a plastic wad, they recomend only using pure lead, not wheel weights...if that is what you are using for an alloy.
Old July 31, 2012, 09:35 AM   #8
scottd913

yes we are using the lee 12ga mold that has the key slot in the hollow portion of the slug
Old July 31, 2012, 12:53 PM   #9
snuffy

Quote:
yes we are using the lee 12ga mold that has the key slot in the hollow portion of the slug
Which one? They make two, a 7/8 and a one ounce. It doesn't really matter which one, just curious.

As for the "frosty" look, that's just fine. ALL of mine are a dull silver color, some call it "frosty", I call it perfect!

As for the recommended pure lead, that's IF you're going to be hunting with them. Then you want them soft so they can expand. If made from pure lead, you'll find them a lot harder to make, lots more rejects because of poor fill-out. Also, the need to run the pot as hot as it will go.

To my way of thinking, a 12 ga. hole in the ribs of a deer lets a lot of blood escape, and a lot of air into the lungs, so they collapse. WW lead is soft enough to expand a bit, and is a lot easier to get good slugs with.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 2, 2012, 09:08 PM   #10
scottd913

they are 1oz slugs thx