The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 12, 2005, 02:30 PM   #51
PythonGuy

I am an adult with a wife and two children, not a college student. I live in NY so carrying a gun is not even an option as it is illegal in NYC and on Long Island. If I chose to, I could carry to and from the range as my permit allows me to do that, but I don't even want to be in the situation of having to use a gun, period. Its hardly perfect here, but we can't carry guns so we grow up and hopefully develop street smarts on how to avoid trouble and survive. There are times a gun can save a life no doubt, if its legal where you are thats fine, learn how to carry and use and then follow the laws. Remember though, its not the panacea some make it out to be, people who carry still get killed, sometimes even with their own gun. Flashing in a car wash isn't exactly smart, now is it? Good shooting to you.
Old May 12, 2005, 02:43 PM   #52
DAVID NANCARROW

Shame that your elected officials won't allow you the choice of protecting you and yours. Sorry.
I know you have crime in NYC-lots of people in close proximity makes it inevitable. For those who have developed street smarts, thats obviously survival, but I would not want to stake my life on it as a last option. Nor do I believe the government has the right to make that decision, but until the people finally speak up, the law will stay in place.

Flashing a firearm in public anywhere is not a bright idea to me, unless your locality has open carry. Never did that, and I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with it.

I agree with you that carry is not always the answer, and for a few people, maybe not always smart, but I defend the right.
Old May 12, 2005, 02:53 PM   #53
PythonGuy

Of course I am NOT against guns or their carry in the least, just irresponsible gun owners who think because they carry they are now Peace Officers. That does rankle me but I realize its mostly just talk, so I'll just relax for the rest of the day.
Old May 12, 2005, 03:44 PM   #54
DAVID NANCARROW

Gee, Pythonguy-if I had the chance for the rest of the day off, I might want to toss some lead down range
Old May 12, 2005, 05:40 PM   #55
steelersfan0000

Has anyone ever been muged robed ect... at a car wash.
Old May 12, 2005, 06:06 PM   #56
PythonGuy

David, that I agree with you 100% and if I was off I'd be the first to go with you.
Old May 12, 2005, 06:17 PM   #57
dasmi

Quote:
Of course I am NOT against guns or their carry in the least, just irresponsible gun owners who think because they carry they are now Peace Officers.
I don't think anyone here thinks that.
Old May 12, 2005, 06:31 PM   #58
PythonGuy

Dasmi,

Read between the lines my friend, I am not saying all do, but you can pick out a few and they can ruin it for all shooters. Don't you think that some who carry get a chip on their shoulder and kinda look for trouble? I do
Old May 12, 2005, 07:23 PM   #59
coloradochuck

Wow!!!

I'm a newbie here to this forum and you folks have got me a bit nervous.
You mean I should be keeping one hand on the scrub brush and the other hand on my Ruger when I'm at the car wash? Hmmmmm!
I guess no more car wash for me without "cover me, I'm going to wash my truck"
Old May 12, 2005, 07:39 PM   #60
PythonGuy

HAHAHAHAHA, Don't drop the soap coloradochuck, I think that rag guy is looking at you funny, you talking to me? you talking to me? there ain't no one else here! Whoa, thats the Taxi driver. Wheew, almost plugged the cashier, she was coming at me funny though............
Old May 12, 2005, 10:29 PM   #61
pamick

OK, I know I'm going to get flammed, but there seems to be no end of paranoia and finding reasons to be on "condition red" by some folks. I wonder how some manage to change their underwear without fear their ass is not covered.
Old May 12, 2005, 11:50 PM   #62
S.E.R.T.SGT

Usually just wash mine in the front yard, so I don't have to worry about it.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lighting they
Do not go gently into that good night.

Dylan Thomas

S.E.R.T.SGT
Old May 13, 2005, 12:30 AM   #63
coloradochuck

Again....."WOW!!!"

Where are you folks living that you have a fear of going to the locale carwash??? Can you not move to a safer community?
Old May 13, 2005, 12:43 AM   #64
Garand Illusion

Quote:
there seems to be no end of paranoia and finding reasons to be on "condition red" by some folks. I wonder how some manage to change their underwear without fear their ass is not covered.
GREAT! Now I've got something ELSE to be scared about.

I go to the carwash the same way I walk to my car downtown -- I keep my eyes open, but I don't let a perceived threat stop me from doing what I want to do when I want to do it. And in either situation if I have a .38 close at hand ... so much the better.
Old May 13, 2005, 01:50 AM   #65
univtxattorney

I have two irrational fears:

(1) Clowns
(2) Car washes

Especially the brushless automatic ones where you sit in the car and wait for the wash to finish. I always fear that I am going to get shot up in the car wash, especially when the soap is covering the windows and I can't see out. I feel like Santino at the toll booth in The Godfather. Of course, this is pretty stupid because the BG would have to get all wet shooting me, and sometimes the water pressure is strong enough to knock someone down.

As for clowns, I hate the way they are so damn cheerful...

DALE GRIBBLE: You're telling me there's a poorly-trained, quasi-legal police force that operates with few, if any, government controls? IT'S ABOUT TIME!
Old May 13, 2005, 01:52 AM   #66
univtxattorney

Quote:
Has anyone ever been muged robed ect... at a car wash.
I haven't, but here in Austin there was a spree of abductions at local car washes several years back. The whole town rode around in dirty cars. Pretty much the same as now...

DALE GRIBBLE: You're telling me there's a poorly-trained, quasi-legal police force that operates with few, if any, government controls? IT'S ABOUT TIME!
Old May 13, 2005, 10:51 AM   #67
PythonGuy

I shot a "Hot Wax" dispenser once, it was a lookin at me funny. A garbage can once gave me attitude too....
Old May 13, 2005, 12:11 PM   #68
Rickstir

The closest car wash to my work is a real hip-hop hang out. I live 50 miles away and there is a good car wash in a small town along the way. If I can't get to it at home, I wait until I get there. 2 years ago, here in Columbia, MO where I work, there was a homicide at a car wash. Don't know the details of that one. But ever since, I have not stopped locally to wash my truck.
Old May 13, 2005, 01:53 PM   #69
PythonGuy

There have been plenty of homicides taking place in a bank, have you stopped going into banks to? I must be one of the bravest guys on the planet, no carry gun, go to car wash's, banks, restaurants . Get this, last night my wife and I went out to eat!! No gun! what a rush...................

Last edited by PythonGuy; May 13, 2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old May 13, 2005, 01:57 PM   #70
univtxattorney

Quote:
Get this, last night my wife and I went out to eat!! No gun! what a rush...................

Man... some of us don't like to live on the edge... Quit bragging!

Old May 13, 2005, 06:10 PM   #71
Garand Illusion

Quote:
There have been plenty of homicides taking place in a bank, have you stopped going into banks to? I must be one of the bravest guys on the planet, no carry gun, go to car wash's, banks, restaurants . Get this, last night my wife and I went out to eat!! No gun! what a rush...................
Dude ... if you're still alive by the time this arrives ... that's just CRAZY talk. I get woozy just thinking about going out unarmed :barf: .

As to the post about clown ... yes, clowns are EVIL. They wear masks, and torture little balloons into becoming WEINER DOGS! How WRONG is that.

And the first clown that squirts me with his red flower is going to get a full mag of 9mm's fired at him.

Smile at that, funny boy ...
Old May 14, 2005, 10:10 AM   #72
PythonGuy

Dude, get this,

I survived last night picking up my daughter from afterschool care, lots of "young" punks there if you know what I mean. And today, Its her 8th birthday and we're going to, get this, Jillians, a restaurant/arcade theme restaurant chock FULL of toughs, and we're all going unarmed! Talk about cojones, man we NY'ers are bad. However, when I watch the Yankee game tonight I might be keeping a piece or two nearby. A piece of pizza that is, enjoy the day, walk on the wild side.............

(I really have to stop this goofing around, please all forgive my stupid sense of humor)
Old May 14, 2005, 05:39 PM   #73
BigBoreKindaGuy

Try the ones in Detroit - Everytime I went to wash my sports car I felt like I had to be at the top of my alertness game the entire time I was there. I don't know how many times while I was washing the car I played it out in my mind how I was going to handle the situation. I knew it would probably always start out with two or more perps coming up to the car to tell me how nice it looked and then they would start their crap.

Another place I feel the same way is at an ATM after sundown. I always have the CC ready.
Old May 15, 2005, 07:18 AM   #74
axslingerW

I don't go to coin-ops. or walk up atms. I hate parking garages and pedestian tunnels though. tend to check my gear before entering!
Old May 25, 2005, 08:32 AM   #75
big daddy 9mm

I live in ohio geeeeez

Are you guys serious? this amazing! I am getting nervous too. do you guys live in bad areas or something? Dasmi you are really funny sometimes. I really never thought about it before but you guys are right, you are bending over, making loud noises and have your car door open and the keys maybe in it. GOOD POINT!!! I wish that most people would carry but I guess not all people see things the way we do. I will becareful about people near me. I work on a not so good street and sometimes I am nervous because I get off work around 5:30 in the morning but I do bike which is a plus and I am always watching over my shoulder. its mostly people asking me for money. GOSH I hate that. I would not mind it so much if I were armed But I am not so I want them to leave me the FU<K ALONE!!! is there any tip offs to tell rather someone is following you or not thanks so much!!!