The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 11, 2018, 02:37 PM   #26
tallball

Am I allowed to carry 38 special?

It's loaded with +P, I promise.
Old August 11, 2018, 02:59 PM   #27
drobs

Spent the last 4 weeks pocket carrying my Ruger LC9s Pro. Find with a spare mag in the same pocket as the gun and holster, the outline is rectangular.

Old August 11, 2018, 03:22 PM   #28
Carmady

I picked up a KT P11 a couple of weeks ago because I think it has a lot going for it, like it weighs 14 oz empty, 12+1 capacity with a flush fit mag (15rd mags are available), 5.6" OAL, and rust proof plastic sights. I haven't shot it yet, but it carries very well in a trimmed kydex holster that was made for a G36.
Old August 11, 2018, 06:28 PM   #29
lunger

Quote:
Spent the last 4 weeks pocket carrying my Ruger LC9s Pro. Find with a spare mag in the same pocket as the gun and holster, the outline is rectangular.
Nice LC9. A little unsolicited advice. Use caution carrying anything else in your pocket with your gun. Especially with a soft holster .

Last edited by lunger; August 12, 2018 at 05:33 AM.
Old August 12, 2018, 05:27 AM   #30
Rob228

Quote:
Those carrying less than a caliber that starts with a "4" is kidding themselves.

Today, there is no reason to carry a gun as small as a 9mm when .40 S&W and even .45 ACP can be had in the same size and weight guns.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.
Do you post anything worthwhile or just regurgitate things that you think are relevant?
Old August 12, 2018, 06:58 AM   #31
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallball View Post

I wanna go on the ride too.

Technically same diameter bullet as 9mm. [sigh]

Barrel length can impact bullet performance, some bullets that expand consistently from a 4'' barrel may not from 2''
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/rev...llistics-test/
Federal 130 HST Micro (13'' / .73) and Winchester Bonded 130 +P (13.8'' / .60) both performed well, from a 2'' barrel.

However, if we "allow" 38 special, 380 has same diameter as 9mm too. [/thread]

May as well beat them to it, for those times when a 380 is the literally the best one can do (work attire):
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...llistic-tests/
I'd want it loaded with Hornady 90 gr. FTX CD (13.2'' / .52) or Sig V Crown 90 gr. (12.8'' / .51)
Old August 12, 2018, 07:31 AM   #32
Carmady

+P, as in Purina.
Old August 12, 2018, 12:17 PM   #33
tallball

I like my 38 special LCR in the cargo pocket of my shorts in the summer.

In cooler weather I like my Glock Model 26 OWB under a loose outer shirt.

I carry a tiny 380 when I can't carry a "real" gun.
Old August 12, 2018, 05:29 PM   #34
agtman

Quote:
No, ... for the simple reason that .38 Spec.Ed+P ammo is close enough to .357 magnum that you should be carrying a by-gawd .357 snubby loaded with short-barrel .357 JHP.

If I were going to carry such, it would be my 2.5" Ruger Police Service, loaded hot.
Old August 13, 2018, 05:57 AM   #35
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallball View Post
I like my 38 special LCR in the cargo pocket of my shorts in the summer.

In cooler weather I like my Glock Model 26 OWB under a loose outer shirt
I've carried a XDs 45 acp in the front weak hand pocket of my cargo shorts this summer.

A loose fitting outer (cover shirt) concealed the primary pistol (Glock 35) IWB.

I don't wear less than a shirt & shorts out in public.
Old August 13, 2018, 01:40 PM   #36
Jagrbomb

Quote:
Those carrying less than a caliber that starts with a "4" is kidding themselves.

Today, there is no reason to carry a gun as small as a 9mm when .40 S&W and even .45 ACP can be had in the same size and weight guns.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.
Sorry - I disagree with ya. But, think what ya want.

My 2 main carry guns:

Old August 13, 2018, 04:31 PM   #37
agtman

Minimeters .... abysmal. Good luck though.
Old August 14, 2018, 05:47 AM   #38
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post
Minimeters .... abysmal. Good luck though.
1 more mm is best mm

Old August 14, 2018, 05:57 AM   #39
peterg7

This has replaced the LCP for casual carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 14, 2018, 07:28 AM   #40
Fishbed77

Quote:

Just my $0.02. YMMV.
That's an incredibly ignorant statement. Sorry - I have to call it like I see it.

Science has beaten to death the myth that .40SW or even .45ACP has any significantly more real-world effectiveness than modern 9x19mm defensive ammo. 9x19mm is less expensive, lower recoil, allows for more capacity, and faster follow-up to boot.

One may think they sound tough or smart by spouting off pithy quotes like "those carrying less than a caliber that starts with a "4" is kidding themselves." But the professional world (both those that train and that carry pistols into harms way) are converging on 9x19mm. I can barely think of a single well-known trainer promoting any other pistol caliber than 9x19mm.

YMMV, but I can't think of many reasons one would push for one of the other defensive calibers (aside from the threat of large animals) unless they were just heavily financially invested in them.
Old August 14, 2018, 11:17 AM   #41
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg7 View Post
This has replaced the LCP for casual carry.
If I had to defend myself, I'd prefer a Shield (9mm/40/45) in my hand than a LCP without a doubt.
Old August 15, 2018, 09:51 AM   #42
Pikie

This is a good thread except for a silly comment. I wish I could carry and handle a 9mm or even larger like I used to. My now being disabled prohibits me from being able to operate a lot of handguns. That really stinks because now I am way more of a target in public. In my opinion and experience training always trumped caliber. Nine .380's out of my new S&W EZ into a head and torso is what I count on to make "all aggression cease"! Better than a .22. It's not the best, but do I have any volunteers to be my target? Please think about us gimps when you caliber bash.
Old August 15, 2018, 10:53 AM   #43
Carl the Floor Walker

I have really become a fan of the Small, mild shooting Nano. Love the gun.

And I love the LCR9mm

Old August 15, 2018, 11:32 AM   #44
kenny53

When I started to carry so many years ago I decided on a Glock 19. Lots of reason that I pick 9mm. One big reason was the cost of ammo. I had also studied a bunch of reports on "one shot stopping" power. The 9mm came in last, however only by a couple of percentile. The reports ranked the 40 first, 45acp second, 9mm third. All were in the mid 90% for one shot stopping. The reports may not be worth the paper they were printed on but it was something. If I can stop a bad guy with one shot 94 % of the time I am good to go. Also none of my 9's are single shot. I do carry 45 acp from time to time, but believe 40's are a communism plot meant to divide the country. My 2 cents

'
Old August 15, 2018, 12:04 PM   #45
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikie View Post
This is a good thread except for a silly comment. I wish I could carry and handle a 9mm or even larger like I used to. My now being disabled prohibits me from being able to operate a lot of handguns. That really stinks because now I am way more of a target in public. In my opinion and experience training always trumped caliber. Nine .380's out of my new S&W EZ into a head and torso is what I count on to make "all aggression cease"! Better than a .22. It's not the best, but do I have any volunteers to be my target? Please think about us gimps when you caliber bash.
Thread Hi-jacked?

The Shield EZ is a larger 380 pistol (I Googled it) and may produce little recoil, I've never shot one.

That being said, a 380 may have more felt recoil more than a larger caliber, depending on the pistols.

When I started carrying a 2nd pistol (I call it 2nd option) in my weak hand front pocket, I shot the following one hand weak hand:
LCP 380 with Gold Dot - worst recoil of all, very brutal to my weak hand.
Kahr PM40 - Less punishing one handed than the 380 - I'm not kidding.
Kahr PM9 with CorBon 115 +P - much more tolerable than LCP 380 and easier to hit with.
Glock 43 - easy to shoot quickly & accurately one handed, doesn't point as naturally (in my left hand) as the Kahr.

I wouldn't volunteer to have a cup of urine thrown on me, or be spit on, and neither would incapacitate me very quickly; "I wouldn't want to get shot with it" is not near as good a measure of potential effectiveness than whether the bullets penetrate 12-18'' and consistently expand.

9 out of 9 rounds into the head / torso (100% accuracy) would be over twice a good hit ratio as police with "service" size pistol, very optimistic.
Old August 15, 2018, 12:39 PM   #46
Jagrbomb

Quote:

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

Good video on this subject: https://youtu.be/nycYxb-zNwc

Most calibers have no real world difference of any significant stats... Watch the video....
Old August 15, 2018, 01:27 PM   #47
HighValleyRanch

^^^^^
Thanks, excellent data based video!
According to what I gathered from the video, the best Bug out gun would be a .357 mag revolver!
Old August 15, 2018, 07:28 PM   #48
agtman

Quote:
According to what I gathered from the video, the best Bug out gun would be a .357 mag revolver!
Unfortunately that will require you to be carrying a real gun for back-up, ... that being an autoloader chambered for a caliber that starts with a '4.'
Old August 15, 2018, 07:36 PM   #49
HighValleyRanch

BUG out as in Bugout bag gun (BOB) for the apocalypse, not BUG as in backup gun.
(What they were discussing in the video)
Old August 16, 2018, 08:17 AM   #50
agtman

Quote:
1 more mm is best mm
Yep, that'll work!