The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 7, 1999, 07:42 PM   #1
Patrick Graham

Like a lot of other people I've been getting bulges, rings or belts at the bottom of my 9mm reloads for years. I didn't know what caused it. I didn't worry about it because my 9mm Italian made Beretta 92SB will eat just about anything. Anyway, I met this girl and she has a Glock 26. So, here I am, trying to show her how cool I am because I reload my own 9mm. I filled up her 10 round magazine with my reloads, some of which had bulges at the base. The 3rd round jammed, it wouldn’t go all the way in the chamber because of the bulge. The same round shot just fine in my Beretta. I figured it must be my sizing die that was causing this bulge so I immediately called Midway and ordered a new set of Redding dies. I put the Redding sizing die in my Dillion RL550, ran it all the way down to the shell holder plate and proceeded to reload some more 9mm. They still had the bulge. hmmmmm..

Well, after moping around the house for a few hours I just happened to pick up the papers that came in the Redding die box. Right there, in big letters was the answer… It said

“IMPORTANT NOTE:”
“Carbide pistol sizing dies are not designed to full length size cases.”

WELL… THAT’S NEWS TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It goes on to say..

“Adjust the die to size only that portion of the case that has been expanded during firing. On some cases an undesirable RING or BELT may appear near the base if the sizing die is incorrectly adjusted. This may weaken the case and is not desirable.”

Well, to make a long story short, I backed off the sizing die about 4 turns and the bulge went away. I just hope they feed a Glock 26 after being shot out of a Beretta with a loose chamber and then partially resized.
Old August 8, 1999, 06:55 AM   #2
HS

All I could think of whilst reading was
S#it eh ?
And here 500 million people have been thinking that full length resisizing meant FULL LENGTH !
Learn somethin' NEW everyday !
Old August 9, 1999, 08:45 PM   #3
Reddog

I've experienced the same problem with 38 special. I had a Lyman Carbide that I bought back in the '60's. I recently bought a new set of RCBS dies and thought the problem would go away, but it didn't. I called their tech line and the fellow said it was because the carbide was radiused at the bottom. He said the same thing, that to size lower, use steel dies. I think he said somthing about carbide being brittle, and should not contact the shell holder. RD
Old August 10, 1999, 12:03 AM   #4
alan

The carbide element in carbide sizing dies is very hard, it is also brittle, like the man said. Setting instructions usually caution against die-shell holder contact (using a carbide sizer). For what it might be worth, I have encountered "range brass", 45ACP, that had been fired in Glocks. My 45's are a colt and a kimber. It seemed to me that when I sized this brass, the cases developed a "belt" just above the extractor groove. This did not happen with brass fired in my own pistols. Glocks, I have heard, have somewhat "loose" chambers, though I do not recall seeing many of them malfunction in actual firing. When I see this "belt" develope on pistol brass, I pitch the offending individuals. Why take a chance, though proper die adjustment might cure the problem too.
Old August 10, 1999, 05:30 PM   #5
GreybeardB

In your 9mm the bulge or ring is brass flow at the web.....which a carbide sizer will not remove. I found that some brass will bulge worse than other brands with the same load. And it nearly always happens with max or over max loads. I suppose you could use steel sizing dies & swage the bulge back to specs but I just don't like the chore of lubing pistol brass. So, I built a no-go unit.....a hole drilled & sized to maximum web specs in a small piece of plate steel
& after sizing each case, I drop it through the hole. If it goes, then I know it will chamber in my Bereta. If it won't go, I dump it.

------------------
Ralph in In.