The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 1999, 06:56 AM   #1
Fred S

I have a Dillon 550B. I want to reload M-1 carbine on it but Dillon does not make a die set for it. They offer a combined Redding-Dillon set for $75. I think thats too steep. Anyone use Lee or RCBS or something else on the Dillon for M-1 Carbine?

Thanks

Fred
Old July 15, 1999, 12:30 PM   #2
Cheapo

The price is not so steep when you consider it includes a carbide ($pendy) sizing die, which uses a tapered carbide insert at least two, perhaps three, times as long as those used for straight-wall pistol cases (can you say, "more $spendy?").

I choke on it too. Shop around. Titanium nitride may be cheaper to manufacture with the long tapered working surface needed.

Cheapo the cheap.
Old July 15, 1999, 04:07 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Have you looked for a carbide sizing die, only? And then, get a good used set of standard dies for decapping/flaring, and bullet-seating...Might save some bucks, that way.

I guess the alternative is a good polishing of your used brass...

Best luck, Art
Old July 15, 1999, 04:27 PM   #4
Fred S

Art:

I think Redding makes a carbide sizing die. I'll check, thanks.

Fred
Old July 16, 1999, 04:27 PM   #5
Cheapo

Oh yeah, most or all die makers still say that carbide dies in .30 Carbine require use of case lube. The long bearing surface results in enough friction that cases will get stuck if unlubed.

Ti-Nitride *may* be enough "more slicker", but I'd read the manual first. Chances are you're still going to be lubing cases. The newfangled dies will last much longer, though.
Old July 16, 1999, 08:15 PM   #6
Patrick Graham

I have Lee dies in 30 Carbine on my Dillion RL550. The sizing die seems almost to short to get a nut on. I would recommend Hornady instead.

[This message has been edited by Patrick Graham (edited July 16, 1999).]
Old July 17, 1999, 08:34 AM   #7
Fred S

Patrick:

I tried my nieghbor's .223 Lee dies in my Dillon and I almost ran out of threads get them adjusted. We were going to swap them back and forth but I decided it would take too much adjusting each time I wanted to use them.

I suspected the Lee M-1 carbine dies would do the same.

Thanks

Fred
Old July 19, 1999, 05:58 PM   #8
Cheapo

Lee dies in Dillon toolhead: I just drilled and tapped a hole in the tool head and now use an allen screw to lock the dies in place. Go horizontal, from the side that's not in the U-shaped toolhead channel, and opposite that side. If you go into the "sliding surface" sides, it can get sticky pulling the toolhead (screw hole burrs, and what if an allen screw backs out?)

Enjoy!