The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Fishxhunter

Help with reloading for my 35 whelen

I need some help. I'm trying to reload some barnes tsx 200gr bullets for my 7600 35 whelen. I can't seem to get the bullet depth where I want it. I set the die up with an empty case and get it where I want it but when I load my 57gr charge of IMR 4064 the bullet won't seat correctly. the bullet seats to high in the neck.Could th powder be syopping the bullet from seating all of the way. It looks close to being a compressed load. This is the first time working with the longer barnes bullets. I never had any trouble with my 200gr rn hornady interlocks. This method worked great on them. Does any one have any suggestions. I was also wondering if reloader 15 might work better. Barnes recommends this powder for best accuracy. I wasnt sure if this powder might take up less room in the case. I don't want to push the action of my rifle and cause any damag.

Thanks for any help. FishX

Last edited by Fishxhunter; January 26, 2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Miss spelling
Old January 25, 2011, 04:49 PM   #2
misskimo

Yeh. I know what you mean. I loaded up some 243 bullets the other day with returnbo and it's a full case at it's min load. I went along to 1 gr less than max. And man. You can sure here it crunch through out min to max loads. I won't use barnes any more because they are so long. I'll stick with nosler.
Old January 25, 2011, 04:55 PM   #3
Fishxhunter

Yeah its a little frustrating. I'm 3grs off the max recommended load and only two over the minimum. I cant for the life of me figure out how they fit 60 grains of IMR 4064 into the case. it would be massively compressed with their bullet or any bullet. Thats why I'm asking about reloader 15. Dont know if its a finer powder than the IMR I've never used any of the reloader powders.
Old January 25, 2011, 04:57 PM   #4
misskimo

Maybe 3031. Since it's alittle bit lighter in powder load. 50 g min with the same fps as 4064
Old January 25, 2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Fishxhunter

Thanks misskimo I'll look into that powder as well.
Old January 25, 2011, 07:46 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It would seem like you would have to have a HORRENDOUSLY compressed load for it to effect the bullet seating....

anyway, with default settings, QuickLoad thinks that load would be about 105% capacity. That's a pretty high compressed load, but it's not necessarily undoable.

You should definitely be starting at some load level that is NOT compressed though, if you didn't.

RL15 would be a denser powder but you'd likely still end up fairly significantly compressed at max loads.

If it were me, I'd try Win748. Max load should be in the mid-90% range.
Old January 25, 2011, 10:02 PM   #7
Ideal Tool

Hello, Fishxhunter. If your sure thats a safe load..and powder charge is too high in case...you could use a drop tube. find a brass or copper, I guess aluminum would also work, tube that just fits in mouth of case. With your
.35, 11/32 would be ideal, but probably can only find 5/16" I like to use a tubing ferrill to limit travel in case. I suppose you could get fancy, & solder a cut off neck from a case that would just enter your case mouth, onto end of tubing. A tube from 12"to 24" would probably work.
Old January 26, 2011, 12:31 AM   #8
Fishxhunter

A max or compressed load is far from what I want. The 7600 action does not fair well when pushed to the max presure. I seem to get my best performance from the middle of the range loads. I figured I would start with the powder charge that I used for my Hornady rounds but it didn't give me the clearance to load the Barnes correctly. The 57 grains of IMR 4064 works fine with Hornady but is way to much powder for the Barnes it was definitely compressing the powder a lot. So I dropped back my powder charge to 56 grains and the bullets are fitting nicely now with a little room to spare. That's one grain above Barnes minimum load data recommendation for this powder. That seemed to work out pretty well but i wont know how they shoot till I can get up to the range and shoot them. Im still trying to figure out how Barnes came up with a 60 grain max load for 4064. I usually use my Lyman book but they had no info for this particular bullet. Lyman's base load for this powder starts at 53gr and maxes out at 59gr. I appreciate all of the help.

Thanks, Fishxhunter

Last edited by Fishxhunter; January 26, 2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old January 26, 2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Fishxhunter

Has any one ever Tried bl-c(2) for the 35 whelen. just wondering how it performs and how case filling it is.
Old January 26, 2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

QuickLoad suggests BL-C2 would be a good (almost perfect) choice...

Almost exactly 100% fill at max loads with the 200gr TSX and ranked essentially tied for 1st place in terms predicted velocity at max load. Shows a ballistics efficiency of 30.7% too, which is very good.

All of this will vary a bit based on your actual gun and dimensions of your finished round.

Note: The above information is not actual load data and should not be used as such. Always follow safe reloading practices.
Old January 26, 2011, 09:33 PM   #11
GeauxTide

All the medium IMR and Hodgdon powders(4895,4064,4320,RL-15,3031) I looked at with 200 Hornady RN or SP are in the 55-57gr range. Same thing with my 338-06, albeit my rifle is throated for 250 Noslers. I still have compression past 56gr of 4320. You could consider 55gr of whatever of the above powders, which will give about 2500fps. The load you listed is about a grain off max, IMHO, is too much for the extraction mechanism of the pump.