The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 30, 1999, 12:57 AM   #1
thaddeus

I am loading some new flat point 9mm, and they jam on my factory 10 rd mags that usually function well. All other mags styles work (hi-caps and aftermarkets etc).

Anyway, what is the general remedy for a flat point bullet that fails to feed by nose-diving into the ramp and jamming? It does not come out of the mag, the flat point just catches on the ramp edge and jams.

Should I try making the cartridge longer or shorter overall?

thanks,
thaddeus

[This message has been edited by thaddeus (edited May 30, 1999).]
Old May 30, 1999, 10:51 PM   #2
zot

what kind of gun,my Ruger feeds them fine,
but my old high-power jams,
Old May 30, 1999, 11:03 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Dunno 'bout 9mm, but for .45ACP in Gummint model, I have played with the magazine lips and changed the angle, slightly, that the cartridge exits the magazine.

If you try this sort of thing, use your oldest magazine, and open the lips a few thousandths or so at a time...

FWIW, Art
Old May 30, 1999, 11:06 PM   #4
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Some of the older HPs are like that as they have the "humped" feed ramp; the newer MkIIs and IIIs do not an feed about anything. Vary the loa, but do not seat very much deeper without reducing your powder charge. Sometimes, odd as it seems, seating deeper works better than longer, although "longer" ususally is the way to go. As the previous post mentioned, I'd be quite suspect of the magazines as well. Best.
Old June 1, 1999, 11:16 PM   #5
thaddeus

It is a Glock 19. All my mags work well except the 10 rd new ones. I strengthened the mag spring and viola! It is fixed.

I will still play with the round to try to perfect it, but the mag spring appeared too weak, and was not holding the cartrige straight when the slide pushed the lip of the brass forward.