The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 22, 2019, 09:14 PM   #1
Prof Young

Sig p365 with safety . . .

So I rented the range's sig p365 again and decided I needed one. Smaller than my Ruger SR9C and this time around I was shooting it better than may Ruger. Katie the range lady managed to find me one with a safety and I'll pick it up tomorrow. I know, some of you will tell me that it's a mistake to have safety on that gun. But you gotta carry the gun you are comfortable carrying. We'll see how it goes.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old August 22, 2019, 11:11 PM   #2
Martowski

I bought a P365 w/ manual safety a couple months ago, it's my primary carry gun now. I don't see why people think it's a mistake to have a manual safety, maybe because it's "in fashion" these days to not have one. But, I view it no differently than having a 1911 cocked and locked, and the trigger on my P365 isn't any heavier than many 1911s so it makes sense to me to have a safety.

I love it. Only complaint was the grip texture was rubbing me raw, so I put some Talon grips on it and now it's perfect.
Old August 23, 2019, 09:10 PM   #3
OhioGuy

Because a manual safety will get you KILLED! The internet says so
Old August 23, 2019, 09:34 PM   #4
Martowski

ALWAYS believe everything you see on the internet!
Old August 23, 2019, 09:43 PM   #5
AgedWarrior

Well, isn’t it great that Sig makes them with and without...have it your way! I do!
Old August 24, 2019, 05:07 AM   #6
jmr40

I specifically waited on Sigs with safeties. My full size is the military version with a manual safety and my 365 has one. I've been a Glock guy for years and don't have an issue with striker fired guns without safeties, as long as they are carried in a proper holster. Problem is that there are times when they are NOT in a proper holster. At those times having the option of a safety is a good idea.

Handguns with safeties got a bad rap with some of the poorly designed versions offered on many DA/SA pistols that were common at one time. But the 1911 style safety is a proven design that has worked for over 100 years and never been viewed as a handicap. The Sig safety is the best design on a striker fired gun that I've used. If you don't want it, don't use it. If you do, it's there.

Winston Churchill
Old August 24, 2019, 08:03 AM   #7
sparkyv

BUT you gotta practice defeating that safety! Do not neglect this critical item.
Old August 24, 2019, 08:58 AM   #8
OhioGuy

Can you rack the slide with the safety engaged?
Old August 24, 2019, 10:27 AM   #9
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
BUT you gotta practice defeating that safety! Do not neglect this critical item.
Good word, 'defeat'..or 'pre defeat' and buy a striker w/o a safety..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old August 24, 2019, 03:53 PM   #10
the duck of death

Or just carry w/the safety off. Put it on when holstering. Just ordered one--that's what I plan to do.
Cheapest place I found was--https://www.osagecountyguns.com--for LEO, 1st responder, military or retired military.

Last edited by the duck of death; August 24, 2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old August 24, 2019, 04:36 PM   #11
FITASC

Not an issue for me; I prefer my guns without - but if you like that feature, have at it. I have one handgun with a safety, a 1911. NONE of my others have a manual safety; form revolvers to strikers.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 24, 2019, 05:37 PM   #12
Siggy-06

+1 for carrying what you're comfortable with. My Beretta 92 has a safety, my Glock 23 and LCP does not. Just keep the finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire, and be mindful when reholstering. Enjoy you new Sig Prof. The p365 XL is pretty nice too.
Old August 24, 2019, 09:27 PM   #13
Martowski

Yes, on the P365 you can rack the slide with the safety engaged. This is a nice feature.
Old August 25, 2019, 06:45 AM   #14
USNRet93

Quote:
Or just carry w/the safety off. Put it on when holstering.
If it's on when holstering, isn't it being 'carried' with the safety on?
Or put the safety on, holster, then turn it off??

"Tools not Trophies”
Old August 25, 2019, 11:09 AM   #15
the duck of death

On when holstering the flip it OFF when carring--Not to hard to understand.
Old August 25, 2019, 12:39 PM   #16
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young View Post
So I rented the range's sig p365 again and decided I needed one. Smaller than my Ruger SR9C and this time around I was shooting it better than may Ruger. Katie the range lady managed to find me one with a safety and I'll pick it up tomorrow. I know, some of you will tell me that it's a mistake to have safety on that gun. But you gotta carry the gun you are comfortable carrying. We'll see how it goes.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Don't take this the wrong way, but on the list of things I care about the way some person I don't know and have no interaction with chooses to carry his/her firearm is pretty close to the bottom.

Enjoy your new firearm.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old August 25, 2019, 12:43 PM   #17
Prof Young

Picked up the gun and . . .

Picked up the p365 Friday and put about 100 rounds down range. Gonna have to break in those mags. They are tough to load all ten. So I loaded them and will leave them that way. That's standard practice for my carry guns anyway.

I liked the groups I got and I can see that with more practice I'll be able to get the groups center target at 7 yards.

It joins the stable with my two other carry guns a sig p238 and a kel tec p3AT. Which one I carry depends on the situation. If the weather is warm enough for a vest it it will be the p365.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Old August 25, 2019, 05:07 PM   #18
FITASC

Get the uplula if you do not already have one - best $$ spent for loading mags
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 25, 2019, 05:42 PM   #19
Cheapshooter

Do as you are comfortable with. I'm comfortable without. Be it my LCP, or Kahr CM 9 pocket carried. Be it my Sig P320 Carry, or Springer XD40 Sub Compact carried IWB. None have a manual safety that has to have a seperate, deliberate motion to operate. Why? Because thumbs can slip, thumbs can miss, panicked, high stress situations can make the mind forget important details. I want no other action but pulling the trigger to make my carry gun go boom. All the training, and practice in the world can easily go out the window in the highest stressful situation there is, defending your life.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 25, 2019, 07:39 PM   #20
FITASC

Cheapshooter - +1; I have the same reasoning. "Point and click" like the old Instamatic cameras
Old August 25, 2019, 07:47 PM   #21
elsancudo

When I pull out "Mule", the 12 gauge 19" double barrel, the safety is always off when I take it to go see what caused me to pull it out.
Old August 25, 2019, 08:04 PM   #22
TunnelRat

For a long time safeties were the norm. Did everyone using one forget how to disengage it when the moment came? Maybe, maybe it wasn't an insignificant percentage that did have issues. Certainly the prevailing wisdom these days is to not have a safety (it's treated as Gospel by some). Sadly my carbine and shotgun still have safeties. While I will agree there's a big difference in disengaging a safety on a long gun when moving out of a ready position as compared to shooting after drawing from concealment, I do have to wonder if it is as big of deal as it is made to be. Many gun owners I see shoot have basic marksmanship issues, much less the safety. One less thing is always one less thing, but it's not the only thing.

In 20+ courses I haven't seen one person yet forget to disnegage their safety if that was their primary weapon (people that borrowed pistols with safeties were another story, however). Obviously drills and even force on force isn't the real thing, but seeing as I don't want to pay someone to shoot at me for real it's about as close to that as some people can come. We can poo poo training, but in my experience and the experience of others with a lot of experience training does matter and there's a reason for it, safety or not. Is it a guarantee? Absolutely not, but by that token nothing is and someone could argue our marksmanship abilities will also go out the window and none of us will be able to make any hits so there's no point practicing. The goal is to make training behavior the default reaction.

As I said above, I don't care what someone else does. I also don't feel the need to justify why I carry a certain way (I carry a Glock for the record). It sounds a bit high and mighty, but I say it because the number of people I've seen that seem to feel that need to tell others isn't insignificant. To a point it makes sense. These are decisions that we've convinced ourselves could cost us our lives and it's logically to have strong reasons. But really, I have no intention of being in "your" gunfight. If someone thinks the safety proves no issue and he or she wants one, go for it, and vice versa.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; August 25, 2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old August 25, 2019, 08:20 PM   #23
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnelrat
We can poo poo training, but in my experience and the experience of others with a lot of experience training does matter and there's a reason for it, safety or not.
Back when I thought the 1911 was the only pistol, the thumb safety was never a problem. It was swept down as I pointed the muzzle at the target, and swept up as soon as I came off the target. I can't forget the first time I shot a Glock mostly because it was wildly disconcerting to me having no thumb safety. I got over that, but it took time.

A 356XL with thumb safety would be interesting.
Old August 25, 2019, 11:46 PM   #24
Cosmodragoon

You've got to carry what you are comfortable with. Of course, there are reasons why some of us feel the way we do about manual safeties. It's at least worth considering as your comfort level evolves.

I have two problems with manual safeties on carry guns. First, it's complicated. Look at posts 10, 14, and 15. The fact that there was a misunderstanding at all isn't uncommon. There are different kinds of manual safeties. People have different ways of treating them. There isn't a clear standard such as we have for "trigger safety".

That said, the trigger is the one necessary control on modern firearms. You always have to use that one thing. You can tailor your interface with that one thing via a heavier trigger, double action, SA/DA, etc. Once you add a manual safety switch though, you've got two things. That's double the amount of things between you and shots on target in a bad situation that could develop quickly and chaotically.

Think of it this way. You might have someone or something on top of you. You might be pressed against a surface. You might be tangled up. You might be injured. Your thumb might be broken or your hand might be slick. It might not be ideal to need twice the fingers or twice the time to operate two things.

Those are some serious physical possibilities. Getting back to complications, someone with the second thing on their gun needs to remember to operate that second thing regardless of shock, heart rate, adrenaline, etc. I know everyone here trains enough that they'd never have this problem but every once in a while, somebody in the real world does.

Sure, you could just leave it off. Is there any possibility that it accidentally gets turned on? I don't just mean during normal life. How about under those rough possibilities mentioned above?
Old August 26, 2019, 05:38 PM   #25
rt11002003

I finally decided to buy a SIG p365. Tried both safety and without. I seem to have problems these days when the safety is also on the right side. Guess I don't hold the pistol properly. In some cases it affects the trigger pull, ie. my CZ Tactical Sport. Decided to go without a safety on my new p365. Have several pistols with safety and several without. Forces me to check the pistol in use at the time. Hope circumstances are never such that the small fraction of time to check makes a difference.