The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 20, 2019, 08:05 PM   #1
FloridaGuy

Thinking of getting C&R

I am thinking about getting my C&R. But I have one question is it really worth it? I am seeing C&R guns for very high dollars. For example a M1 Garand semi-auto rifle in 30-06,Springfield receiver selling for over $3,000. Is there anything still available at reasonable prices mostly looking for rifles?

Thanks

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old July 20, 2019, 09:47 PM   #2
Screwball

What rifles are you interested in?

C&R can get you a lot of stuff. Pistols are definitely a big plus, as is sending them to your home (state laws applicable). Are there still deals? There are... just not $89 Mosin Nagants.

Gunbroker and GunBoards are good sources. C&Rs also get you discounts at Grafs, Brownells, and Numrich. If you buy enough, $30 quickly is paid off.

I got my C&R when I was leaving NJ, right when the new laws came up. There was some benefits given to C&R guys... but nothing huge. Being able to buy in other states is nice. I got a Colt Vest Pocket, Colt 1917, S&W Victory (copy of Oswald’s gun), and a beautiful S&W M&P from 1918 with it. Can’t wait to get up to Maine and change the address... and actually use the license with how it was intended.
Old July 21, 2019, 04:28 AM   #3
FAL'er

It's more than worth it just for the discounts you get.
Old July 21, 2019, 03:16 PM   #4
dogtown tom

Worth it? Is that really a question?

An 03FFL "Collector of Curios & Relics" is a whopping $30 for a three year period.....even with my horrific math skills that's $10 a year.

Being that most 01FFL (Dealers) will charge anywhere from $10-$50 for a single firearm transfer, getting a C&R is a no brain required decision.

I stand amused and perplexed when folks assume an 03FFL is only useful or "worth it" to acquire military surplus firearms. That ignores a massive number of guns.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old July 21, 2019, 05:02 PM   #5
Onward Allusion

I had a C&R for 2 renewals and then let it lapse. It wasn't worth it to me and it ain't about the $30.

Most places won't take a C&R FFL even though the firearm in question is 50+. Also, those old guns fall into a few categories: junk guns like H&R's & Iver Johnsons, $1,000+ true collectibles, milsurp import, & 50+. I got enough wall hangers, don't do real collectibles, & got enough milsurp. The only thing that interests me are the 50+ year old guns and sellers don't usually accept C&R's for those.

The other issue I had with getting guns shipped to your home is that rarely does the seller spend the extra few dollars for a Signature Required delivery even if you'd request it. I've had guns left on my porch or in my mailbox. Sure, I got cameras, but I really don't want some stupid kid snatching a package and discovering a gun inside.

Finally, I'd never liked the ideta of getting your book audited. Yeah, I know that you can just go to their offices but it's just one more opportunity to deal with 'em.

I rather spend the extra $20 - $30 and avoid all the other "benefits" of having a C&R.

YMMV . . .
Old July 21, 2019, 09:11 PM   #6
fourbore

Next year the C&R cut off is 1970! Like someone said, that is a LOT OF GUNS. Also a C&R allows you to purchase qualified handgun when you are out of state.

My mileage does vary.
Old July 22, 2019, 01:02 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

No such thing up here. The question is do you want to be required to keep a written record of what you buy and be required to report to some unelected civil servant at the ATF? https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics
"...for over $3,000..." Whoever thinks that's reasonable is a bandit. You can have a properly inspected Special Grade M1 Garand(a rebuild but by people who know what they're doing.) for $1050. Three grand will buy you a 'Good Condition' M1C. No C&R involved, but there are hoops.
Shoot the matches even if you don't have to. Shooting matches is great fun and you'll meet some truly superior people(most of who will let you shoot their rifles).
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/
Old July 22, 2019, 03:50 PM   #8
Ricekila

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL'er View Post
It's more than worth it just for the discounts you get.
I have mine for a year now --- this ^^^

Μολών Λaβέ
Old July 23, 2019, 02:05 PM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
No such thing up here. The question is do you want to be required to keep a written record of what you buy and be required to report to some unelected civil servant at the ATF? https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics
Let's be realistic. If you think the government isn't able to track most legal firearm purchases in one way or another, you are kidding yourself.
Old July 23, 2019, 05:19 PM   #10
FAL'er

Have any of you folks had your bound book audited?
Know anyone who has had their bound book audited?
Old July 24, 2019, 07:18 AM   #11
Fishbed77

Quote:
Have any of you folks had your bound book audited?
Know anyone who has had their bound book audited
No and no.

Not to say it doesn't happen, but BAFTE appears to have other priorities.
Old July 24, 2019, 07:48 AM   #12
fourbore

NO and NO here a well.

Probably not the point. I do worry about following all the rules. When I ask a fellow C&R or FFL a question seems like 5 different answers for many question. I keep the book carefully. I try and be more than 100% straight. I think some people are not as able to read and understand all the rules and perhaps a little ashamed to admit it. I think I am a smart guy and I find it hard know all the ins and outs. It is not for everybody. it is a super benefit for any serious gun nut. it does involve some time and study.
Old July 26, 2019, 02:02 PM   #13
OneFreeTexan

I’ve had a C&R for over twenty years..and it is worth it... obviously. got loads of milsurp’s Enfields, galore. Now it’s to get more of the guns I saw as a teen and as a young man,,,,I think, the Nylon’s qualify now....just picked up a CZ-52 shipped direct to my home..
Don’t really care what the naysayers think,,, too many of those...
I’ve saved loads of money with mine or fees,,, and the local PO always finds it amusing when I get another.
Old August 17, 2019, 09:21 PM   #14
Lexspeed

I'm glad I have an FFL3. Aside from the money I save on transfer fees, there is the convenience factor. I have found many FFL1s and, of course, all FFL3s accept my license for an easy purchase. I do find an occasional FFL1 that, mostly out of ignorance of the laws, refuse to accept my FFL3.
BATF accruate record keeping is no problem for me. I'm a little OCD and keep much more detailed records on each of my firearms.

Each individual must evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of having an FFL3 for their given situation.
Old August 18, 2019, 10:28 AM   #15
noelf2

Not worth it for me. No good deals online anymore. I can do better locally. Had an ffl03 for about 12 years and just let it expire this year.
Old August 18, 2019, 01:58 PM   #16
armednfree

What mine was good for after the bottom fell out? Dealer discounts from several suppliers.
Old August 18, 2019, 08:05 PM   #17
jonnyc

Whoever says they save you money would not make a great accountant!
Yes, they make life and acquisitions convenient and save you on transfer fees, but you end up buying dozens of guns you probably never would have gotten. I am a poster child for the Sure-Why-Not-It's-Cheap-And-Easy-Society.
And don't forget, an 03 does not send their records to the ATF when they decide to give it up, or their records are sadly destroyed in a rabid paper-eating beaver attack.

Last edited by jonnyc; August 18, 2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old September 25, 2019, 09:48 PM   #18
IowaShooter

I've had mine just a few months and made several purchases

Can't say I've found any great deals or experienced big savings... But I've saved the $20 transfer fee I've been paying for years

The convenience of home delivery is awesome
Old September 28, 2019, 07:28 PM   #19
HankC1

When doing face to face, folks want to know you are OK to buy firearms and ask CCW, I don't have one and use my C&R.
Old October 9, 2019, 08:48 PM   #20
IowaShooter

This was the first one I bought using my C&R

Circa 1955 Hi-Standard Sport King 100 Lightweight
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (118.4 KB, 33 views)
Old October 10, 2019, 08:38 PM   #21
IowaShooter

This batch from DK Firearms are C&R and shipped free...

$189

zastava m57 7.62x25 w/one mag
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (73.7 KB, 43 views)