The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 2, 2013, 06:07 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Quick Range Trip!

I couldn't stand it any longer. I just had to go to the range and try out these BOOLITS. These are the Lee R.E.A.L 440 grain boolits I cast the other night. Fired out of my little .58 cal Cabela's Hawken Carbine 22" barrel 1:48 twist. I fired these with 60 grains at first then the last two shots were 70 grains. I was using KIK FFg black powder. I also put on my musket nipple so I could use the musket caps, they are just bigger and I could grab em with my gloves on . In the pic the bulls eye and the top hole was the 60gr charge. The two bottom ones that are dang near on top of one another was the 70 grain charge. I think I might work some more with the 70 grain load. It was just TOOOO DANG COLD out there today to stay any longer. Oh and BTW Bore Butter is USELESS when it is 30 degrees out. I couldn't even get the stuff to come out of the tube. Even with the tube laying on the table and me putting all my weight on it. And if you want to see another boo boo I made go up to the C&R Forum. I guess the cold was freezing my brain cells.

Old January 2, 2013, 06:40 PM   #2
deerslayer303

Oh sorry, according to the laser range finder the target was at 55 yards. When I go back I'll set up a true 25 yard target and zero 2 inches high at 25.
Old January 3, 2013, 02:52 PM   #3
deerslayer303

Need to add that , the Lee REAL bullet was a breeze to load, not to tight and not to loose. I'm liking them. I'm gonna try and get a minnie ball mold and work some of them up also.