The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 14, 2000, 08:29 PM   #26
Steel

Good point on the female dog issue. I am aligned with others in my opinion(in addition to the nose and leg weaknesses I mentioned previously)that the stomach is also a male/female dog that is sensitive. Cut, grab, etc., this soft tissue.
Old January 8, 2005, 04:18 PM   #27
Para Bellum

A shot into the ground helped me

Answering the question which I had asked myself before: I'd cut and stab the dogs throat until it stops moving. This is the only part in your reach in the situation described which is vital and not covered by ribs or skull.

Recently I walked in a park. 5 dogs (2 big, 3 medium sized) ran towards me. No owners in side, no lashes... I stopped. After the dogs were 30yds close, I pulled my 9mm and checked out where I could fire a safe warning-shot into. There was plain lawn beside my path. The dogs ran closer. As they were 5yds before me I fired.

I didn't even fire in the direction of the dogs, but right into the lawn at my side. The dogs virtually truned 180° in a split second and dashed away.

Take care.
Old January 9, 2005, 02:53 AM   #28
DarkKnight01

lots of good advice here, first thing you have to realize is dogs are VERY tuff... we used to have english bull dogs.. these dogs were bred to kill bulls.. a dogs skull structure is much stronger than ours.. and as others have mentioned their upper torso area is very strong... ive seen one of our bulldogs get hit by a truck fly about 25 feet land and tumble another 20 feet.. and just get up and walk away and coughed to catch her breath.. most humans would have serious damage and possibly die from such a blow from a full sized truck.. all together their much stronger than a human... they have less weak spots than we do, and as i mentioned their skull is VERY strong... you can strike a dog in the skull with a blunt object hard enough to kill a human and have almost no effect on the dog.. your best bet is to think like a dog... dogs work on pack order and submit under certain conditions... if the dog is on your right arm.... grab its throat with your left arm and force it to the ground.... once your on top of him your showing that you are dominant and grabbing the throat is instinct for them as it should be for you against a dog... dogs kill by grabbing the throat of their prey... lay on top of the animal and choke him til hes about to die... then release him and see what happens.... he will most likely go away... youve proven to be the bigger stronger dominant dog... however the best way to end the attack is to shoot it before it gets to you... this is perfectly legal and is the fault of the owners... which you can sue them even if the dog never made it close enough to harm you... you can sue them for negligence... dogs have killed many people and your well within your rights to kill one thats ready to attack... i would have no second thoughts about putting a bullet in the head of a charging rott or any breed for that matter.... good luck and when faced by a dog think like a dog =)
Old January 9, 2005, 03:49 AM   #29
38splfan

Dog on weak arm.

Once the dog has my arm, I am shooting it.

My parents own a full-blooded German Shepard that likes to play rough. She is very fond of nipping at arms/hands.
I have found punching in the ribs/stomach firmly to be effective if dog is playful, so maybe punching full force would be effective for attack?

If a knife is all that is available, I would stab at the stomach/lower chest near the sternum. (I am feeling my Springer Spaniel's chest area as I type this). They seem to have a very soft area under the sternum that would give access to the heart/lungs if stabbed at an upward angle. THis seems to be a bit too complex to remember during an attack, but it is an option if you can keep your cool. If not, slashing the midsection would seem effective as other vitals are located there. Also, wife just pointed out that genitals may be an effective stopper, probably more for males than females.
Old January 9, 2005, 06:53 AM   #30
caegal

Years ago I was attacked by a Labrador which was wearing a collar, I managed to grab the collar and litterally lift the dog while twisting the collar. The animal did lose consiousness (or at least close enough), and the owner came and yelled at me! So I guess my tactic would be to go for the collar if it has one, otherwise get a grip around the neck, and with the knife go for a throat cut. Dogs go for the throat, so I suppose I should also.
Old January 9, 2005, 07:15 AM   #31
357MagFan

If you are attacked by a large dog and would rather fight it than run try and grab his jaw and top muzzle, he will thrash his head violently but I think that the average man is strong enough to hold it, now the thing is you better do something to put him out "like break his neck or suffocate him" because if you let go before hes out you got problems.

I discovered this wrestling with my dogs. I have a black lab and an Alaskan Malamute that weighs 140 lbs and hes not fat. Also if you jab your thumb as far back on the tongue as you can go "and I mean hard" it wiLL cause them to gag. also show the dog you are the boss, stare him down and act like you have the power to kill him and most of the time the dog will submit.
Old January 9, 2005, 09:36 AM   #32
Rojoe67

another 2 cents worth here......

If a dog would find me in his sights and I wasn't armed or felt that a firearm wasn't the answer for safety or other reasons here is my plan....

1. Stay in a position head on with the animal
2. If you can reach or have any object to help in the fight make it ready.
example,,, stick, rock, car keys, leather belt, jacket, lawn chair.......anything you can use to protect yourself.
3. If you can use your voice in hopes to get support to your fight...and maybe the owner will hear what is going on. The animal might understand your going to kick it's butt if it continues it's actions.
4. I was near a vehicle when I was charged so I jumped on the hood and maintained a height distance and advantage of the high ground. The dog wasn't able to reach me. At that point I raised all hell until the owner came out and pulled his dog back home.
5. If all above have failed and your now into it with the dog...... as with a lot of creatures it's nose is very good spot to put a hurting. As all are aware the sharp teeth are darn close to the nose so don't hang out in this area. Make the punch or jab with your closed fist fast and deliberate. The animals eyes are another spot of good target to slow or stop his attack.
6. Stay positive and stay eye to eye....dont turn your back, dont run away and if you slip and fall get up instantly and continue the fight. Don't forget your the human and your way smarter than an animal so think about what you are doing or will do.... DON'T CORNER THE ANIMAL OR YOU WILL TURN HIM INTO MORE OF A WOLVERINE THAN A DOG...... now he is what you were previous......and will fight a heck of a lot harder.
7. If you were the victim of his teeth get medical attention NOW....... as most know bites from humans, cats and dogs.....and any animal are able to kill you in a short time because of the bacteria in the siliva.
8. Your life is priceless.......the animal is a small dollar amount if any.... don't feel bad if you have to dispatch (KILL) it. Don't give it a second thought...... survive and if later your in court you have to deal with the dumb owner than that means you survived and that is the whole purpose........ GOOD LUCK
Old January 9, 2005, 11:19 AM   #33
FrankDrebin

Quote:
um ... so what happens when the dog is a female?
Take away her credit cards.....
Old January 9, 2005, 11:50 AM   #34
Meiji_man

LMAO Frank...
can't let the girlfriend see that one...

If a dog has you by the arm, either strong or weak, take your other hand Put your thumb in one eye, and your middle finger in the other and pick the head up like a six pack. Warning you can get your fingers broke this way as the dog thrashes around, but it will make the dog release.

This also works good on two legged attackers....
Old January 9, 2005, 08:55 PM   #35
Derius_T

I have been in this situation, and my advise is shoot it now, and shoot it until it stops moving. Now if you are a big burly young man in good health, you may be able to wrestle a dog around for awhile, but most people do not realize how horribly aggressive, and god-awful violent and strong a big dog, like a rottweiler can be. Kill it....kill it as fast as you can to minimize the damage to yourself....don't be macho......be alive....
Old January 9, 2005, 09:12 PM   #36
drufus

I know this sounds disgusting, but I had a dog trainer tell me to jam your finger or thumb into the dogs anus. :barf: :barf: :barf: I have been attacked three times- one got a 115gr. silvertip, one got a 180gr. 10mm corbon, the other got a face full of halt dog spray.
Old January 9, 2005, 09:25 PM   #37
U.F.O.

Did you do any dog ballistic comparisons between "fast and light" vs "slow and heavy"? (Kidding)

U.F.O.
The low spark of high-heeled boys"
~Traffic - Stevie Winwood~
Old January 9, 2005, 09:37 PM   #38
joab

I've been attacked a few times, here's what I came up with

As far as lifting the back legs, male dogs have a convient handle if you can get to it

If it is a frontal attack and you have no other choice.
Give the dog the arm which should be up anyway protecting your face and throat.
As he takes your arm lift the dog up off the ground by the back of the neck with your free hand along with the arm that's in the dog's mouth.
Drive forward and down to the ground with the dog landing flat on his back and your knee in it's chest and your bitten arm driving forward into the dog's mouth possibly dislocating his jaw.
If done with the proper amount of fear and adrenaline it will successfully thwart a wolf hybrid attack

The best possible way is to have something like a purse or length of hose or something similar that he can bite , hold onto and thrash around while you hold onto it
If his mouth is occupied you will satisfy his bite instinct while you back away to safety (hopefully)

Or use the hose to wrap around his neck lift him up and kick hell outta his nads and stomach. This method done properly has detered a determined large mutt attack
Old January 9, 2005, 11:03 PM   #39
Dwight55

The suggestion to carry a bottle with ammonia & bleach is a deadly suggestion, . . . deadly for the carrier. The gas produced is phosgene, not chlorine, and one good lung full can produce permanent lung damage. More than one lung full can be fatal. Do not do this!!!!!

Many dog owners, trainers, and show persons do carry a small bottle of ammonia and water mixture. They douse a rag with it and throw it on the closest of two dogs fighting, . . . 99% of the time it stops the fight.

I used a balloon with water & ammonia once on a dog that chased my bicycle. It hit the blacktop and splashed on him just a little bit. He never chased me again.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 9, 2005, 11:30 PM   #40
Danindetroit

ammonia & bleach when mixed prduce chlorine gas.
2(parts)NaOCl + 2NH3 --> 2NaONH3 + Cl2

Phosgene gas is a gas that was used in WWI. and is very damaging, it is encountered when plastics burn.
Old January 9, 2005, 11:51 PM   #41
joab

Depends on the recipe
Old January 10, 2005, 12:01 AM   #42
Derius_T

Quote:
I know this sounds disgusting, but I had a dog trainer tell me to jam your finger or thumb into the dogs anus.
Uhhmmm......

tell me......even IFyou decide to try this method.........

how you gonna do it if dog has ahold of your arm........

please, for decencys sake......don't try that........
Old January 10, 2005, 12:03 AM   #43
Danindetroit

None are phosgene gas, I could be wrong, but I believe chlorine, is the easiest chemical created.
Old January 10, 2005, 12:13 AM   #44
XavierBreath

Quote:
Lets say you are attacked by a large dog. He has your weak arm and you have an open folding knife in your right hand. Are there any recommended tactics, or proven methods that are used to end the fight?
Getting back to the original question.............
If the dog already has my weak arm in his mouth, and is steadily ripping it apart, and I have a blade in the strong hand, the dog will soon find that blade inserted through his neck right below his cervical spine, even if my hand has to follow it into his flesh. Once deep iside, it is comming down and slicing through his windpipe, tendons and any arteries I can take with it. Dogs have a hard time continuing to bite with their heads practically cut off.

Of course, there are a lot of ways to prevent yourself from being in this predicament in the first place, and they are highly recommended. Given your scenerio though, that is how I would approach the problem.
Old January 10, 2005, 12:41 AM   #45
Blind Tree Frog

Quote:
I figure if I can carry a 140-160lbs dumbell around gym with one arm a rott aint gonna be that hard considering I dont even have to have a good grip he'll be doing that for me
I'm not so sure I'd be so quick to say that. 150lbs in dumbell form is hardly the same as 150 lbs of dead weight (say your drunk friend) or a 100lb ball of muscle and teeth that's thrashing. Not saying that you couldn't do that, but the dumbell doesn't generally fight to go in a different direction.
Old January 10, 2005, 05:09 PM   #46
Dwight55

My Apologies

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, . . . but sometimes he'll pick up a new thing.

I was wrong in stating that bleach and ammonia produced phosgene gas. I had simply relied on training I was given 35 or so years ago in basic refrigeration class. I was told that burning any of the chlorine rich refrigerants, or mixing bleach and ammonia would produce phosgene, . . . and was told that I took my life in my own hands doing so.

Obviously, after researching my long accepted training, . . . I was wrong.

Thanks for the info, . . . but still don't mix it. Chlorine will seriously mess up your lungs too.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 10, 2005, 06:46 PM   #47
keens

This may be a bit redundant, but if a dog is on my arm, and if I can get my folder out, I am cutting as deep as the AFCK will go...eyes first if I can...then neck area if I can do so safely without cutting myself...I will also go for the spine area...ribs etc. Given a choice with this scenerio, I think the knife may be better than a gun...especially a large knife...the most important thing though in my mind is to suddenly attack back as viciously as the dog with the mindset of kill or be killed.
Old January 10, 2005, 06:59 PM   #48
joab

Quote:
the most important thing though in my mind is to suddenly attack back as viciously as the dog with the mindset of kill or be killed.
At that point you're in a dog fight. He won't be deterred by brandishing or posturing. Your only hope is to respond with the same relentless fury that he would recieve from another alpha of his own species.
Old January 11, 2005, 12:22 PM   #49
mvpel

I think it's also important to be able to read canine body language. If a dog is approaching you with its ears down, he's probably more interested in licking your face than seizing your arm.

We had an interesting demonstration of the power of dog jaws on Thanksgiving, when Rufus, my in-laws' 40-pound Welsh Springer Spaniel, reached up on the counter and grabbed a turkey leg. It took three people working together to get him to release his grip on the delicious loot.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old January 11, 2005, 06:24 PM   #50
CB3

Throat

Having seen a friend's pit bull "play" with a five-pound steel ball bearing, and turn a 3' 2x4 into match sticks for fun in about an hour, I will want to get the fight over sooner rather than later--especially with head shaking and drag attempts going on.

Assuming you already have one arm lost to the dog's mouth . . .

I would suggest, along the lines of many others, that a dog's throat is it's closest and most vulnerable spot. Try to lift the dog up as high as possible and first punch its throat to try to collapse the windpipe. Second move is to grab the throat and throw the dog ahead of you, on it's back, onto the ground and you land on top. Then choke it into submission with both your hands, as the one in it's mouth will likely come free.

The two elements of submission for a dog (most animals) are:

1. On back on ground so legs are useless
2. Throat (kill area) compromised

Take breath away from any animal and it will release/submit.

If a dog is already viciously shaking your arm, getting to your knife or gun and wielding it effectively (especially if you made the mistake of letting the dog get your strong arm) sounds macho but would probably take a lot longer and be more dangerous even to you than using your physical size, leverage, and knowledge of the dog's vulnerabilities to draw the event to its conclusion quicker.

BTW, if you can get a vicious kick or knuckle punch to a dog's throat before he gets to one of your body parts, the fight will likely be over as soon as it starts. Collapse the larynxx/trachea of any animal, including a human, and there won't be any fight left in it. You don't need a gun or knife for this, just knowledge of how to do it.

If I had a knife out and the dog was on my arm, I would go for it's throat. It's close and vulnerable.

Getting behind a dog that's attacking you is about impossible--only good for getting it off someone or something else by grabbing legs or other body parts, and if you don't do substantial damage at that end, it's going to turn and get you. I'd rather kick it with all the force possible between the hind legs--male or female, attempting to break it's pelvis even, rather than grab onto it.

If you have to shoot--I've seen too many anmials shot that do not stop their activities, and it is too hard with all that commotion to think you can get a CNS shot the first time. Break the pelvis or both shoulders and you will stop the attack--just like dangerous game, which a dog attack is.

Just my thoughts. CB3