The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 17, 2011, 08:51 AM   #1
Gator Weiss

Loading all brass 12ga 2.5 inch shotgun shells

Scored a Baikal Coachgun the other day. Has 2.75" chambers. Has 20" barrells with screw-in choke tubes.

I am finding 12 gauge all brass shells designed to take pistol primers out there for roughly a buck a piece. I want to load some all brass shells to play with in the Baikal out on the range or in the woods. Want to load some birdshot and some buckshot - probably #4 buck.

Are any of you loading all brass low pressure (but load bang) all brass shotgun shells in black powder?

Has anyone tried these with Pyrodex CTG ?

Any comments on newspaper wads / tissue paper wads / cotton wad vs conventional card wads, etc?

Interested in thoughts on the subject and any techniques our fellow posters might be using.
Old January 17, 2011, 10:42 AM   #2
denster

Congrats on the coach gun. I've got two of them one in 20 and one in 12GA. You probably allready know that Tru-Chokes fit the Baikals. Might want to consider trying some slugs also. Both of mine will put R/L groups into 4" at 50yds with the inexpensive Rem and Win rifled slugs. Kind of a poor man's double rifle.
Old January 17, 2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

I frequently use Matech brass shells in my SxS shotguns. Best source for wads is Circle Fly. Over powder cards, and cushion wads shoult be 11 ga to fit properly. Over shot cards should be 10 ga for a good tight fit. Water glass (sodium Silicate), duco cement, hot glue, Elmers glue, or ??????? will seal them off and keep the shot in when handled and bouncing around in your pocket.

While I've never used Pyrodex, ffg APP and real ffg BP work very well. My normal load is 70 gr BP, over podwer card, cushion wad, 1 1/8 ox #7 1/2 shot, 10 ga over shot card and water glass sealer. I use the RCBS 12 ga dies set to put a slight roll on the case mouth so they're easier to drop in the SxS barrels.

There are probably as many methods in loading brass hulls as there are reloaders. Unlubed fiber wads, plastic wads, wasp nests, toilet paper, milk cartons, cardboard boxes, are being used as wads and cards. BP, APP, Pinacle, Pyrodex and T7 in granulations from Cannon to fffg are used as are most if not all shot sizes that vary depending on what they're being used for.

I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite load.

Load up and have some fun.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 17, 2011, 09:35 PM   #4
Hawg

Pyrodex works fine.
Old January 17, 2011, 10:01 PM   #5
Hardcase

I use Fingers' method (I probably learned it here from him) just as he posted above. I use Pyrodex R because black powder isn't available in my parts. Instead of water glass, I just use a bit of Elmer's glue around the edge of the card.

Works like a peach in my hundred year old Janssen & Sons farmer SxS.
Old January 25, 2011, 07:58 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

anyone ever try loading brass hulls with Trailboss ???

& how about annealing the mouth & roll crimping an over shot card ???

I've heard the cases are quite hard & split easily, so annealing might not be a bad idea anyways ???

also have heard of people having trouble using the balloon head cases with smokeless powders... not sure if Trailboss would be better than those "other powders" tried ???

thought the case head could possibly even be filled with lead or epoxy or ??? if the open head design didn't work well with smokeless ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; January 25, 2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old January 25, 2011, 09:49 AM   #7
Noz

Crimping is not necessary and will in fact limit the life of the brass hulls.