The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 29, 2004, 05:29 PM   #1
mongo523

concealed carry at the gym

Greetings all, today I got to thinking about those of you lucky enough to have the right to conceal carry. I went to the gym and was carrying a smallish fixed blade, as I often do in the winter. I picked a corner of the locker room where I could position myself as I disrobed in order to conceal my fb. Then I got to thinking about it sitting in the locker (locked of course) as I was working out. I would be pissed if someone stole it, but would be heartbroken if my CCW piece were stolen. Since I live in Illinois, that isn't going to happen any time soon.
So, how and/or what do you CCW'ers do with your gun when you go to the gym? I usually go during the middle of the day, and my gym is in a nice enough area... but not everybody is this fortunate.
Let me hear your thoughts,
Mongo
Old December 29, 2004, 06:12 PM   #2
CB3

Change at home

I live close enough that I change at home, so my gun stays in my Thunderwear right where it does all the rest of the day. The gun would come out of my sweat pants/shorts at the gym only if my hips went vertical, and I do not perform any gyrations where that happens.

CB3
Old December 29, 2004, 07:40 PM   #3
U.F.O.

A crook with bolt cutters stole my wallet a couple of years ago from the locked locker in the dressing room of my gym. They have since installed security boxes large enough for small personal effects that are much more difficult to break into. A small pistol would fit in these. I would avoid feeling confident of the typical Master combination lock setups with standard lockers that most gyms offer, unless the lockers were in visual range while you're on the workout floor. I'm going to get a portable gun safe and have it bolted to the floor of my car. If there is any doubt of my ability to secure the gun inside the club, it stays in the vehicle.

U.F.O.
The low spark of high-heeled boys"
~Traffic - Stevie Winwood~
Old December 29, 2004, 07:42 PM   #4
pax

Fanny pack.

pax
Old December 29, 2004, 07:48 PM   #5
Marko Kloos

The gym is the only place other than on the motorcycle where I actually wear a fanny pack.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old December 29, 2004, 10:51 PM   #6
doubleaes2

CB#, not to hijack the post, but how do you like your thunderwear? what do you carry in it?

adam
Old December 29, 2004, 11:50 PM   #7
Derius_T

One of the only times where I will permit myself to wear a fanny pack.
Old January 4, 2005, 04:20 PM   #8
abelew

If your worried about carying at the gym, then you have too much to worry about. Just leave the darn'ed thing in your car. Those lockable safes that you bolt to your car (unless you have a trunk) are just asking to be robbed, as a theif looking through the window would know there was something he wasn't supposed to have in it. I just put mine in my glove box.
Old January 4, 2005, 05:53 PM   #9
U.F.O.

A thief can't see those portable gun lockboxes on your back seat floorboard, especially if you have tinted windows. A car glove compartment is the absolutely worst place to leave a gun. The glove box is the first place broken into after a BG gains entry to your vehicle. All it takes to break a glove box lock is a tire tool.....POP. They're in and you no longer have a pistol.

U.F.O.
The low spark of high-heeled boys"
~Traffic - Stevie Winwood~
Old January 4, 2005, 06:03 PM   #10
keens

I leave mine in the car as well...but if I were having to walk a long way back to my car in the dark, I would have to think of something else. I do leave my folder (Benchmade AFCK) in the pocket though...it is the only weapon I am really never (almost) without. There is a cold steel folder in the other pocket by the way...
Old January 5, 2005, 12:57 AM   #11
Timulator

I try hard to avoid leaving my gun in the car and agree the glove box is about the worst place to put it! Just ask the Chief of Police for Seattle PD--on 12/26 he had his department-issued Glock 26 stolen from the glove box of his unmarked city car parked in downtown Seattle! Oops!

Were I to go to the gym and couldn't lock my gun securely and privately in the locker room, I would carry it in my "Thunderwear." I'd probably carry like that even if I could lock it up. "Thunderwear" is absolutely ideal for wearing under shorts or sweat pants. Then shower when I got home.
Old January 6, 2005, 07:50 AM   #12
SNoB

Ive always thought "geeze, ill never wear a fanny pack" but since I should be getting my CHL cleared in a few months they are looking better and better for going to the gym.
Old January 13, 2005, 12:59 AM   #13
13roundclip

fanny pack
Old January 13, 2005, 08:31 AM   #14
CB3

Waist pack

Why would anyone wear one of these while exercising in a gym--if he/she wasn't trying to hide a gun? I don't recall ever seeing anyone wear one at the gym I infrequented. I would think it would just get in the way, and what would one "need" from such a device when exercising with all kinds of amenities nearby?

While legal, to me it would just scream, "GUN!" CB3
Old January 14, 2005, 11:48 AM   #15
Ohio Annie

Gym fanny pack

At the gym my fanny pack has my training diary, water bottle, CD player, locker key, etc. And it's not a fanny pack, it's a Fast Action Gun bag! Or is that a Fast Action Water Bottle/training diary/CD player bag?
Old January 16, 2005, 09:58 AM   #16
Sweatnbullets

To me the fanny pack would scream "smart guy that does not want his valuables rip off." Wallet, cellphone, pda, and oh yeah! gun and folder
Old January 16, 2005, 10:13 AM   #17
yorec

ER - work out? How do ya think I'd keep my waistline ifn' I did that? My pants'd fall off...

(seriously - another fanny pack wearer)
Old January 18, 2005, 11:12 AM   #18
warhammer357

I used to carry a .357 J frame in an IWB rig in my waistband of my gym shorts....
Of course, it made me feel a little too much like Conan or something.

If I went back to working out again, I would probably just stick it in a gym bag......
If somebody attacked me at a gym, I would hit them with a 45 pound dumbell.
Old January 24, 2005, 10:27 AM   #19
compulsive269

I get nervous leaving my G26 in my car. I have a lock box bolted to the floor and still worry. Most BG's use screw drivers to steel a car so breaking into a floor box wouldn't take much. Then, there is the problem of having your car stolen. Can't leave the gun in the locker or car without worring and don't want to carry in the gym, so I try and consider which event is most likely to occure. Will I need my Glock or will my car be swipped. I know, you can't predict an attack like you can't predict anything else with any reliability. So, I just leave the 26 at home when I work out or need to go someplace where I can't carry. I don't like the feeling!
Old January 24, 2005, 10:43 AM   #20
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

compulsive269 - If the firearm in the lock box was a $150 Makarov, would you feel any better?

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10