The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 11, 2001, 09:50 PM   #1
Joe Portale

Llama project, part III, fitting a barrel.

Over the past few months I have been trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. So far so good. I have tightened the slide to frame, smoothed the action and a few other little bits. So far the gun has gone from 12" groups at 15 yards to about five. Still not stellar, but it is getting there.

I am planning on replacing the existing barrel and bushing. I have read the books on this, bit there is nothing like real experience. My concerning is how to check and adjust the lockup. Can some one give me a little advise on the fitting of the lockup?

BTW, this is an older Llama 1911 Especial in 38 Super. It is one of the good ones where the metal is not all soft and squishy.

Thanks!

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old November 11, 2001, 10:19 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Joe,

That Llama is a copy of the Colt Model 1911A1 and whatever applies to the M1911 in that area would apply to the Llama also. You might get a copy of Jerry Kuhnhoausen's book on the M1911 and follow the suggestions.

If your barrel is in good shape, you might get away with shimming the barrel skirt and maybe using an oversize link. It will take some study on your part.

I don't know if you can get oversize barrels for that gun or whether anything made for the M1911 will fit. There would not be too much point in buying a new Llama barrel, as it will likely be as sloppy as the original.

Try to see if a M1911 barrel will fit or can be made to fit. If so, check Brownells for barrels and bushings. They have both "drop ins" and ones that have to be fitted. The latter might be your best bet since your gun is not an M1911, but they are not cheap.

Some gunsmiths might be willing to tackle building up and fitting your barrel, but that would also be a "money pit" as someone else said about a gun project.

Jim
Old November 17, 2001, 10:56 PM   #3
Joe Portale

Jim,

I have the Kuhnhoason's book #1 and didn't see anything on shiming the bushing skirt. Can you elaborate a bit? I'm visualizing adding material to the back OD of the bushing.

- St Paul
Old November 20, 2001, 01:45 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sometimes those Llamas have too much room width wise in the frame where the barrel feet fit. This can be dealt with by welding or attaching shims to the frame to fill the gap. You probably won't know what you need to do until you get the barrel and see what is involved.

Jim
Old November 20, 2001, 08:29 PM   #5
Joe Portale

Jim,

GOTCHA!

Thanks,

Joe

- St Paul