The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 26, 2001, 01:36 PM   #1
rrwildlife

Howdy all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some information about a rifle I inherited. About all I know is that my grandfather had won it in a poker game and it was passed on to me after his death, along with a box of .270 ammo. One the side the rifle is marked
CESKOSLOVENSKA ZBROJOUKA, A. S., BRNO
VZ.24

7810 V3

It seems to shoot well, a little over an inch at a hundred yards. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Old January 26, 2001, 03:49 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The rifle is a Czech Model 1924, often called the "VZ 24" (Vzor = Model). It was produced as a commercially made military rifle and sold to dozens of countries around the world. Many were used by Germany in WWII, and those were then used by other nations in the post-war period.

The original calibers would have been 7mm Mauser, 8mm Mauser, or 7.65mm Mauser. .270 is not the original caliber so the rifle was rebarrelled when made into a sporter.

The VZ 24 action is considered among the best of the 1898 type Mauser actions, having always been well made and very slick. If the work was done well, you have a fine sporter rifle, but not one of great monetary value. Sporterized Mausers are common and usually bring only about $200 on the used gun market unless the work is very well done, which is the exception.

What you want to do with it or how much you want to put into it is up to you. If it does not have a scope, you might want to have one mounted. Additional work would depend on your wants and, of course, your pocketbook.

Jim
Old January 27, 2001, 07:05 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Wildlife:
Just to add a little to what Jim has already said.

CZECHOSLOVAKIA
Mauser:
Other Names: Mauser-Jelen
Model: 98/22 Rifle:
Short Rifles:
VZ-24 VZ-33 and
Mauser system rifles in 7.9mm
Mfg: Brno
Year of Mfg: 1923-24

Guns used by the Czechoslovakian forces were distinguished by a crowned twin tailed Lion of Bohemia W a shield on its breast. They were also marked CSK CSZ for Czechoslovakia and
Czechoslovakian Statni vbrojovky. The export weapons usually bore the marks of Czechoslovakia Zbrojovka, Brno.

Czechoslovakia seized independence from Austria-Hungary at the end of WWI, gaining the nucleus of an effectual arms industry from the Skoda factory and many Austro-Hungarian, German and Russian rifles. A factory was created in Brno to make Mausers, equipped with Austro-Hungarian or German machinery supplied as war reparations.

HJN