The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 2013, 01:06 AM   #1
mwdsonny

New Loader needs help.

I'm new to reloading, and trying to reload .380 acp for my Bersa 380 cc. I haven't tried making any live rounds. I have a lee load master progressive press, and for the .380 I have a lee die set (3 dies in set). I make some dummy rounds to see how the bullets fit in my gun. they seem to chamber fine, but if they aren't the first bullet to chamber they get stuck in my mag. I am using 115 jhp rounds which I know is heavy, but my load but list it as a valid round. 1 thing I have noticed is that the bullet is bulged where the bottom of the projectile is. 1 thing I know which might be part of the issue is that the .380 uses .355 diameter bullets, and I bought 9mm .355 diameter bullets, but I assumed that .355 is .355 and the weight is the weight. but like I said they chamber fine, just jam in the mag.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:09 AM   #2
jimbob86

Does the gun feed factory rounds?

Are your dummy rounds different in any dimension from the factroy rounds?

Pics would help, I think.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:16 AM   #3
Nick_C_S

The .355 is the correct diameter bullet. I don't load 380, but the 115 is an awfully heavy bullet for 380. I know Speer #14 doesn't have any load data for 380/115, but I'll let the 380 loaders give the definitive answer on that.

The bulge at the bottom of the projectile might be associated with the large bullet having to be seated so deeply into the case.

Most likely, they aren't fitting into the magazine because they aren't seated deep enough (despite the mentioned bulge) and the overall length is too long. The maximum COAL for 380 is .984. But your specific magazines may require them being even shorter.

A lot of speculation here. But it's stuff to consider, at least.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:17 AM   #4
mwdsonny

how can I load a picture? and load diameter on case is .374 and mine is reading .376 but like I said they chamber fine, just hang in mag if not first out mag.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:20 AM   #5
Chaz88

I think you need to find a bullet more suited to .380. Stuffing too long a bullet in that small case could cause serious pressure problems in a live round. You will also need something to measure the over all length (COAL) so that you can meet the specification that will fit your magazine.

EDIT: You said you are new to reloading. The best thing you can do at this point is read your manual slowly and carefully, it can cover a lot of things we have no way of knowing we need to tell you. If you do not understand something this is the place to ask.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:22 AM   #6
mwdsonny

As far as the over all length I am .001-.019 under max.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:23 AM   #7
jimbob86

Quote:
how can I load a picture?
From the FAQ page:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/faq....b3_attachments
Old December 14, 2013, 01:24 AM   #8
mwdsonny

Old December 14, 2013, 01:28 AM   #9
Chaz88

That manual shows data for 115grn. Probably just need to set a bit deeper to fit your magazine and start at the low end of the powder charge.

EDIT: Also make sure you are taking the flare out of the mouth of the case when you crimp, it could also cause it to hang up.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:29 AM   #10
mwdsonny

these are 2 difference bullets, in which I tried different crimping, im wondering if I need a factory die crimp.
those are identical dummy loads, both 115 jhp.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:33 AM   #11
jimbob86

Now I remember the other reason I did not buy a .380: with that tiny case and less than a grain between start loads and do not exceed loads ..... take care measuring powder, my friend!

...... so the only measurement that exceeds the factory load measurement is where the cas is "bulged", possibly by the bullet?

Try a Lee Factory crimp die- I've use mine in 9mm to turn badly "remanufactured" ammo into usable plinking fodder in my EMP.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:34 AM   #12
Chaz88

Hard to say from the picture but they look over crimped to me. The one on the right looks like the case might also be buckled a little. Hopefully a few more eyes will take a look and maybe can read the picture better than me.

Old December 14, 2013, 01:36 AM   #13
mwdsonny

How do I take the flare out the mouth? I have the die set up station
1 deprime/resize
2 empty (priming station)
3 powder through die expanding die
4 seat/ crimp
5 empty (should I get factory crimp and only use station 4 to seat bullet?)
Old December 14, 2013, 01:37 AM   #14
jimbob86

Quote:
Probably just need to set a bit deeper to fit your magazine and start at the low end of the powder charge.
Setting the bullet deeper reduces space in the case, raising pressures ...... and there's not a lot of distance between Okie-doakie and aw, crap! there .....

Were it me, I'd opt for a lighter bullet ..... more wiggle room there.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:39 AM   #15
Chaz88

I do not know much about FCD's. But you are definitely taking the flair out. It looks over crimped to me. I am going to hold off saying more tell some others take a look at the pictures.

Old December 14, 2013, 01:39 AM   #16
jimbob86

Can you operate your press as a single stage?

I'd do that until you understand the process a bit more- only one thing going on at a time ........ easier to keep track of that way.

Last edited by jimbob86; December 14, 2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:40 AM   #17
mwdsonny

I have had 2 crease on me, but I also think that I might be over crimping, its a noticeable line where the crimp stops, but its pressed in, would that make the rest of the case bulge? and ive made 2 .308 win rounds and had no issues, bullet secure, no defined hold point like on the .380 cycle fine. don't have any .45 acp bullets to try them yet. but in general is pistol harder to reload then rifle?
Old December 14, 2013, 01:43 AM   #18
mwdsonny

I have a single stage press also. I used it when I made the .308, but I have it set up with a universal depriming die. but I made .380 in it also and had the same issue with it sticking in the mag, but cycling fine in chamber. I discovered the issue in the single stage press. my progressive press just came in today, I made the first dummy rounds bout a week ago when I first got the single stage press.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:46 AM   #19
jimbob86

Straight walled pistol cases are simpler than bottleneck rifle cases when carbide sizing dies are used- no lube necessary, and trimming is not usually needed. The case mouth does need to be expanded/belled, but that is nothing compared to trimming/deburring/chamfering .....
Old December 14, 2013, 01:50 AM   #20
mwdsonny

Just like me to get the hard stuff, but screw up the simple things. but my die set flares the mouth as it drops the powder.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:50 AM   #21
Nick_C_S

Oh boy, that pic of the bullet has all kinds of bells n whistles going off in my head.

You can see how little space there is for powder.

This has all the elements of something going wrong because there is clearly so little room for error. Especially considering you're a new loader (no offense).

One of the biggest determiners of pressure is the amount of case space where the powder resides. The less room - the more pressure. I see very little room. I see lots of potential for a major pressure spike.

As a loader with almost 30 years experience, I would scrap the notion and go look for a smaller bullet. Seriously.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:51 AM   #22
Chaz88

Quote:
Were it me, I'd opt for a lighter bullet
I agree.

You said some of your loads are .019 under max length. Are those hanging up in the mag like the .001 under? If they are then you might need to take a closer look at your process while reading the setup steps in your book. If everything is set up correctly I would not expect that much variance in COAL.

Old December 14, 2013, 01:52 AM   #23
jimbob86

Quote:
I have had 2 crease on me
???

Sounds like the bullet was seated and you tried pushing it deeper?

try seating and crimping as separate operations- have the die adjusted for no crimp, and crimp with the FCD.......

...... the "remanufactured" ammo I ran through my Lee Factory crimp die had bulge at the base of the bullet like those in the picture ...... probably from the bullet not being square with the case when seated ...... bell the case mouth a bit more and place the bullet carefully to avoid this....... and the LFCD should iron that out.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:55 AM   #24
mwdsonny

Mr. Nick I respect what you are saying, and I agree, but with the reloading supply market being what it is I cant find 90-95 gr hollow points, I have a hard time finding anything (without paying for then it cost to buy new). but my lack of experience is why I came here asking for advice, and the reason I made dummy rounds in order to check clearance.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:56 AM   #25
jimbob86

Quote:
Just like me to get the hard stuff, but screw up the simple things.
Maybe, but you were smart enough to make dummy rounds to get things set up right before you loaded live rounds.

Quote:
but my die set flares the mouth as it drops the powder.
....adjust it so that it flares the case mouth more. Try that and see if you still have the problem.