The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 17, 2017, 11:42 PM   #1
Pops1085

What's the word on Remington R1's?

I have a love hate relationship with Remington it would seem. They just make guns that look right to me, but I've been burned a few times and gotten lemons from them right out of the box.

Now the R1 1911 is calling my name and I'm curious if any would recommend them or not.

I'm looking for a pretty basic, no frills 1911 that will be pretty reliable and shoot hollowpoints well. My Rock Island was super reliable with ball ammo, but HATED nearly any hollowpoint I tried to feed it.

I like that it has the short A1 trigger, a steel frame (I enjoy the extra heft when shooting), and a normal grip saftey (not a deal breaker by any means, I do enjoy 1911s with a nice beavertail) It just looks like a basic 1911 should in my opinion.
Old June 18, 2017, 07:50 AM   #2
Ibmikey

I love my R1's, have shot the beans out of the blue one until giving it to good buddy, my stainless has not had as many rounds but neither pistol has given me one lick of trouble. I have Colt's,GI Colt's, Kimber's, Auto Ordnance and a Star .45 and shoot all of them.
Old June 18, 2017, 04:38 PM   #3
DaleA

That's too bad the Rock Island didn't work out for you. Did you consider taking it to a gunsmith (a real smith, not a neighbor with a Dremel tool)?

I've had mixed results taking guns in for work. The rear sight blade on a gun with an adjustable rear sight came off and was lost...I left the gun with a smith for 6 weeks and he hadn't found time to get to it so I took it back and with some scrap metal and yes, a Dremel tool I fashioned my own rear sight blade. It is just a flat piece of metal with a couple notches in it after all.

The 1911 I almost always recommend is the Springfield Armory Range Officer. I like the target sights I think SA is a good company and the gun doesn't have 'extras' that I don't want or need. A slight problem is the price has gone up more than a little since I started recommending them. Still if you want to take a look:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...fficer-45-acp/
Old June 18, 2017, 04:52 PM   #4
Pops1085

I had thought about having a smith look at the RIA, but honestly there weren't any smiths in my area that I thought were up to the job. The few smiths in the area aren't exactly the most competent of guys. I once brought a Mosin Nagant in to one because the interrupter was out of whack and asked him if he could replace it for me and he looked at me like my head was on backwards... So, I ended up trading it off for something else, but I really do miss having a basic 1911.

I've been looking at those Range Officers lately and they do seem pretty nice. I like the solid black target sights some of them have. Not that it really matters but does SA still import their frames for their 1911's?
Old June 18, 2017, 05:37 PM   #5
Minorcan

I also was bitten by the Remington R1 Enhanced bug. I wish I had never seen that bug. The pistol jammed right out of the box. Failure rate was 25% or more. Ejector fell out on first range trip. They put an extractor for the wrong caliber in, etc. They can't repair their 1911s in house so they send them to third party gunsmith they retain. Customer Service is terrible. I won't be buying anything else from Remington. I would go with a reliable supplier with a better reputation. Springfield comes to mind.
Old June 18, 2017, 06:43 PM   #6
Armybrat

Just got this Commander last week. Very nice fit & finish, just like the 5" R1 I bought in May.
Old June 18, 2017, 09:04 PM   #7
Rockrivr1

For about the same money I'd go with the Ruger 1911 over the Remington.
Old June 19, 2017, 04:25 PM   #8
Armybrat

I haven't seen a new Ruger SR1911 for under $500. Otherwise, yes...... especially for Ruger's great customer service.

I've bought 5 Ruger revolvers and 5 semiautos over the years. All are great value guns and work fine.

Hope they come out with $100 cash rebates too.
Old June 23, 2017, 08:26 PM   #9
claydoctor

I bought the R1 when they first came out and there was only the basic model. I liked it very much and was impressed by the fit and finish. I sold it and a Taurus 1911 to fund a Les Baer.
If I were to get another (and I'm frequently tempted), it would be one of the Carry models. The MSRP on those started out around $1200 and at one point, you could get them from CDNN for less than $700.
Old June 23, 2017, 09:00 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Stay FAR away from the Remington R1s. Look at Ruger if you can't afford a Colt.
Old June 23, 2017, 09:05 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

All I can say is that a local shop has sold a bunch of R1's and reports no problems.

Jim
Old June 24, 2017, 04:45 AM   #12
Ibmikey

Augliia Blanca, Out of the thousands of trouble free rounds that have gone through my R1's am I supposed to have experienced failure? Perhaps you could expand your dislike.
Old June 24, 2017, 08:03 AM   #13
claydoctor

Agree with Ibmikey. I'd like to know on what evidence Aguila is offering his opinion .
Old June 24, 2017, 11:54 AM   #14
Nodak1858

My brother bought a R1, zero issues with many kinds of ammo. He likes it, fit and finish are good. Shoots as well as my Springfield.
Old June 24, 2017, 12:45 PM   #15
claydoctor

At last count, I have about eighteen 1911's . I also have about fifteen Ruger rifles and revolvers but to date, I have been unable to come to grips with seeing the name "Ruger" on the slide of a 1911. "Remington" seems far less objectionable .
Old June 24, 2017, 12:53 PM   #16
BigJimP

I'm not impressed by them.../ a young guy had one at my local range last week...and it had all kinds of problems ( jamming, not ejecting properly, trigger break had a lot of slack and creep ) - he claimed he had about 3,000 rds thru it trying to break it in and he keeps hoping it will get better ( but I doubt it ) and I felt bad for him.

I think its a poor choice ...especially compared to the new Colts or some of the Springfield options.
Old June 24, 2017, 02:48 PM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Lousy quality control, as evidenced by some people getting pistols that run out of the box, while others get pistols that don't run even after multiple returns to Remington's warranty shop for repair. They don't know how to machine the frame bridge and vertical impact surface. That's really hard to screw up, especially for a company that once made 1911s for the government, but they managed to muck it up.

IMHO they're like Taurus 1911s -- there are so many brands out there, in and around the same price point, with much better reputations, it just doesn't make sense (to me) to roll the dice and gamble on a Remington.
Old June 25, 2017, 12:15 PM   #18
Armybrat

If I relied on internet anecdote opinions on self defense weapons of any brand, I'd be carrying a Louisville Slugger.
Old June 25, 2017, 06:11 PM   #19
Ralph Allen

I agree. Too many know it alls with no hands on experience, just third hand critique skills. I for one, do have a R1 enhanced that has gobbled up everything that I have thrown at it, including 255 grain handloads. Extremely accurate with a very good trigger.
Ralph
Old June 25, 2017, 07:00 PM   #20
Targa

Quote:
If I relied on internet anecdote opinions on self defense weapons of any brand, I'd be carrying a Louisville Slugger.
Amen and Hallelujah!!!
Old June 25, 2017, 09:05 PM   #21
TunnelRat

I'll be the first one to tell you that you can find a negative report of literally every product out there. You can. For me when it comes to Remington though I just think there are other companies from which you can buy for not much more money and likely get a product for which the overall quality control is better.
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 26, 2017, 07:53 AM   #22
Ibmikey

My opinion of the Remington pistol is based on my personal experience and a couple of friends that shoot with me, my fifty five years of experience with the 1911 in defense of Country and LE, the other Remington pistols that I own and shoot (R 51 & RM 380) and my love for most anything marked 1911. Others base their opinions on personal bias.
Old June 26, 2017, 08:10 AM   #23
Armybrat

Remington's QC has been hit or miss for several years, as has Colt's, and more recently Ruger's (with their massive expansion). Quite a few other manufacturers too.
That doesn't mean they don't put out a good product, just that there are more lemons. Some of us are lucky enough to get the cherries.
Old June 26, 2017, 08:30 AM   #24
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
My opinion of the Remington pistol is based on my personal experience and a couple of friends that shoot with me, my fifty five years of experience with the 1911 in defense of Country and LE, the other Remington pistols that I own and shoot (R 51 & RM 380) and my love for most anything marked 1911. Others base their opinions on personal bias.

These 1911 R1s haven't been in production from Remington for long because they stopped making 1911s for some time. They're not the same as what you would have used in the service and frankly Remington isn't the same company. I think the notion that the only people saying negative things about Remington are doing so out of a personal bias is frankly disingenuous and maybe being a bit blindly loyal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 26, 2017, 03:05 PM   #25
Armybrat

My next choice would be a Springfield Armory 1911 (had a GI in stainless, but gave to my son) or a Ruger SR1911. For now, going cheap at $399 is scratching the itch.

If I had the $$$$, it would be an Ed Brown or something similar.