The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 2, 2018, 07:51 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Kel-Tec prices: Are these normal or am I right to suspect something?

I haven't really looked at Kel-Tec pistols for a while, at least not since the Dark Times around 2014 and 2015, but $150 for a P32 and $170 for a PF9 have me wondering if Kel-Tec is possibly coming out with updated pistols soon and are almost giving their pistols away to online stores.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/kel-...k-p32bblk.html

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...&utm_medium=CJ

Anyone here have any inside knowledge if Kel-Tec is coming out with successors to their current pistols or are these in fact relatively normal prices?
Old November 2, 2018, 08:05 PM   #2
R_P_K_

I think they are just struggling to keep up. There are so many affordable small pistols on the market now with much better fit and finish. They haven't evolved at all as far as their compact pistols are concerned. Not hating on them at all. I had a sub-2000 that was fantastic.
Old November 2, 2018, 10:21 PM   #3
TruthTellers

That's just the thing: I'm wondering if Kel-Tec is seeing the writing on the wall and saying "We have to update these 10 to 20 year old designs" and they're trying to dump what they have in parts inventory.

I wouldn't be surprised if come SHOT next year Kel-Tec unveils updated pistols. They've focused so much on the KSG, bullpup rifles they've not done much with their pistols to improve them and they are pistols that really need to be upgraded when 2019 is right around the corner.

Same here on the Sub 2000, wish the trigger was better tho on my Gen 1 S2K.
Old November 2, 2018, 11:15 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Why would Keltec need to "upgrade" guns that work, and that are being copied? Ruger is trying to corner the pocket pistol market by cutting prices. These Keltec designs paid for themselves a long time ago and after materials and overhead, they cost nothing to produce. I'm sure K/T is just playing the pricing game.
Old November 3, 2018, 01:24 AM   #5
kozak6

Two things. They are facing massive pressure from Ruger and Taurus. Secondly, they are old pistols, so the tooling is well amortized by now and it doesn't cost much to make them. I'm mostly with Bill on this one.
Old November 3, 2018, 07:34 AM   #6
wild cat mccane

Except the LCP cost less than a P3AT right now...

Having owned 6 LCPs and 5 P3ATs, the LCP is better. (finish, fit, feel, service, options).
Old November 3, 2018, 12:58 PM   #7
dogtown tom

I haven't transferred a KelTec .380 in two years, but literally hundreds of LCP's in the same time frame.
When Ruger dropped the wholesale cost of the LCP a few years ago it destroyed the sales of the P3at's.

CMR's & Sub2000's I see about three times a month, RDB about once a month. PMR's about six a year.

KelTec excels at creating interesting designs, but struggles to produce them.
I think they need to follow John Brownings philosophy of licensing their designs for other manufacturers to produce.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 3, 2018, 01:07 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

"Better" is a subjective term.
Ruger took the Keltec design, made it heavier, larger, and put "Ruger" on the side. They did a slicker job on the polymer frame. Marketing genius.
People equate heavier with quality.
When a gun is designed to be the lightest .380 on the market, making it heavier is not necessarily an improvement, nor is making it larger.
Regardless- the public fell for it.
Old November 3, 2018, 01:17 PM   #9
TunnelRat

"Falling for it" is also subjective in this case.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old November 3, 2018, 01:28 PM   #10
wild cat mccane

No.

The P3AT trigger is garbage next the the Gen2 LCP (not the LCP II)
Old November 3, 2018, 04:35 PM   #11
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post
I haven't transferred a KelTec .380 in two years, but literally hundreds of LCP's in the same time frame.
When Ruger dropped the wholesale cost of the LCP a few years ago it destroyed the sales of the P3at's.

CMR's & Sub2000's I see about three times a month, RDB about once a month. PMR's about six a year.
How about P-32's and PF9's?
Old November 3, 2018, 10:21 PM   #12
dogtown tom

Quote:
TruthTellers How about P-32's and PF9's?
In ten years, over 20,000 guns transferred.....ONE KelTec P-32
Probably ten PF9's but its been several years since the last one.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 3, 2018, 10:24 PM   #13
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post
I guess with the whole "Everything's bigger" slogan that the .32 caliber is viewed as nothing more than a centerfire .22 LR, isn't it?
Old November 4, 2018, 07:36 AM   #14
jonnyc

Carried the same P32 for 15+ years. Couple of early teething issues, but has been fine the past couple thousand rounds. I sell the LCPs, but I still prefer and recommend the KT. Probably sold 2 or 3 in the past year.
Old November 4, 2018, 03:49 PM   #15
Bill DeShivs

I still carry Keltec P32 Sn 107. I have for 20 years.
Also have 3 or 4 backups.
Old November 4, 2018, 04:54 PM   #16
blchandl2

I carry a P3AT when on the bike. Never needed to use it, but it has never failed during practice.
Old November 4, 2018, 05:10 PM   #17
Sevens

Quote:
I will have to guess that you are going by memory when you say that you had one P-32 and that you aren't referring to a spreadsheet that you keep which is easily searchable and can be sorted by gun manufacturer or model.

I say that because if you actually do have that and can sort by MFR or model, that database would be WILDLY interesting to me! For example, I think it would be a hoot to see how many S&W Performance Center (metal) semiautomatic pistols you've transferred.

Not that we could come to many firm conclusions... beyond what the Plano, Texas area has had a taste for, but like I said, I still find this stuff interesting.

Smith & Wesson Model 845's, PPC-9's and 952's: how many?
Old November 4, 2018, 05:29 PM   #18
TunnelRat

Aren't the pistols you just mentioned out of production?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old November 4, 2018, 05:56 PM   #19
dogtown tom

Quote:
Sevens
Quote:
Quote:
I will have to guess that you are going by memory when you say that you had one P-32 and that you aren't referring to a spreadsheet that you keep which is easily searchable and can be sorted by gun manufacturer or model.
You would be correct, it's by memory. But if it would make you happy I could pull out my bound books and have a look.

Quote:
I say that because if you actually do have that and can sort by MFR or model, that database would be WILDLY interesting to me! For example, I think it would be a hoot to see how many S&W Performance Center (metal) semiautomatic pistols you've transferred.
Heck if I (or any other dealer) would know...…..firearms are entered by manufacturer, model, serial#, caliber. A S&W Model 686 or 642 is a Model 686 or 642 regardless if it went through the Performance Center or not. That doesn't change its model name. Same with "TALO special editions".....just entered as the model name, not as TALO Wiley Clapp, etc.

Quote:
Not that we could come to many firm conclusions... beyond what the Plano, Texas area has had a taste for, but like I said, I still find this stuff interesting.
Sales of particular models vary according to customer demographics. I'm in a pretty affluent suburb of Dallas......don't transfer many Hi Points or Sccy handguns either. But I know of shops in other parts of Dallas that sell 2-3 per day.

Wanna know a good predictor of what I'll transfer next week? Just look at what Palmetto State Armory or Classic has on sale. Or what's on gun.deals

Quote:
Smith & Wesson Model 845's, PPC-9's and 952's: how many?
None in the last year that I can recall. Way more interest in Colt's. I transfer 6-8 Pythons, Boas, Anacondas, Diamondbacks every month.

Old November 4, 2018, 08:29 PM   #20
Sevens

The specific models I mentioned weren't base models -- a "non-PC version" ceases to exist.

They are extremely limited guns that aren't seen often, it's one of the reasons they have my interest. There are more than half a million Pythons.
Old November 5, 2018, 08:50 AM   #21
sarge83

I still carry my P32 with a chrome slide, have for over 15 yrs. never failed to fire. I am trying to get used to my Taurus TCP .380 but can't find a good pocket holster.
Old November 5, 2018, 01:12 PM   #22
Silverbullit

Bud's has a decent Viridian pocket holster for $6.00 shipped. Fits the TCP just fine.
Old November 5, 2018, 01:18 PM   #23
Silverbullit

I agree with those that say Kel tec is facing increased competition. My PF 9 was my favorite 5 years ago, but if I were buying today, there are more choices. Ruger EC9, SCCY (which I also own) among others. That said, I still like and carry the PF9 most of the time.
Old November 5, 2018, 01:55 PM   #24
CDW4ME

When I decided to not carry anything smaller than 9mm I took P3AT and LCP 380's to a Pawn Shop I use for FFL transfer of guns I got on Gunbroker.
I walked in with both pistols in their original box, the owner saw the boxes and said, You bringing that cheap stuff in here today. LOL
I traded both and some cash for a pistol in a decent caliber.
Old November 6, 2018, 12:00 PM   #25
dogtown tom

Quote:
CDW4ME
…. walked in with both pistols in their original box, the owner saw the boxes and said, You bringing that cheap stuff in here today. LOL
I traded both and some cash for a pistol in a decent caliber.
I would be embarrassed to tell people I sold/traded guns to a pawn shop, heck, even a regular gun dealer.

Basically you are getting 60% or less of his wholesale cost....while you could have sold them for significantly more $$$ on any gun forum.

In order of best way to get maximum value for your guns:
Online gun forum.....where you set the price
GunBroker or other auction site.....where you set the price
Consignment at gun dealer.....where you set the price
Sale to gun dealer
Trade value to gun dealer or pawnbroker......the worst of all.

Gun dealers and pawnbrokers make the most profit off of used firearms.

Not a gun show goes by where someone hasn't walked up and offers me a barely used Glock or other handgun that they paid retail at the local Academy....around $570 including sales tax. "I'll take $525 for it!" Imagine the look on his face when I tell him my dealer cost on the exact gun is less than $440 NEW! He'll go home and complain about dealers lowballing him, never understanding how business works.

Last edited by dogtown tom; November 6, 2018 at 12:07 PM.