The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 18, 2014, 11:12 AM   #1
Trum4n1208

BP Replicant .45 Colt Roundball loads

Howdy all.

Since I'm constrained by a minimum wage budget while I'm in College, I thought I'd attempt using .454 lead balls in my .45 colt cartridges as a plinking load. They're being fired out of an 1875 Remmington copy. Basically, I'm using 35 grains of Alliant Black MZ (BP is extremely tough to find in my area), a lubricated felt wad, the ball seated by a rubber mallet and then crimped. Lastly, I've put just a bit of bore butter over the balls.

From what I've read, there should be no problem doing this, despite the difference between my .452 barrel and the .454 ball (from what I've read, the soft lead ball will fire okay). That being said, this is my first attempt doing this, and as I A) dearly love my Remington and can't afford to replace it, and B) would really rather not be sent to the hospital because of some unforeseen failure in said Remington, I thought I'd run it by you folks, see if there's anything else I'm forgetting or should do. I've only made 5 rounds, was planning on seeing what you all say before I continue.

Thanks a bunch!
Old June 18, 2014, 03:03 PM   #2
noelf2

I did the same thing some years ago with .451 balls. I would say that if you can get them to chamber, you are golden. The .454 balls will probably get swaged down in the cylinder chambers anyway. IIRC, I used 35 gr real fffg and a bees wax lubed felt wad between the ball and powder. Was dead on accurate, to my surprise.
Old June 18, 2014, 09:04 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

If they are well crimped, you should have no problems. But a round ball has no crimping groove so you have to crimp a bit above the "equator".

Jim
Old June 18, 2014, 09:09 PM   #4
B.L.E.

The Ruger Old Army actually has a .452 barrel and it shoots .457 roundballs. You're not going to blow up that Remington with black powder and .454 roundballs.

By the way, not having a cartridge .45, I have used .433 roundballs in .44 magnum cases and .360 roundballs in .357 magnum cases. Not wanting to clean black powder fouling out of a Smith and Wesson model 29, I loaded the .44 magnum roundball loads with Blackhorn 209, no wads or lube. They shot really well.
Old June 19, 2014, 08:51 PM   #5
Trum4n1208

Gentlemen,

With your assurances, I went ahead and made up about 30 rounds and fired them off today. Worked like a charm . Accuracy was good, had nice clouds of smoke, and a great day shooting with an old high school buddy of mine. I will be making plenty more of these loads.

Thanks all!
Old June 20, 2014, 07:51 AM   #6
noelf2

Quote:
If they are well crimped, you should have no problems. But a round ball has no crimping groove so you have to crimp a bit above the "equator".
Actually the first ones I made with .451 ball I didn't crimp at all (didn't have any dies back then). A bit of lead was actually shaved off the ball just as if it was pressed into a cylinder chamber. I checked for bullet jump/creep after each shot, and there was none. I made up a bunch more a year or so later when I had dies for .45 colt. I only used a moderate crimp setting, and didn't have any issues. Those actually had better accuracy in my converted 1858 Remmy than the loads I make now with 250gr lead RNFP bullets. My gun just likes round ball, but the RNFPs aren't slacking too much either.

Quote:
With your assurances, I went ahead and made up about 30 rounds and fired them off today. Worked like a charm .
Glad it worked out good for you!
Old June 20, 2014, 06:01 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

Interesting thread and I'm glad they worked for you!

I just picked up a .360 RB mold to use for making some round ball loads to play with out of my New Vaquero.

B.L.E. - not trying to "hi jack" the thread but I have a question on your .360 RB loads that you loaded in 357 casings. I'm looking at doing the same thing but load them in 38 sp. casings with a moderate crimp just above the equator. What size did your balls drop at - were they .360? If so, did you have any trouble chambering the rounds or did they slide in O.K. Do you know how fast you were pushing them - get any leading?

I'm looking at using smokeless - I thought I would try some out of my .360 mold (I haven't cast any yet so don't know what they'll drop at). I'm not going to push them hard but thought I might tumble lube them in a-lox prior to loading? Did you lube your's or use a lubed wad behind them? I figured I could get by with just seating the ball with nothing behind it. If they drop too big, I can push them through a .358 sizer but I'd like to keep 'em round.

Trum4n1208 - I hope you'll keep us updated on your RB cartridge loads and how they are working - different things you try, etc. I think it be a lot of fun and some pretty cheap shooting!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 20, 2014, 08:40 PM   #8
B.L.E.

I don't really remember the exact load, I think I was playing around with TrailBoss loads with the .360 roundballs, no lube. I just crimped on the ogive. They easily chambered in my .357 Vaquero. The biggest issue is that my Vaquero has non adjustable sights regulated for the barrel jump of 158 grain bullets. With those 70 grain .360 roundballs, there is much less barrel jump during the barrel time and the gun shot noticeably low. Decent groups but below the bullseye.

The .44 magnum shooting .433 roundballs also shot noticeably low but that pistol has adjustable sights. Very remarkable velocity consistency with Blackhorn 209. Around 1100 fps with velocities being within 10-15 fps of each other.
The TB loads in .357 cases using .360 RB loads were not so consistent. I didn't experiment with Blackhorn 209 in that gun since I would still have the problem with the sights not regulated for 70 grain roundballs and the gun shooting low.
No real barrel leading problems in either gun, even with no lube.
Old June 21, 2014, 07:54 AM   #9
bedbugbilly

B.L.E. - thank you for the information - greatly appreciated!

I figured that with the 70 gr. RB it would probably hit low. Time for using a little "Kentucky windage" and figuring the sight picture out but it should be fun. I have Bullseye and Unique but I'd like to try some Red Dot and Trail Boss. Evertime I try to find the Trail Boss - the shelf is empty. Where I get my powder, they sometimes get it in and when they do, it goes quickly.

I have a 1872 Ubeerti Colt open top in 38 on my "to buy" list and I want to play with some 38 Colt Short & Long in that when I get it. I have some short and long brass so it may be fun to load up some BP rounds in the Long and see how they work.

Thanks again for the information. Anyone else out there playing around with RB cartridges? The OP started a good thread and it would be nice to hear the experiences of others who have dabbled in it.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 21, 2014, 10:56 AM   #10
Trum4n1208

Absolutely, I'll start messing around with them soon, right now I'm trying to finish off my 250g RNFP supply. But once I start messing with them, I'll post any experiments.

By the way bedbugbilly, if you're looking at the '72 Open Top in .38, you'll love it. I had one a while back, and it was a sweet shooter. Eventually I had to sell it when funds were tight, but I'm just dying to get one .45 or maybe .44 Special.
Old June 21, 2014, 05:22 PM   #11
B.L.E.

Speer used to publish a roundball load for the .45 Colt, using Hercules Bullseye powder and a .454 round ball. Unfortunately, I don't remember the amount and can't find it online.
Old June 23, 2014, 09:02 AM   #12
bedbugbilly

In my searches for RB cartridge loads, I ran across this . . . .

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Rou...ll%20Loads.pdf

I know these are in "smokeless" but some good information and ideas. BP loadings could easily be done but I w ould imagine you'd want to use a "under ball wad" and a compressed load.