The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 1, 2012, 06:45 PM   #1
whippoorwill

Remington 1911 R1 - Mini Range Report

About ten days ago, on a whim, I traded my Kahr CM9 and some cash for a new Remington 1911 R1. The Kahr was a fine little pistol, but I wanted something else. It made sense at the time. Many of you know what I mean. When I took it home, I cleaned and lubricated it. Everything checked out. The only flaw I found, and I just about always find a flaw (unfortunately), was that the bluing on the underside of the frame had a slightly mottled appearance, kind of blue mixed with a copper or brownish color. Barely noticeable, but definitely there. It almost reminded me of case-hardening.

In any case, I took it out on Saturday to introduce it to my "range" at the hunting cabin. All I brought to fire through it was some inexpensive bulk ammo (Federal) from Walmart. My mini range report is that I fired approximately 60 rounds through it (IIRC), with one failure to feed early on. My best 5-shot group, center to center, measured 7/8". Now, that was at 7 yards mind you (no bench), but still I was very pleased. It really ran like a champ, and the accuracy was better than I expected.

Perhaps that's the key... lower my expectations! Seriously, based on my limited experience, if anyone is considering one of these, I'd encourage you to go for it. I think you'll be pleased, especially at the price.
Old October 2, 2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Madcap_Magician

Sounds like you got a good deal. I hear good things about the new Remington 1911s.

Can't wait for the carry model. Not that I'll be able to buy it.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:33 PM   #3
KyJim

Whippoorwill --

Is this one of the R1s with the duckbill grip safety and longer trigger or does it have the upswept, beavertail grip safety with round trigger? I'm just curious if someone with "limited experience" with 1911s likes the duckbill and if you experienced any hammer bite.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:51 PM   #4
TennJed

I have been very pleased with mine. I have had a stainless for a few months and it runs like a champ
Old October 3, 2012, 03:19 PM   #5
PetahW

FWIW, I've put about 2K rounds of hardball through my 1911R1 standard since I bought it new this past Spring.

I like mine, too, except for the issue long spur Gov't Model hammer, which I've switched out for the old-style rowel-type Commander hammer (a Caspian Arms) that I prefer.

I've never needed a beavertail grip safety on any of the odd-dozen 1911's I've had previously (over the last 40 years), and certainly feel no need for one now - although YMMV, of course.