The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 17, 2011, 11:21 AM   #1
colburn

winchester 94 wont feed

I have a win 94 30-30. It was cheep and it cycles cheeply, but it is accurate (for a brush gun), clean bore, and the finish is 90%. When i try to feed rounds in the first usually goes in ok but every one after that is a struggle. the spring gate swings and stops on the round already in the magazine. I cant get more than 3 bullets in the gun, and one time a bullet sprung back while the lever was on its way shut and somehow it got jammedback under the bolt. Now to use it safely i single load strait into the chamber. its reminding me of my ithica 37 when it used to dump shells. i replaced and tuned a piece that held the rounds back while not cycling, now its my favorite shotgun. What parts can i replace and refit to get good function out of this rifle?
Old November 17, 2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

Been around Winchester thutty-thutty's all my life. We load by pushing first round into the mag all but the rim, then push it the rest of the way with the next cartridge, and so forth till full. No problem with the cartridge sliding back behind the gate until the last one is pushed thru the gate with finger. Here endeth the lesson. Goatwhiskers the Elder
Old November 18, 2011, 10:44 AM   #3
dahermit

Quote:
i replaced and tuned a piece that held the rounds back while not cycling,
Check that part on your '94 also. It could be worn if not operator error as suggested.
Old November 18, 2011, 10:59 AM   #4
drail

I have to agree with Goat on this one. I have several Win 94s and they all need to be loaded as he described. Once the loading gate has closed behind a round the next round will not be able to push the gate open. It is possible rework the loading gate but I always just insert a round almost all the way and then push it in with the next round. Try it. There could also be a problem with the cartridge stop not retaining rounds in the magazine.
Old November 18, 2011, 12:30 PM   #5
colburn

drail, not that theres anything untrue in the other posts on this topic,i think your right on in your assesment. I had intended to buy a replacement pin and screw set for the entire receiver. I was postponing that parts order until i got some feedback on the problem and some possible solutions. I have tried the trick with the loading gate with some success in the past. After a few more tries i was able to replicate my malfunction in which the round got caught under the bolt body. If i use the last round fed to hold the gate open,and the gate happens to slip past the edge of the casing, it isnt caught by the mechanism that holds the rounds back and also holds the gate shut. With the first cycling of the lever the bullet slips into the opening that is created and jams. That must be why the gun seems barely used and was so cheep. Same way i got my new in box ithica 37.
After the rounds were cleared i examined the mechanism that hold the shells back. I was expecting to see a beveled surface leading to a vertical surface parallel to the bottom of the casing. What i saw was a very crude version of that. the ramped surface was rough, almost notched. It had brass shavings on it. It appears to be snagging the extractor edge of the casing. I will order a replacement part for this, i think if i tune it and the loading gate i can get the two parts to work in relation to each other so i dont need to use tricks to perform what should be a simple task.