The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 14, 2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Norrick

average labor costs for cutting barrel

I've got a 22 inch stainless bull barrel on a 22lr rifle that I'd like to cut down to 16inches and have fluted.

Can anyone give me any idea as to how much this might cost? Or at least how much work is involved?

The barrel is from the factory so it doesn't need to be chambered or anything.

Do gunsmiths charge more when work on a lathe/mill is required? Do they leave the receiver attached to the barrel for something like this (assuming it isn't simply pinned in)?
Old May 14, 2010, 08:05 PM   #2
kraigwy

Wacking off and re-crowning a barrel wont take that long, shouldnt cost too much. Probabley less then 30 mins.

Fluting is a differant matter. Fluting is an IFFY matter, you disturb the harmonics which may or may not screw with the accuracy. When I was in the business, I told customers it was a 50/50 shot whether it would shoot or not, and I had them sign a waiver. I'd guarentee the flutes but not the accuracy.

I tried to discourage people from fluting barrels, I've done a few and they turned out, KNOCK ON WOOD, one that scared me the most was a biathalon rifle belonging to the first runner up to the Olympic team. The fluting didnt hurt it a bit, but it gave me ulsers. Still I jacked up my prices for fluting trying to get them to forget it or go else where.

I didnt make any money on fluting barrels, I would use an old take off barrel, turn it to match the rifle I'm going to work on, and practice with it, making sure I got my "set up" just right.

Other people who know what they are doing (I didn"t) may be differant.

Its pricy, time consuming. You would be better off in my opinion, buying a new - pre-fluted barrel. There are some good barrel makers out there that sell some pretty dern fluted barrels.

And yes people charge a bit more for machine work.

I wont venture to say what it would cost, I now know the shop rates in your area and I've been out of the game for a while.

OH, I forgot, I did the fluting on a milling machine, I never had to take the barrel out of the action. Regarding cutting down the barrel, I'd use a 4 jaw chuch to hold the action, a cut off tool to cut the barrel and then crown it. Normaly it isnt necessary to take the barrel out of the action.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 14, 2010, 11:55 PM   #3
Norrick

yeah I want the shortened barrel to make it more handy and the flutes partially for weight and partially for a custom look.

I'd be willing to take the chance on the flutes honestly. The biggest fun in owning a rifle to me is customization.

One more thing, 16 inches is the minimum legal length, so do you think I should make it say, 16.5 so that I have a little bit of wiggle room in case later down the line I want to re-crown the barrel?
Old May 15, 2010, 07:53 AM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Cut and recrown $35.00 to $50.00 , Fluting $150.00 to $200.00 and a total waste of time and money ! You might shed a half pound but I doubt it !