The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 2, 2010, 04:49 PM   #1
tahitian.tedgrace

How good are Ghost rings?

I am new to the shotgun world! So Here is my question remember I am New..What exactly is the benefit of ghost ring sights over the bead sight on the shot gun if any.
Old March 2, 2010, 05:03 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For stationary targets they add a bit of accuracy. Turkey hunters love them as they are trying for a head shot. Basically they hoping to fill the ring with the head.

BTW, The ghost ring nomenclature is shotgun specific... If you are familiar with rifles, just think in terms of "peep sight" same basic concept.
Brent
Old March 2, 2010, 05:08 PM   #3
mete

For defense shotguns when using slugs or buckshot they are excellent ! Fast and accurate ! They are excellent for rifles for hunting too, accurate enough to put them in 1" groups !. I prefer a 1/8" square front post and a 3/16" hole in the ghost ring rear.The concept is that the eye automatically centers the ring to the eye so you only deal with the post.The ring then must be mounted close to the eye.
Old March 2, 2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Lee Lapin

Cooper said, The ghost-ring is that form of aperture sight which features a small diameter ring with a large diameter aperture. A ghost-ring is not an "open sight." It is called ghostly because when it is used properly it fades out and the eye is left free to focus upon the front sight alone. This is both faster and more precise than any form of open sight, including the express sight usually featured on heavy doubles, though speed differential is very slight. -- http://molonlabe.net/Commentaries/jeff14_1.html

The first "ghost ring" I ever encountered was in the late 1970s. It was the rear sight with a large aperture that was issued along with a set of GI night sights for the M16. The front sight had a tritium vial installed in it, and the large aperture on the rear sight made it reasonably easy to put sights on any target you could see even in low light. Of course, it wasn't intended as a ghost ring, but that's how it worked- and for me, it worked very well.

And they work well for me on shotguns, too. I like 'em. Some people don't, but then some people would complain about getting hung with a new rope, too .

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 2, 2010, 07:06 PM   #5
oneounceload

For shooting a shotgun like a rifle, they can help over a front site alone. For wing shooting or clays, they are a hindrance and result in misses.
Old March 2, 2010, 09:50 PM   #6
jmortimer

I like a ghost ring sight on most any gun. On a shotgun it is very useful.
Old March 2, 2010, 11:11 PM   #7
tahitian.tedgrace

Ghost Rings

Thanks for all the information. I now feel that I understand what a ghost ring sight is. Thanks to all of you. Ted
Old March 3, 2010, 11:24 AM   #8
Tenshi

I have ghost ring sights on my Mossberg and love them...
A shotgun with a bead sight is more dependent on shotgun fit to get proper accuracy. A shotgun with ghost ring sights is shot like a rifle. They're MUCH better for shooting slugs and buckshot at longer distances.
About the only disadvantage I've found to the ghost ring sights is that it raises your face on the comb so you don't have the same cheek weld as you generally would on a shotgun, but you get used to it after shooting it a bit and eventually get accustomed to the new position.
Old March 3, 2010, 12:38 PM   #9
zippy13

Quote:
Tahitian wrote…
About the only disadvantage I've found to the ghost ring sights is that it raises your face on the comb so you don't have the same cheek weld as you generally would on a shotgun, but you get used to it after shooting it a bit and eventually get accustomed to the new position.
In a perfect world, changes in sight height would be accompanied by changes in stock fit. Having to raise your face to use a higher sight is a good way to get it smacked. It takes just a few smacks in the cheek before you sub-conscious objects and starts thinking about introducing you to the flinch.
Old March 3, 2010, 03:57 PM   #10
Tenshi

Quote:
In a perfect world, changes in sight height would be accompanied by changes in stock fit. Having to raise your face to use a higher sight is a good way to get it smacked. It takes just a few smacks in the cheek before you sub-conscious objects and starts thinking about introducing you to the flinch.
have never ever had it even come close to smacking me in the cheek....
Old March 6, 2010, 10:53 PM   #11
spotter123654

sweet
Old March 7, 2010, 12:49 AM   #12
SiNNiK

Quote:
I am new to the shotgun world! So Here is my question remember I am New..What exactly is the benefit of ghost ring sights over the bead sight on the shot gun if any.
While GRS may allow you to aim more accurately than a bead sight, I prefer rifle sights on mine simply because they allow me to aim without obstructing my field of vision.
Old March 7, 2010, 01:42 PM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry, SiNNik, GRS obscures less. The aperture is so close to the eye one looks through it. That's why most military rifles made since WWII, except the AK, have peep sights.

Most folks find aperture sights like the GRS and peep (a GRS is a peep sight with a LARGE aperture) faster AND more accurate than open sights and more accurate than beads.

The first GRS I ran across was when I was a teen. Pop's hunting club had a couple guys using old Remington Model 8 autos. They had peeps with the aperture disc removed. This swapped a little accuracy for lots of speed.

Slug guns, muzzle loaders and rifles here are so equipped......