The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 28, 2009, 12:18 PM   #1
mp25ds4

First carry concealed gun

Hey everyone I recently got my carry conclead license and I wanted some input on what gun you think would be best for self defense for no more than 550$

heres what I was looking at
fnp .45
s&w 686
taurus mod.66
springfield xd .45

open to any suggestions
thanks
Old March 28, 2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Buzzcook

Which one do you like to shoot the most?
Which one fits your hand best?

From my perspective the S&W 686 is the best choice, but I'm not you.
All your choices seem to be on the large side for concealment.
Old March 28, 2009, 01:20 PM   #3
orchidhunter

mp25ds4, Glad to see you have some revolvers on your list. The S&W 642 is one of there Airweight models, and the best CCW on the market today. The S&W 686 is very heavy, even the short barrel one. Forget the Taurus. orchidhunter
Old March 28, 2009, 01:35 PM   #4
guntotin_fool

you have two great carry guns, the XD and the FNP, both have holsters available, and both are very robust and functional guns.

Context is everything. Where do you live, what are the "odds" you are going to need something? While some may scoff at this, it has great bearing in my mind on what to carry. If you live in a rural area where shooting a stray critter is not unheard off, I would suggest the 686, which while not a lightweight, is not a total beast to carry either, a few million cops carried them for decades without any issues. If you manage a KFC in DT detroit or a stop and rob in Atlanta, i would say carry both the XD and the FNP. ( only slightly kidding)

First thing to do is get a good belt, made for carrying a gun from, A very good one is either the double thick (two layer) belts from LL bean, and Cabela's, which is available for under 40 bucks. IF you do not have a good belt, the holsters do not ride like they are designed to, and you end up with a less than satisfactory result. I tried for a few years to get by with just a good work belt, but they would just break down shortly, and the gun and holster would start to sag and wobble.

Start with one good OWB leather holster. I like the askins styles, like this. Fairly high riding, it hides very easily under a camp shirt or un tucked Polo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg nightoptics_2044_242500404.jpeg (35.4 KB, 60 views)
Old March 28, 2009, 01:37 PM   #5
ar15chase

Maybe you should go to the range and see if they have any of them you can rent. That way you can get a feel for several guns, and pick the one you like most.
Old March 28, 2009, 01:48 PM   #6
cguedr

It looks like you're interested in larger calibers, so I'm not sure how beneficial this may be. I had a semi-compact Baby Eagle that I sold in order to get a compact Baby Eagle to make carrying easier. While I think that I'll be able to easily carry it in colder months when I have a few layers of clothes, I don't think it'll be so easy to conceal during the summer (I live in Louisiana and only wear a t-shirt and shorts during the summer). I recently bought a Ruger LCP so that I KNOW I'll be able carry regardless of what I'm wearing. And while I don't think a .380 is ideal to carry, for me, its better than nothing. Just something to think about.
By the way, I don't have my CCW yet, I take the class in a week, but with the availability of handguns being what they are right now, I decided to get them early before I put myself in a bind later.
Old March 28, 2009, 01:57 PM   #7
Jimbo-Indy

I second the idea of a good, heavy belt designed for carrying a gun. First you have to decide on which gun to carry. Try as many as you can. I have found that some guns that I thought I wanted just didn't feel right and/or the controls didn't work easily with my hand/finger size. The first thing is to find what is comfortable for you to shoot.
while the new design guns like the Springfield and FN are all the rage, try some of the old standards too. I would suggest at least trying out a 1911 style, a High Power and a CZ75 or clone. These styles tend to be thinner and more rounded which makes them more comfortable to carry for some people. You can often find these used but in excellent condition, in your price range.
Last, find a good holster or two. I would recommend you have at least a IWB tuckable and a OWB, both from a reputable maker. Many think they are saving $ with a generic nylon holster until they try a good leather one.
this is from a guy who carries an all steel High Power everyday, in an office. A proper fitting holster and heavy belt make weight of the gun vanish.
Galco, DeSantis, Bianchi, Don Hume and others make good products at reasonable prices. For IWB, I also like Raven Concealment, Blade-Tech and Cross-Breed for starters. UBG Holsters make some nice leather and excellent gun belts at very reasonable price.
Old March 28, 2009, 03:52 PM   #8
Keltyke

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.

You also need a GOOD holster/belt combination. Personally, I DO NOT like the generic, "Fits A, B, C, and sometimes Y guns" type of holster. I prefer a fitted leather or Kydex type. The one I use most is a Desantis beltslide. My belt is an Uncle Mike's "Instructor's" belt, and it holds my 25 oz. carry piece and holster comfortably and securely.

Happy carrying!
Old March 28, 2009, 04:13 PM   #9
#18indycolts

XD
Old March 28, 2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Re4mer

I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a .45 but if this is a carry gun you might want to consider a smaller caliber because you can usually get them with a smaller sub-compact frame which is easier to conceal and more comfortable to carry.
Old March 28, 2009, 04:36 PM   #11
Alleykat

Per Re4mer, I carried a G30 for several years, before I wised up and "moved up" to a G26. Still have the G30. Would prefer the G30 to anything the OP listed. Would prefer the G26 to anything else, or I'd be carrying something else.
Old March 28, 2009, 06:40 PM   #12
oldandslow

mp, 3/29/09

You have some nice guns on your list but most may be a bit on the large size for carrying. The above posters have some good suggestions and here are mine on a concealed carry pistol.

For me the ease of carrying a pistol depends on the following factors, listed in order of importance.

1. Grip height- I like a pistol grip height of about five inches. The more one gets over that the easier it is to print (show your pistol butt through your shirt). Anything less than 4.5 inches and my pinky finger falls off the grip.

2. pistol weight- the lighter the better in most circumstances for a carry gun, although realizing there will be more recoil in a lighter gun. I have the SW 686 and it is a big, heavy gun. I initially had thoughts of adding it to my carry rotation but it is too heavy. In order of increasing weight are the polymer framed pistols, then aluminum framed and lastly all steel frames (like the 686).

3. grip width- since I carry IWB (inside the waistband) a grip width is important. If the grip is too fat it feels more awkward to carry.

As others have mentioned one needs to have a good holster and belt which can make all the difference in how comfortable one carries a given pistol. Good luck in your search.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old March 29, 2009, 09:36 AM   #13
Elvishead

More info please
Old March 29, 2009, 09:49 AM   #14
Chesster

Your results may differ, but for me, I have found that for pocket carry-Smith 37/38/642 and the Colt Agent (38s) with short grips are good choices. Pocket holster can be found for around $12-$100

For IWB- I like Glock 19 second generation. Holster can be found from $30(Don Hume)-$100
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 29, 2009, 12:15 PM   #15
security1

instead of going with the K frame 686, you could also look at the smaller J frame. You can still the those in .357 or the smaller .38 both would be nice ccw weapons. Small enough to hide, but still have the stopping power..
Old March 29, 2009, 12:47 PM   #16
Ichiro

Hard to beat a high-cap 45. Big gun, though.
Old March 29, 2009, 03:05 PM   #17
Keltyke

Quote:
instead of going with the K frame 686,
The 686 is an "L" frame S & W. As for a snubbie .357, many people have recoil management and follow up shot problems with it. The flash and boom can be excessive and the recoil can be savage - Sometimes to the point it's not worth the extra .375 power.
Old March 29, 2009, 04:25 PM   #18
security1

you are correct, I stand corrected. The 686 is in fact a L frame. Which would be even bigger to try to carry as a ccw. Unless you got the 2 1/2 barrel. Then I wouldn't get the .357 unless you use .38's in it, but then you may lose some accuracy too.
Old March 29, 2009, 07:36 PM   #19
Hirlau

XD-45
Old March 29, 2009, 07:46 PM   #20
Lost Sheep

Organize your decision process

Take things in order. I got this advice years ago (and embellished it a bit, as it started out with only A and B and was focused on rifles)

A) Pick a cartridge/load first.

B) Pick an action type

C) Figure the size range of the gun you can accomodate/tolerate

D) Find guns that meet those criteria

E) Select down to the ones you can hit with

It looks like you have done (A) and narrowed the choices down to 38/357 and .45ACP, but don't leave out the .45 GAP (same bullet, shorter than the 45 ACP, chamber in Glock pistols only) and .41 mag, 44 Special or Magnum, .40 Smith & Wesson, 10 mm and 45 Colt. Some give credibility to the .327 Magnum. 10mm and the 41 magnum might be eliminated for overpenetration.

You have already decided that (B) -action type- will not limit your selection.

(C) May have already eliminated the .41 and 44 magnums, and possibly the 45 Colt as well, but the 44 Special is a very good choice.

(D) Make your list and eliminate ones you absolutely cannot afford (even used) and are otherwise non-starters.

By the time you get to (E), your list should be down to a manageable size. If not do some ranking, but eliminate only for real cause.

Ranking can be done on characteristics like
firepower (number of rounds per reload)
Reliability/durability/serviceability
cost of ammunition (important for the great deal of practice you should afford yourself)
stopping power (start research with a web search on the phrase "stopping power")
Concealability/Convenience
Safety
Legal defensibility
any other factor you feel is appropriate (for example, the availability of a "twin" gun in .22 rimfire for practice is a plus, or if you social circle is full of revolver fanatics, you may go that way because you will get more technical support when questions come up)

I did notice the absence of any Rugers from your lineup, the SP101 in .327 Mag (6 shot) or 357 mag (5 shot). The last time I checked, the Ruger P90 could use standard Colt 1911 .45 ACP magazines. Also, consider the Charter Arms Bulldog in .357 or 44 special.

Don't limit yourself.

Good luck, good shopping and good shooting

Lost Sheep
Old March 30, 2009, 07:04 AM   #21
Kreyzhorse

All of your choices are fine, but as mentioned, all of them are a bit big for CCW. Not saying that you can't conceal them, I carry a full sized 1911 in the winter, but I am saying that come summer, you might find yourself leaving your CCW at home because it doesn't conceal well with summer clothing.

If I were you, I'd look at a smaller piece for CCW. Once you have a primary piece, you can add a larger piece at a later date.

Personally, I'd suggest a snub nose S&W revolver as a good place to start.
Old March 31, 2009, 02:44 AM   #22
guntotin_fool

RE too big to carry. BS..

with a proper holster you can carry darn near anything in comfort.

My shooting partner carrys a N frame 25-5 S&W, in .45 colt, he is not a big man but not tiny either, and he carries EDC a 4 inch N frame. And has for the last 12 or so years I have known him.

I carry a .45 ACP Colt's Combat Commander. anything less just feels under gunned. my wife carries a LTWT Commander in ,45 ACP as well
My every day apparel is based on business casual, I wear a tucked polo with a business style sweater or pull over most of the winter, in summer, a Ltwt camp shirt or vest is worn as well. When I chose to let people know that I carry, most are shocked at the fact that for the past 26 years I have carried and they perhaps have been around me a hundred times or more and never caught on.
Old March 31, 2009, 06:57 AM   #23
Keltyke

Quote:
+1 on that. I carry a 25 oz., 3.5" barrel, 10 round double-stack mag .40 S&W semi OWB and except for a little weight on my strong side, most times I don't even feel it on me. There's barely a bulge under an untucked sport/golf/polo shirt.

The belt/holster combo is EVERYTHING in "shallow" concealed carry.
Old March 31, 2009, 09:34 AM   #24
whiplash

Quote:
exactly! All I had to do was get a few shirts one size bigger (which some have to do anyway). But dont let anyone tell you the XD45 4in is to big to carry. Ive been doing it for years. I really like the XD. The big seller for me was that it fit MY hand perfect. It fit my budget ($520), high cap 13+1, .45acp, and its reliable. Cant ask for much more than that...
Old April 2, 2009, 10:45 PM   #25
tju1973

My first was my XD45, then I actually rotated with a Taurus PT25, Jennings P22, and a Raven MP25 (with work, they concealed better)-- I then went with a Bersa T380....

Now I carry again my XD45 in colder weather, and a Taurus P111 Millennium in warmer weather...

FInd what fits yu and what you like!