The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 3, 2009, 10:23 PM   #1
jesus5150

Fat Guy Carry

First off, i Apologize if this is in the wrong place or if it has already been covered, (I Checked but didn't come up with anything, but i'm not familiar to the site yet so i may have overlooked it)

Anyway, I'm 6'1 and 261 lbs. I'm mostly muscle but i have the infamous "muffin top" which makes it difficult for me to carry on my waist. I've also heard rumors about SOB carry being dangerous. So the only thing i can come up with is a shoulder holster. Please let me know about any other options i may have. I live in Washington State so if it get's seen i'm not in a ton of trouble but my father always told me that if they know you have it, you need to rethink your carry style.

I'm carrying a Heckler & Koch USP .40 in an Uncle Mikes clip style holster (with a spare mag pouch on top)
Old January 3, 2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Don P

I'm 6' 290. I carry a 1911 at 3:30 in a outside the waist holster. Comfy to carry. All you need is a loose fiting shirt. Shoulder holster is nice but what do you do on a warm day? Just my opinion
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 3, 2009, 10:43 PM   #3
ElectricHellfire

I'm 6 foot and ..... well lets just say Im up there. I dont have any problems carrying OWB at all. I make my own leather holsters so I make em to fit ME. It can be done so keep trying. I used to carry IWB and that did cause me great discomfort.
Old January 3, 2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Bulldozer

6'2" and 255 pounds with a size 40 waist. Loose shirts one sizre too large, untucked with a tank style undershirt tucked in pants makes even a 357 mag revolver or a Commander disappear.
Old January 3, 2009, 10:45 PM   #5
jesus5150

hmm, It always seems to stick out... I'm trying to avoid looking like a Homie thug by wearing normal fitting clothes. (Not that i'm accusing you of looking like a gangster, i just can't seem to pull off the big shirt look.) I'll try it again when i get home, maybe i'm wearing it too far back. (I can always tell because i'll covertly put it on in the bedroom and walk out nonchalauntly and my girlfriend will notice and giggle... that's when i know i have failed lol)

Last edited by jesus5150; January 3, 2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old January 3, 2009, 10:49 PM   #6
ElectricHellfire

LOL Most people are not smart enough to know what to look for. I think you are worrying needlessly. I used to do the same thing. After I carried for a while I didnt care anymore. YES, you print more through the shirt. So do people know what you have? NO. They are clueless. It could be a cell phone PDA ect. My usual "uniform" is jeans and a Tshirt.
Old January 3, 2009, 10:57 PM   #7
jesus5150

Ok, well i appreciate the responses. But what about the rumors of SOB carry being dangerous? I'd like to hear some opinions on that as well.
Old January 3, 2009, 11:09 PM   #8
troy_mclure

theres a recent sob bashing thread if you look for it.

ive carried sob since 03, had lots of motorcycle wrecks, fell down some stairs, etc...

ive had no injuries from sob.

its very comfortable, and probably one of the easiest places to conceal a gun.

i do have a separate holster for my truck tho.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 3, 2009, 11:29 PM   #9
stoutreader

Hi, I am 5"11 and just south of 300 and carry a full sized auto, usually a 1911 or Sig 228. I find that an untucked button down shirt as a cover garment helps with the image issue. A blazer if the occasion calls for it is even better. I wear mine in a IWB holster about 4 o'clock. It is extremely rare I print. I would think SOB carry is still going to require a cover garment.
Old January 3, 2009, 11:34 PM   #10
troy_mclure

ive got a bladetech UCH and i provides a slot to tuck your shirt in if you want. its only 1" so its not hard to get the gun.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 3, 2009, 11:37 PM   #11
Keltyke

6'2" and 285. I carry a Steyr S40 (3.5", 10+1, .40 S&W semi) in a Desantis OWB beltslide at 8 or 9 o'clock (I'm a lefty). Weights about 30 oz. loaded. Heavy 1.5" workman's belt from Tractor Supply. Very comfortable and easy to get to. I carry either straight or standard forward cant, depending. Untucked sport or golf/polo shirt covers it nicely.

Last edited by Keltyke; January 3, 2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old January 3, 2009, 11:45 PM   #12
Buzzard

I am 6' 2" and am 400+...I carry a P11 in my front pocket.
Old January 3, 2009, 11:52 PM   #13
fbrown333@suddenlink

sob

I have a couple of bad discs in L2 & L3, My doctor says not to carry SOB if I want to keep walking. He states that if I were to fall on my weapon that it could cause peralisis in the spinal area. He suggested a Serpa holster OWB. I bought one and found it quite comfortable. I carry at 3:30 strong side and am impressed with the holster. I have even forgotten that I had it on and for the record I carry a 1911 officers model .45. just my opinion but I have done the shoulder holster, IWB, OWB, and man bag (fanny pack). all have their place but I prefer OWB strong side in the 3:30 position. I try to carry in one way that way I don't have to think where the hell did I put it this time
Old January 3, 2009, 11:53 PM   #14
jesus5150

Man, Pocket carry just seems dangerous to me.
Old January 4, 2009, 12:00 AM   #15
Swampghost

I'm 6'2" and 180-190. An extra bump on me sticks out like a sore thumb, no way am I getting by with a full sized anything. Plus I live in Flori-duh and we don't wear a lot of clothes down here. Mostly shorts and T-shirts. CW's are usually carried in some sort of bag.
Old January 4, 2009, 12:17 AM   #16
redlevel42

J-frame in right front pocket in an old Bianchi thumb break belt holster. That old holster is thinner and lighter than any of the "pocket holsters" I have seen. Law here in GA requires a holster. I happened to be on the North side of Atlanta a couple of months ago with only a four inch .45 Mountain Gun. I had to go in a convenience store, so I stuck my .45 N-frame in a front pocket of my khakis. I wouldn't want to carry it like that all day, though.

I am 5' 11" and 325. I wear semi baggy docker type khakis probably 350 days a year.
Old January 4, 2009, 01:09 PM   #17
NRAhab

I'm a wee little man

However, if there's one thing I've learned about concealed carry, it's that holster selection is incredibly important. The Uncle Mike's nylon holsters are notoriously bulky and difficult to conceal in any circumstances. I would strongly encourage you to shop around for a concealment holster that has a bit slimmer of a profile, such as one of the fitted holsters from Galco or another manufacturer.
Old January 4, 2009, 02:11 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

FAT GUY CARRY???
I would rather tote a cop...
Oh I shoulda read the post me thinks...
Don't have a clue on ya'll fat guys... I am 5'8" and just now up to 162... been 145 for the last 25 years or so...

Brent
Old January 4, 2009, 02:12 PM   #19
natjohnb

This is me: North of 6' and north of 300lbs.

In my right front pocket is a J-frame 642 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster (completely covers the trigger guard). That was more than a year ago, now I carry a Glock 26 in a Nemesis pocket holster.

To the OP, Pocket carry is perfectly safe if you use a decent pocket holster that covers the entire trigger guard.
Old January 4, 2009, 03:40 PM   #20
Dwight55

5150, . . . several years ago, I witnessed a young fellow who probably was a bit bigger than you are, . . . he spent probably 2 full minutes trying to extract his S&W stainless from an Uncle Mike's holster.

The enclosed picture is the result of that incident. I designed a holster that is primarily designed for folks who have a larger girth, . . . whose body shape can interfere with extracting their carry piece.

The handgun in the picture is a full size 1911, Rock Island, all steel. You can use it to gauge the overall size of the holster, . . . and yeah, . . . it works. Primarily it is designed for IWB, . . . but is also fully tuckable, allowing your shirt to be tucked in around it, . . . fully concealing your weapon while still keeping your shirt tail inside your belt.

May God bless,
Dwight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45 iwb cactus_redone.jpg (34.7 KB, 354 views)
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 4, 2009, 04:04 PM   #21
velobard

I vote for a Crossbreed Supertuck worn at 4:00-4:30. You probably won't want the combat grip option. Other similar holsters are the MTAC and the Kholster, you should be fine with any of them.
Old January 4, 2009, 04:14 PM   #22
Webleymkv

I'm 6'4" and 280lbs. In the summer, I carry a 2.5" S&W M66 in a OWB holster by El Paso Saddlery somewhere between 3:30 and 4:00. With the right one, I can conceal it under a T-Shirt. If I'm feeling lazy, the Colt Cobra .38 Snubby goes in the right fron pocket in a Galco pocket holster. In the winter, I can easily carry either my 4" M28 or my 4" M629 in the same position as the M66 in a Kramer OWB holster with my coat over it. I've tried IWB, Ankle, and Shoulder rigs before. The shoulder rig was OK, but kind of a pain in the butt IMHO, the ankle rig was uncomfortable and IWB was extremely uncomfortable.
Old January 4, 2009, 04:25 PM   #23
DaveyG

Man I love this thread I am 6'4" and 375 in the cold weather and wearing a jacket/coat I can pretty much carry whatever I want in OWB. In warmer weather wearing shorts and t-shirt I found it tough but I usually carry either my seecamp or S&W airweight in my pocket.
Old January 4, 2009, 04:30 PM   #24
Stevie-Ray

I'm 6'4" and 250 lbs. Mostly muscle, but my age and the wife's condition, and therefore lack of gym time, are growing the "love handles" at an alarming rate. I gave up on the IWB long ago and adopted the OWB carry and started wearing my shirts out for the first time in over 30 years. It's something I should have done long ago. For me, it's Don Hume's JIT Slide for the Kimber UCDP and H&K USPC, an Uncle Mike's Kydex for the Glock 26, and the latest is a Galco M7X Matrix for the Glock 29. All of these are extremely comfortable, all but maybe the Kydex hold the weapon close to the body, (so you don't need that big shirt look) and in the case of the Galco and Kydex, offer very good retention. All are very inexpensive.

I always carry a P32 in a pocket holster for BUG.

Last edited by Stevie-Ray; January 4, 2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old January 4, 2009, 05:06 PM   #25
onthejon55

haha try carrying a handgun when you're 5'6 and 120lbs. I make a P22 look like i have a brick tucked in my pants