The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Oregon John

Primers and Bullet Question

I am new to reloading. My Lee Classic Turret is on its way. Now, I need to figure out primers and bullets and powder.

First, how does one figure out what primers work work with a .223 bolt action, and a .243 rifle? What are the best quality primers and how much difference does the primer make in accuracy?

My next question concerns bullets for the .243. I sometimes see the bullets listed as 6mm/.243. 6 mm is actually .2362 inches so are bullets for the 6 mm rifle always fine for the .243 or is there actually a difference?

I have the Lee manual and Hornady manual coming and expect to obtain lots of good information on recipes for each rifle. Does the manuals always provide the over all length of the loaded round, and of the case without bullet?

I have read the ABC's of Reloading 8th edition and it is great but these questions remain unanswered.

Any information or advice is appreciated.
Old December 19, 2008, 04:55 PM   #2
10 Spot Terminator

your ABCs' of reloading should have been able to clarify these questions for you,,, the .223 requires small rifle primers, the .243 requires large rifle primers not to be confused with large rifle magnums and yes the bullets for your .243 are of the 6mm configuration. To note as well the bullets for your .223 are of .224 diameter. When your new manuals arrive make them your best friends and do yourself a favor and read them completely. You will have a much better idea of the entire process and help guide you in the direction you want to go with your reloading. I bought and read 2 manuals before I bought any equipment at all and not having much money in those days it helped me greatly. My first equipment was used and served me well for many years . It was then and still continues to be a rewarding, fun, learning expierience .
Old December 19, 2008, 08:11 PM   #3
dardascastbullets

Hi John,

I have had extensive experience with RWS primers and found that they were the cadillac of ALL primers bar none. I will forewarn you that they are not cheap and they shouldn't be. For they will produce standard deviations in the single digits consistently. I won many state championships in both high power and long range with RWS primers. And there were many times that my loads were heads and tails above the next closest competitor in very difficult conditions.

So, if your pocketbook can tolerate it, purchase some RWS primers and enjoy the ultimate in primer quality!
Old December 19, 2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Oregon John

Matt, thanks for the information on primers. They seem to be one of those things not much talked about.

10 Spot Terminator, thank you for your advice. I will read the manuals that are coming. I will also have someone help me who reloads. We are both members of a local gun club.

Any opinion on good bullet size for the .223 and .243. The .223 has a 1 to 9 trist and the .243 has a 1 to 9.25 twist. I plan to do lots of target shooting and then varminting.

What about your thoughts on good powers?

Thanks,

John Sullivan