The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 2008, 09:21 PM   #1
standavidson

45 acp Re-Loading: Help out this ROOKIE!

just bought a new Dillon RL 550 B - and getting ready to start loading 45 acp. before i began, i thought it might be wise to check and make sure what i'm going to do is okay to do... to pop my cherry. i have purchased 1,000 rounded nose FMJ - 1,000 CCI large pistol primers, and bullseye powder. i plan on using 5.0 grains to start, but thought i might ask if that's something that is common / or something like people have used.

i have purchased the lyman 49th edition book, but to be perfectly honest i'm wanting to be a little extra careful. the reloading will be more of a hobby (i hope) than anything.

also - anybody shooting lead bullets out there? darn, these FMJ are really expensive. the cost of the lead bullets are certainly attractive...but i've heard some stories of how it gums up the barrel.... any truth to that?

what kind of price (per bullet) are people getting to? i've figured up this first batch...and with once fired brass, cci primers, bullseye powder and 230 gram FMJ bullets i'm coming up about .15 cents each? is that normal?

thanks,

stan
Old December 8, 2008, 09:28 PM   #2
kraigwy

I'd higly recommend that you back off that 5 grns of bulleye load. I dont thing its necessary. When I was running the AK NG marksmanship program the army ran out of 45s in the 80s, we (my unit) desided to relord for our match 45s. In testing the loads, we found that 4.7 matched the velocity of the 45 Hardball Match that was suppose to be loaded with 5 grns.

I'd probably start at 4.5 and adjust to fit your gun.

Now as far as cast bullets ,we used a lot of them also, but we didnt see the need for hot loads. We loaded 3.8 grns of Bullseye pushing a 230 grn cast bullet, they worked in all our guns. In fact because of the experiecne that is all I use today.

JMHO.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 8, 2008, 09:29 PM   #3
murphjup

Stan,

I like you started loading .45 ACP over the summer.. I use a different powder, but I figure the same per round cost using FMJ bullets...

Maybe someone here has used the same bullets and powder and have a recipe for you...

I will let the other guys here with more experience answer your other questions...

Old December 8, 2008, 09:38 PM   #4
standavidson

okay, thanks guys. kraig - thanks for the advice on the powder. backing it off certainly probably makes sense anyways since i primarily shoot at indoor range at bass pro here in springfield, missouri. the whole process is a little overwhelming at this point...but i'm sure with some patience, good advice, and caution... can turn out to be something i can enjoy as a hobby. thanks to all for the pointers... much needed!
Old December 8, 2008, 09:40 PM   #5
cdrt

For CMP EIC matches that require using the 230 grain FMJ bullet, I load 4.5 grains of Bullseye. It's hot enough for the 50 yard slow fire portion and not too hot for the 25 yard timed and rapid fire portion. I've gone as low as 4.0 with good results. The 4.0 load might require a lighter spring in your pistol.

With a lead 230 grain round nose bullet, the 4.0 load is really nice and will not lead your barrel.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old December 8, 2008, 10:01 PM   #6
MidwestShooter

I wouldn't use lead, not for the barrel fouling but for the health concerns. No reason to put your health at risk handling lead. I use Barry's copper plated bullets. There cheap enough and they shoot clean and accurate. Some might say they have been reloading lead for years and there lead levels are fine. Well I say they are fine because they are "there" lead levels. There are no safe levels of lead.
Whatever your reloading cost is, it will be offset by the continued use of the brass. each time reloaded the cost goes down. .45 Brass lasts forever! You can reload it many times due to the low pressures, if you stay where you should with powders. A good load with Vit N310 is 4.3 gr, 230 gr rn nose Barry, Winchester large pistol primers. Shoots very clean. Prudence would be to start lower for your gun, maybe 4.0 gr and work up from there.
If you are serious about reloading and shooting, join a local club. That way the more you shoot the less it costs, you can retrieve all your brass, and learn to chrono your load.
Good Luck
Old December 9, 2008, 07:55 AM   #7
45Marlin carbine

IMO Bullseye is one of the best (if not best) for loading cast slugs. I agree you should drop your charge down a bit.
I've never matched the accuracy of cast slugs w/plated myself but YMMV.
Old December 9, 2008, 09:23 AM   #8
cdrt

Quote:
I wouldn't use lead, not for the barrel fouling but for the health concerns. No reason to put your health at risk handling lead. I use Barry's copper plated bullets. There cheap enough and they shoot clean and accurate. Some might say they have been reloading lead for years and there lead levels are fine. Well I say they are fine because they are "there" lead levels. There are no safe levels of lead.
Handling lead bullets is not hazardous if you take normal precautions, like washing your hands after reloading. It is the lead dust or fumes that are bad and they need to ingested to cause problems. If you are reloading or casting bullets, just make sure you're in a well ventilated area. Below is some info from the Mayo Clinic on-line site. Notice that it is people working with stained glass windows that might have a problem, since you're dealing with lead as you would in bullet casting.

Quote:
Children who are most at risk. Babies and young children especially are susceptible to lead exposure because they have a tendency to put objects in their mouths. They may eat or chew paint chips, or their hands or other objects placed in their mouths may be contaminated with lead dust. Lead poisoning is more dangerous to fetuses, babies and children than to adults because lead is more easily absorbed into growing bodies. The tissue of children also is more sensitive to lead's damaging effects. Although lead exposure can affect any child, those who are most at risk are children who live in older housing, usually in inner city areas.

Public health efforts have helped to decrease the percentage of children with elevated blood lead levels from more than 4 percent in the early 1990s to less than 2 percent among children ages 1 to 5, according to the latest report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Adults who are most at risk. Adults may breathe in lead dust while remodeling a home, while working on certain jobs with lead exposure or while engaging in a hobby, such as making stained glass or refinishing furniture. If you're pregnant, take extra precautions, because lead can damage your developing baby.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old December 9, 2008, 12:28 PM   #9
Fred_Fred

As for leading of the barrel with cast bullets - read the article from UncleNick here;
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=321586
My barrel was leading really bad until I started seating bullets according to his diagrams. No leading since. None. Groups got better too..

Have fun!
Old December 9, 2008, 08:14 PM   #10
MidwestShooter

Lead Argument

Well, I've heard the lead argument a thousand times and never one time has anyone been able to come up with a good reason why to shoot lead. Some people claim cost but it's a few dollars per thousand. Seems like some just want to be right. I agree, the risks are reduce if you handle it right, wash your hands,(one guy said don't smoke while reloading!) but my point is why bother. Just don't make any sense at all.
Too many negatives, not enough positives, kinda like democrats!
Old December 9, 2008, 08:46 PM   #11
rn22723

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I've heard the lead argument a thousand times and never one time has anyone been able to come up with a good reason why to shoot lead. Some people claim cost but it's a few dollars per thousand. Seems like some just want to be right. I agree, the risks are reduce if you handle it right, wash your hands,(one guy said don't smoke while reloading!) but my point is why bother. Just don't make any sense at all.
Too many negatives, not enough positives, kinda like democrats!
You really do not know what you are talking about......

Raw cost
Precison Delta 230gr FMJ $126 per k delivered
Black Bullets International 230gr RN poly coated lead $110 per delivered
Missouri Bullets 230gr Lead RN $85 per k delivered

I do not know what you think a few dollars is? But,that 41 dollar difference in price pays for the primers and powder to load them bullets.
Old December 10, 2008, 06:43 AM   #12
WESHOOT2

Lead bullets of good quality will never wear out your barrel.

(I bought a box of 500 hardcast 230g RN yesterday from a new-to-me maker; cost was $35.)
Old December 10, 2008, 01:58 PM   #13
standavidson

great information, thanks for the help.

well, one thing this rookie has learned is that the whole subject of shooting with lead brings up a debate in itself.

i appreciate the feedback on the powder, and will go with 4.5g of bullseye, cci large pistol primer, and 230g FMJ for my first batch. although somewhat overwhelmed at this point.... i'm hoping that after a little bit of time and experience i can lose my anxiety of making mistakes during the whole process.

another couple of rookie questions for anyone wanting to participate:

1. bullseye may not be the "cleanest" powder from the articles i'm reading. i went with it specifically because of most the articles saying it was one of the more common..... but is there something else that you would suggest that would be a "cleaner" powder?

2. are most of you loading 230g 45 ammo for range practice.... or is it better to load 185g or 200g instead?

thanks,
Semper Fi
Old December 10, 2008, 02:13 PM   #14
BigJimP

I stay with 230 gr CMJ bullets, Montana Gold brand - and I use Hodgdon TiteGroup for powder, CCI primers. Minimum on TiteGroup is 4.4 grains / Maximum is 4.8 grains. I load them to 4.6 grains.

Just relax as you get started in this process / read a lot / learn all about your press ( how it sounds, how it operates ). If you're nervous - back off it / get some counsel. The most important thing is the powder drop / not too much / not too little ( so you don't get a squib round ) - and even if you have to weigh each powder drop on the first 50 rounds, just so you know what they are, its ok. Its your hands pulling that trigger and your eyes behind those loads.

Most of us have loaded many tens of thousands of cartridges - but we were all rookies once too / my grandfather led me thru all this when I was a kid ( a few years ago ..) - but rushing thru this can hurt you / or damage a gun. You've been under stress before - and you know how to realize it - don't get too worked up / just be methodical, thoughtful and analytical - and you'll probably be fine.
Old December 10, 2008, 07:28 PM   #15
jeepster11

i have the dillon rl 550 also and i load lead 200 grain semi wad cutters with universal clays it cycles great and i can get 500 projectiles for 35 dollars
Old December 10, 2008, 07:36 PM   #16
Nnobby45

If the CCI primers work ok, that's fine. If you have any trouble, then I'd switch to Winchester.
Old December 10, 2008, 09:33 PM   #17
MidwestShooter

Duh

Quote:
You really do not know what you are talking about......

Raw cost
Precison Delta 230gr FMJ $126 per k delivered
Black Bullets International 230gr RN poly coated lead $110 per delivered
Missouri Bullets 230gr Lead RN $85 per k delivered

I do not know what you think a few dollars is? But,that 41 dollar difference in price pays for the primers and powder to load them bullets.
I'm sorry your so poor.

But I buy my Barry's in bulk 35k at a time and they are plenty cheap. Maybe a few dollars more per 1000 but hardly worth the heath risk.

But hey what the heck, lead goes well with Darwinism so before long, nature will take it's course!
Old December 10, 2008, 10:53 PM   #18
Bama46

I have loaded my .45ACP for years with 230 FMJ over 5.0 gr of Red Dot. This is a nice middle of the road loading and I have no trouble with it. I use Federal 150 primers.
I have tried to save a buck or two over the years with lead and have been sorry every time. In fact, I have about 400 rounds of lead bullets just waiting to be turned into fishing weights from the last time I lost my mind and bought some!
Old December 12, 2008, 12:16 PM   #19
WESHOOT2

I'm poor, too

Someone here is making noises like a know-it-all elitist snob; how very refreshing.
I would point out that lead bullets have been in use for some time, and by the billions, without the "health threat" Darwinizing lives.

I buy lead bullets due to their lower cost, and the fact that they will not wear out my barrels.
Old December 12, 2008, 12:21 PM   #20
WESHOOT2

45 ACP for beginniing

230g RN (can be lead, plated, or jacketed).
OAL 1.255".
Sized case, new or used.
CCI30 / WLP primer.
5.0g W231.

This is normally accurate, and offers very modest recoil, yet still approaches "Major PF" from 5" guns for USPSA.

One may vary the charge weight (check published data); one may vary OAL for reliable function (this charge weight allows for 1.220" up to 1.270").
Old December 12, 2008, 12:51 PM   #21
ZeSpectre

Quote:
230 gram FMJ bullets
Just FYI, bullets are measured in "grains". A 230 "gram" bullet would be about 3,500 "grains" and that would be one BIG bullet!

I've only been reloading about half a year so far but a good portion of that has been .45 ACP.
(DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a professional, you use the following information at your own risk!)
I've settled on a standard target load of 5.0gr of Unique Powder behind a 230gr LRN bullet (Hornady #12308) Which I can get for $20/200 right now at a local shop. It chucks that lead at a good speed and I have had zero lead issues in a Charles Daly and a Rock Island Armory.
Old December 12, 2008, 12:54 PM   #22
Powderman

Quote:
I'm sorry your so poor.

But I buy my Barry's in bulk 35k at a time and they are plenty cheap. Maybe a few dollars more per 1000 but hardly worth the heath risk.

But hey what the heck, lead goes well with Darwinism so before long, nature will take it's course!
Well, sir or ma'am, welcome to TFL. 12 posts and you're already alienating the board. Congratulations.

For your information--seeing that us lead bullet shooters are wasting money and working ourselves into an early grave by your standards--here's a bit of info to chew on.

I have been actively shooting for close to 40 years. I currently shoot NRA Conventional Pistol, also known as Bullseye shooting. I practice often to maintain proficiency with my duty gun, too. My practice load and competition load is the 200 gr. HG 68 LSWC, sized to .452, cast by me from range scrap.

Just to give you some figures, I cast 3325 useable bullets from 100 pounds of alloy. $32.00 will get me about 2 lbs. of HP38 powder; a charge weight of 4.5 grains gives me a good accurate load that will hold the 10 ring at 50 yards, and will cycle my duty gun. $80.00 worth of primers will do all the cases, with some left over--although it's somewhat cheaper since I buy them by the sleeve.

This gives me a price of $3.85 per box of 50 rounds, not factoring in the cost of filling a propane tank--which lasts me for about 10 prolonged casting sessions.

Since I have access to a VA hospital, I have myself checked for accumulations of lead 3x per year. None of my lead surveys has even come close to a hazardous or excessive level.

In closing, may I suggest that you take a less confrontational tone with your posts? You will be much better received that way, I think.
Old December 12, 2008, 01:14 PM   #23
Fred_Fred

It's wrong to post this but it's too funny to resist - A guy who can't spell warning others of "Darwinism". Now that's funny!
Old December 12, 2008, 01:15 PM   #24
Cloudpeak

Quote:
Someone here is making noises like a know-it-all elitist snob; how very refreshing.
I would point out that lead bullets have been in use for some time, and by the billions, without the "health threat" Darwinizing lives.

Westshoot2,
Shame on you. That's no way to welcome someone new to the forum

I welcome his great knowledge and insight on cast bullets. After all, reading his post with it's college level punctuation and sentence syntax along with the creative, "alternate spelling/use" of "your" and "Barrys", you know this guy knows what he's talking about.

Plus, it sounds to me like if anyone knows the danger of lead and it's "Darwinizing" effect, it would be this new poster who's from the area of the country that gave us Obama, Rev. Wright, Pfleger, Ayers, The Daly's and Blagojevich.

Just an opinion from a poor guy who's been casting for 30 some years with no lead caused health problems

Cloudpeak
Old December 12, 2008, 10:50 PM   #25
standavidson

UPDATE

wow, nice to see everyone gets along so well..... lol.

well, for those of you who were trying to help me out during my rookie attempt... THANK YOU!!

i'm so excited right now. i got my 550B this morning... got it all set up. ouch. that was a chore (remember, this is my rookie days).

after being ever so careful, i am confindent that i have made something safe / worth shooting.

i probably was a little "over the top" with the whole safety & setup....but it's done. and i proudly have my first re-loaded rounds to go try.

i can certainly see as to how it may get addictive, i had so much fun learning...checking...and re-checking.

first batch 4.5 g bullseye with cci large pistol primers.

wish me luck...... be a couple of days before i get to go play... little thing called work getting in the way (pilot, always on the go)
Semper Fi