The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2002, 10:27 AM   #1
Greg Mueller

PACT vs RCBS

I've been looking into "Digital Precision Powder Measurer" gizmos and noticed a striking similarity between the PACT and RCBS unit. Is it the same unit with different names on the front or is one a knockoff of the other?
How's this setup work? Does the scale tell the trickler when it has enough or what? Can you set it so you just push one button and it throws the same load over and over?
Old November 20, 2002, 11:48 AM   #2
moredes

PACT makes the scale and dispenser for RCBS, who markets it under their own name. Yes to both your questions. The scale is quite sensitive. It is somewhat temperature sensitive, at least mine goes whacky at about 95 degrees, and I have to restart it and calibrate all over again. Vibration and wind (like from a fan or air conditioning vent can throw it askew. I put mine on a large slab of marble, and it works marvelously.

I wish I'd bought it 20 years ago. Weighing cases (for competition rifle reloading) was such a pain with a beam scale. The scale is pretty accurate, and the dispenser throws consistently enough for my uses. (+- .01gr---I can't shoot well enough to see that error influence my groups---.4 to .6xxMOA out of a Super Match M1A).

Sometimes Midway has the set on sale for about $280; when they're sold on sale, look for a special combo deal, not the sale where each item is discounted (that's only for those that want either item and not both as a package deal).
Old November 20, 2002, 05:30 PM   #3
Greg Mueller

Thanks moredes
Midway is backordered right now on the PACT setup, but they did have it for the price you suggested. I'm on the waiting list
Old November 21, 2002, 01:57 AM   #4
moredes

I forgot...

The dispenser is slow to drop powder; for example, I'm guessing it takes about 40 seconds to drop 43.5 gr of IMR 4064. What I do is set up a powder measure to throw a load a few tenths shy, say at 43.2, and drop it into the scale pan, and then hit the button on the dispenser and have it 'trickle up'. It keeps up with me when I use my progressive press, and is much more accurate for my competition rifle loads.

Another trick--the scale pan is plastic, and I've heard its' prone to accumulate static. I dunno, I never tried it; I used to use the metal pan from my RCBS 5-0-5 til I sold the 5-0-5. (RCBS sent me another pan when I called them though.) But I found some really small stainless steel pots at Walmart that work better because they're deeper. They came in a set for ~$3, the diameter of the 4 pots went from 2" to about 3 1/2". I found them in the kitchen section. They actually look like toys.