The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 15, 2013, 09:25 PM   #1
North East Redneck

any thoughts/opinions or experience regarding ROA conversion in .45ACP?

Anyone shot one or own one? Been thinking about getting a conversion for my ROA, after looking at ammo prices, I believe the .45ACP would be more fun (economical) than .45 Colt. I don't reload and don't really have time to do so. Making time to shoot is difficult enough. Kirst makes a conversion, others probably do also. I saw them for about $315. Is this reasonable? Its Stainless, not blued if that matters.
Old February 16, 2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Willie Sutton

Yes, long an painful story but... and it's not a Ruger but it'll be one data point.

I set up a Dillon RL-550 and loaded 2000 rounds of lead .45 ACP and screwed up... they would not feed in my 1911 due to being slightly over length. They sat for a decade in an ammo can.

Saw a Pietta 1858 Remmie with .45 ACP cyclinder on GB and bought it, and am slowly shooting up that "bad" ammo with the greatest of smiles. Works great, about the same as my Uberti's with .45 LC cowboy loads.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; February 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old February 16, 2013, 02:38 PM   #3
robhof

robhof

If you can find 45 ACP with lead bullets then it would be great, the jacketed bullets will probably work, but may cause premature wear on the barrel as it was specifically made for soft lead. Having said that as others have expressed the same concerns on other posts, I know that Ruger built the ROA with the same metals and much of the same parts as the early Blackhawks and a friend of mine actually put a Blackhawk barrel on an ROA after finding one with a damaged barrel for a great price.
Old February 16, 2013, 03:05 PM   #4
woodnbow

I'm just guessing here but I'd bet Ruger used the same steel in ROA as they do in the blackhawk..
Old February 17, 2013, 11:08 PM   #5
North East Redneck

Thanks for the replies and info. I will have to contact Ruger and see what they say about FMJ being shot through the ROA. I would prefer to shoot lead only rounds, but those may be tough to find. If the barrel is the same as the BlackHawk, then I think I will go for it. Thanks guys!
Willie, enjoy shooting up all those rounds!
Old February 17, 2013, 11:14 PM   #6
North East Redneck

Also, and not sure if it matters about what they were made from, my ROA is '76 or '77 vintage.
Old February 18, 2013, 01:05 AM   #7
Willie Sutton

Ruger is going to tell you "no way".. why would they go out on a liability limb?

It'll work fine. Get one, shoot it, and enjoy it. If my Pietta will shoot them with ease so will the Ruger. I've shot many hundreds of my handloads, and a few hundred 230 grain ball cartridges in a revolver that is not nearly the revolver you have.

Willie

Old February 18, 2013, 08:34 PM   #8
North East Redneck

Willie, you're right. They would say no. I should have thought about that. if your Pietta can handle ball, then I guess I'm not too worried about the ROA. Thanks.