The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 11, 2018, 12:14 PM   #1
libiglou

upgrades to my ptr91

Hey Guys

Well ,I have had my ptr91 rifle for some 10 years. Shoot it maybe once or twice a year. I finally completely field stripped it(3 hours to clean and the bolt reassembly was a PIA) I have to admit its not pleasant to shoot but I have decided to give it another chance by making improvements. First the recoil. I know I would have to replace the stock to fit a rubber pad on it but the cost is well over $100. Has anybody used a slip on recoil pad? I would like to upgrade the handguards to a wider grip but again that,s a near $200 option. Anybody know were I can get one cheaper. Not sure about a sling. Something simple would do. Any other ideas that are simple and inexpensive.
Old March 11, 2018, 02:42 PM   #2
ttarp

Look up RTG parts, they have wide handguards for $75

For recoil, look into a PCS Heavy Buffer, RTG is out at the moment, but IIRC I heard they were about to receive another batch. Thats $70 well spent.

RTG also has G3 slings, leather, and canvas.

I'm not sure what stock you have that you would need to buy a new one, other than replacing the standard recoil buffer, I've always left my stocks stock(ha ha).
Old March 11, 2018, 07:59 PM   #3
NWPilgrim

The best thing I did was to get a ejection "buffer" or whatever it is called to dampen the ejected cases. Without it the cases few a good 30 ft to the 1-2 o'clock. All it is a rubber bumper for the cases to hit at the rear of the ejection port and really dampens the trajectory. Newer ones may have this incorporated already?
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 11, 2018, 08:47 PM   #4
ttarp

Quote:
Newer ones may have this incorporated already?
Not that I've heard. The clip on port buffers do make a difference, later German military rifles had a metal weld on port buffer.
Old March 11, 2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Model12Win

Get a Pakistani wide handguard for $75. Just as good as the HK ones.

The PTR-91 is an easy gun to disassemble... once you get the bolt figured out. You kind of have to turn it so so but after practice, every bit as fast and simple as an AR.

In general they're good, reliable stoppers. I think they're best used in original battle rifle configuration, i.e iron sights, a sling, and not a whole lot else. Think of them as a big ass AK. Personally I think putting a big optic on one and bipods etc. just makes for a pig. Already heavy enough in battle rifle config. The only optic I'd consider is a red dot.
Old March 12, 2018, 11:28 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...as a big ass AK..." Not even close. They're a clone of the HK 91/G3 battle rifle. PTR standing for "Precision Target Rifle." is a marketing joke.
Can't imagine a 10 pound, semi-auto, .308 having much felt recoil. What ammo are you using? A slip on pad from Pachmayr runs about $30. It may or may not fit though.
Any sling will do. If it has HK(or 'tactical') in its name, it'll cost more, but look at this one.
https://www.amazon.com/German-G3-Lea.../dp/B009ERFTLA
There should be no reason to ever disassemble the bolt unless the firing pin breaks.
Old March 12, 2018, 07:15 PM   #7
libiglou

Thanks to all the advice. You guys gave me some good places to start looking for parts. As far as recoil, its not as bad as my mosin but at 53 it does beat me up. I use reloads and I'm also going through a can of Malaysian belted machine gun ammo (have to take the links apart). That stuff is a bit spicy. I only recover 30% of my brass. It sends them to china. My kids love shooting this rifle but its a handful to hold and shoot especially if your not that big. As far as cleaning the bolt. It was extremely dirty when I took it apart. To each his own. Would love to get a FAL one day to compare but I have to wait till I move out of NY since we have some stupid laws here. I will post when I get some upgrades going.
Old March 13, 2018, 07:51 AM   #8
PlatinumCore16

It is a big, heavy rifle. That helps a lot in the recoil department. You can certainly upgrade the buffer assembly. They make a heavy duty one for whatever the precision model was (PSR?). I would take the stock off and take it with you to whatever store you were looking to get a slip on pad from and just test fit them right there. I'm sure you'll find one that fits. Also you can use the trigger group to remove the bolt head from the rest of the assembly. It's tough to explain, but there's a space in the front of the plastic that has a cutout for the mag release and it fits very nicely around the rails on the (underside?) of the bolt. I'll have to take some pictures when I get home to show you.

T. O'heir: I was under the impression that PTR was just the manufacturer and they used 91 as it's an HK91 clone...?
Old March 14, 2018, 06:04 AM   #9
davidsog

Quote:
I finally completely field stripped it(3 hours to clean and the bolt reassembly was a PIA)
I have to ask....

What are you doing that it takes so long to disassemble and clean??

It takes less than 10 seconds to leisurely disassemble the rifle and why so long for you to clean it?

Are you using a push broom and beach towel?? :P
Old March 14, 2018, 06:13 PM   #10
davidsog

Quote:
bolt reassembly was a PIA
This may help you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzi1t5i95CQ
Old March 14, 2018, 06:56 PM   #11
libiglou

Guys remember I haven't cleaned it in 10 years, shooting maybe 2000 rounds without a cleaning so when it came apart I went to town. The carbon build up was bad. My rags were solid black. As far as the bolt, watched several youtube videos and finally figured out how to do it. I will do a better job of keeping it clean. Its a struggle finding time to shoot much less to clean. I have to say. I have shot S. African, PAKI, MALAYSIAN rounds and countless reloads of all manner and this rifle has never had a hiccup. Just as reliable as my AK's.
Old March 14, 2018, 07:09 PM   #12
davidsog

Quote:
Guys remember I haven't cleaned it in 10 years, shooting maybe 2000 rounds without a cleaning
Now it makes sense, LOL!!

Old March 14, 2018, 07:53 PM   #13
ttarp

That's a good testament to the reliability of the design. And people try to say you have to keep the flutes super clean or they'll choke, what a joke.
Old March 15, 2018, 07:01 AM   #14
PlatinumCore16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttarp View Post
That's a good testament to the reliability of the design. And people try to say you have to keep the flutes super clean or they'll choke, what a joke.
OHHHHHH HE's a poet and he doesn't even know it!! (Or maybe he does)

Back on topic, 10years before cleaning is quite a long time lol. I'd recommend cutting that down if you can.
Old March 15, 2018, 09:16 AM   #15
Destructo6

Quote:
And people try to say you have to keep the flutes super clean or they'll choke, what a joke.
You're right, keeping any decent design "super clean" isn't necessary.

Ever run Venezuelan "Cavim" 7.62x51 through a G3 design? I'll suggest not to. The tar sealant has been known to choke a G3 in a couple of magazines. Works ok in a FAL, though.

Keep all of them clean.
Old March 15, 2018, 10:44 AM   #16
davidsog

Quote:
Ever run Venezuelan "Cavim" 7.62x51 through a G3 design? I'll suggest not to. The tar sealant has been known to choke a G3 in a couple of magazines. Works ok in a FAL, though.
That is not a complete story. It is kind of like thinking all FN-FAL's have a bolt lock when most service models do not.

Many nations that use the G3 also produce tar-sealant ammunition for it and it works very well since adoption of the weapon. The delay roller blowback design is simply more reliable than a gas piston especially when it comes to handling dirt.

Here is the G3 delayed roller blowback system in a mud test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYdoG4_Hmyc

Here is the FN-FAL gas piston system in a mud test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIkye_o3bGc

You can see why the FN-FAL is not a favorite of desert nations while many still manufacture HK G3 clones.

Now, PTR industries did put out a disclaimer not to use tar sealant ammunition in their PTR-91F series with the non-standard fluting/chambers. That is correct and tar sealant will cause malfunctions in those guns.

Therein lies the grain of truth in your statement!

Last edited by davidsog; March 15, 2018 at 12:54 PM.