The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 13, 2009, 06:56 AM   #1
swatpup102

USA Service Day, Sign Up for your rights!

President Elect Obama has called for a national day or weekend of service between January the 17th and the 19th. In Honor of this momentous occasion, I have decided to plan a service event called the National Shooting Range Weekend. You can see the details by visiting the USA Service site posted in the link.

http://www.usaservice.org/page/event/detail/4v8fg

President Elect Obama has made it very clear that we should all work together to make this country better for us all and share in what we have to the benefit of others. What better way than to invite someone new to firearms to your local range and teach them proper gun safety and technique, as well as share the joy found in the firearms sports. Heed the call of your soon to be Commander-in-Chief and sign up today!

Last edited by swatpup102; January 13, 2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old January 13, 2009, 10:56 AM   #2
LucifersPants

Somehow I don't think this is what The Annointed One Obama had in mind, but I like it.

Last edited by Al Norris; January 13, 2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Rules violation
Old January 13, 2009, 11:15 AM   #3
swatpup102

As arms safety is an essential element to a society that lists the right to bear arms in their constitution, I feel it is only appropriate to promote, as a community service, proper firearm safety to all that are willing in order to prevent accidents or poor misconceptions involving firearms.
Old January 13, 2009, 11:17 AM   #4
LucifersPants

Quote:
As arms safety is an essential element to a society that lists the right to bear arms in their constitution, I feel it is only appropriate to promote, as a community service, proper firearm safety to all that are willing in order to prevent accidents or poor misconceptions involving firearms.

I agree completely...but I suspect that what our new Commrade in Chief President really had in mind was for everyone to go out and put a fresh coat of paint on the ghetto of your choice so we could all feel better about ourselves..

Last edited by Al Norris; January 13, 2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Rules violation
Old January 13, 2009, 11:20 AM   #5
swatpup102

I can only hope that's what he has in mind, as he will see through community action that his ideas are not the only ideas in this nation. I'm counting on it.
Old January 13, 2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

While there are certainly some here, that like President-elect Obama, I suspect that most do not. However, using terms like, "The Annointed One" and "Commrade in Chief" are not only partisan politics, they are also invectives.

This is part of what brought down the old L&P forum. Both are specifically mentioned as a "no-no" in the forum rules for L&CR: "This is what our opposition does. We must take the High Road, at all times. Therefore, If you cannot use the proper terms/labels for what you are discussing, then don't bother posting at all."
Old January 13, 2009, 05:30 PM   #7
USAFNoDak

It's going to be colder than a well diggers behind up here in Minnesota this weekend. Taking a newbie to the range may not work out so well.

To go off on a tangent, I read a few years back that a group of parents got together as a volunteer group to go into an inner city school and do some painting to improve the school. They got shut down because they were not affiliated with the union which had the contract to paint schools. I can't remember the city, unfortunately. I wonder how often those things happen. Sorry to veer off of guns for the topic, but to bring it full circle, there are no unions which have contracts to teach gun safety, so we should be safe there.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.
Old January 14, 2009, 12:54 AM   #8
RedneckFur

Sounds like a good idea. I'll try to invite a new shooter to the range that weekend, and hopefully spark some new intrest in firearms and the shooiting sports.

If I cant do that, I guess I could always volunteer some time to fix berms or pick up brass.
Old January 14, 2009, 09:35 AM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Just invited one.
Old January 14, 2009, 09:48 PM   #10
P5 Guy

Sorry

I'm going to the Gunshow. What if I take some one?