The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 16, 2019, 09:03 PM   #1
kmw1954

Ans so it begins for Illinois

New Gov. for the state and the bills will start flowing. Sorry but it looks like the voters have gotten just what they wanted. This will effect me as the range I shoot at is 25 min. into Illinois. The poor guy just bought up this old shop that has been there since the 1970's. The range is old, outdated but still very serviceable and my wife enjoys going there. This is so old it still has the hand cranks for the targets! Present owner has been there less than 2 years and has really done a lot with this business.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...lDTC?ocid=iehp
Old January 16, 2019, 09:46 PM   #2
CommandoX

Wow...they really are screwed. Yikes. I can hear my Illinois friend's teeth gnashing from here.
Old January 16, 2019, 11:06 PM   #3
littlebikerider

The folks who wrote this apparently didn't consider that they are stressing one of the few small businesses a guy in Rural IL might be able to make a dollar at, still won't get rich. Not only that, but it means that folks just needing an FFL transfer will have to drive...how far??? Because you can't do that at Walmart.

And as a guy who shoots airguns as well as firearms, the fact that even airguns over .18 require the whole FFL transfer/background check yada yada makes me crazy.

Illinois is a good state to leave, before all that is left is predators and prey.

....end of rant...
Old January 17, 2019, 01:15 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
“We allow schools, and movie theaters, hospitals, neighborhoods to become battlefields — legally accessible by the weapons of war,” he said. “Our abdication of responsibility must end.”

I find it astonishing we allow people who make statements like this to hold public office...
Old January 17, 2019, 06:35 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Illinois never ceases to amaze me, . . . . and not in a good way.

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.
--The Beatles
Old January 17, 2019, 08:01 AM   #6
FITASC

And NJ, WA and now OR are going even further.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 17, 2019, 11:10 AM   #7
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
New Gov. for the state and the bills will start flowing. Sorry but it looks like the voters have gotten just what they wanted. This will effect me as the range I shoot at is 25 min. into Illinois. The poor guy just bought up this old shop that has been there since the 1970's. The range is old, outdated but still very serviceable and my wife enjoys going there. This is so old it still has the hand cranks for the targets! Present owner has been there less than 2 years and has really done a lot with this business.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...lDTC?ocid=iehp
So that range is also a FFL?

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 17, 2019, 12:37 PM   #8
kmw1954

USNRRet93, yes it is. The new owner has brought in many new and used guns, both rifles and pistols. He has also taken over another small storefront that he is using as a classroom.

Now I can think of 8 others within an hour or so. Five of them are newer, within the past 3 years and 3 of them are smaller that do not have ranges to offer one is new this year.

I don't know why but I keep getting the feeling that we are on the loosing side of this discussion and it's scary. Like we are going to end up like the smokers did.
Old January 17, 2019, 04:01 PM   #9
Armed_Chicagoan

The kitchen table FFL I bought my last 3 guns from is now out of the gun selling business. I think he's moving to Wisconsin, he sees the writing on the wall. The bill is having its intended effect and it hasn't even been made law yet.
Old January 17, 2019, 04:31 PM   #10
kmw1954

Well maybe someone will actually construct an indoor range in the Lake Geneva, Paddock Lake Wi. Area!
Old January 17, 2019, 04:44 PM   #11
TXAZ

I had a problem getting the MSN link to work, but here is a Chicago Tribune similar article:

Illinois Gunners: Move to Texas

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...117-story.html

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 17, 2019, 05:27 PM   #12
kmw1954

I do believe the original story was taken from the Chicago Tribune.

Talking with my wife about this she has just informed me that the shop that we had been using to do firearms transfers has just recently closed. Now to find another new one.
Old January 17, 2019, 07:57 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

So, security cameras, anti-theft systems, annual employee training and an electronic inventory system, ALONG with another level of license and fees, these claimed to only cost FFL dealers $1500.
And this is going to reduce murder how??
Old January 17, 2019, 09:39 PM   #14
kmw1954

Same way a $2.00 a pack cigarette tax stopped people from smoking. Want to bet that money goes into the General Fund! That will help Illinois figure out how to pay their state pensions.
Old January 18, 2019, 01:29 PM   #15
littlebikerider

I haven't heard whether the $1500 license fee is final and the same for all dealers; whether it is an annual, recurring or one-time fee. Also, what defines an "anti-theft" system? And can an "electronic inventory" be a simple spreadsheet with the guns listed on it, or is there something special that is required?

I don't see any crime reduction here either, other than fewer guns stolen from poorly run shops. It looks more like the govern-mafia getting their cut of the action.
Old January 18, 2019, 01:44 PM   #16
stephen426

Politics as usual. It won't do a darn thing except hurt gun stores. Criminals will still buy their guns illegally or steal them. Law-abiding citizens will have a harder time buying guns. Stupid anti-gunners will be happy despite the fact that the new law won't do a darn thing to the murder rate.
Old January 18, 2019, 03:02 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I haven't heard whether the $1500 license fee is final and the same for all dealers; whether it is an annual, recurring or one-time fee.
My take from the linked article is that the state license fee is $300 (which is what they say they are going to charge FFL dealers who do not have a storefront), and that the cost of the "upgrades" required for those that have a shop will be approx. $1500 (cameras, anti theft system -what ever that is?, etc)

SO, assuming their estimate is correct (and I doubt that) a shop would need to spend $1500 in "security upgrades", ( and remember that whatever you get has to be approved by the state) ALONG with the cost of the new state license, in order to comply with the new law.

Also, while one would expect that the cost of additional security items would be a one time expense, it MIGHT not be. It's not impossible that a year or three down the road, the state might decide that your cameras and alarms no longer meet their requirements, and you'll have to replace them with new, approved equipment. That "$1500" or what ever it actually costs MIGHT become a recurring expense, at the whim of the bureaucracy. And/or they could just raise the license fee...

Also, there is the ever present risk that due to a "budget crisis" the state might (temporarily, of course) defund the processing of license applications and renewals. No license, no doing business. Win Win for the anti's.
Old January 18, 2019, 10:25 PM   #18
kmw1954

Makes me wonder how many of these politicians have ownerships in Security Companies.
Old January 19, 2019, 11:51 PM   #19
armoredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
And/or they could just raise the license fee...
I'd change that to "will"...
Old January 19, 2019, 11:51 PM   #20
Armed_Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebikerider
It looks more like the govern-mafia getting their cut of the action.
No, it's designed to drive FFLs out of business and it's already having that effect. This is a money loser for the state, which has no money to begin with.
Old January 20, 2019, 12:47 PM   #21
kmw1954

What will Chicago do when all the gun dealers have been run out of the state and the body count doesn't drop. Are they then going to start coming after my guns here in Wisconsin or your guns in Indiana? They got to be coming from somewhere!
Old January 20, 2019, 02:03 PM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Are they then going to start coming after my guns here in Wisconsin or your guns in Indiana?
If they follow Bloomberg's model, expect them to try...

(and probably break some laws doing it..)
Old January 20, 2019, 11:34 PM   #23
M88

Scary stuff... there just aren't enough of "us" compared to so many un-informed or misinformed "them", and the demographics don't look favorable for us in the future. That said... I'm not a "sky is falling" kinda guy... just saying it don't look good!
Old January 21, 2019, 12:21 AM   #24
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
What will Chicago do when all the gun dealers have been run out of the state and the body count doesn't drop. Are they then going to start coming after my guns here in Wisconsin or your guns in Indiana? They got to be coming from somewhere!
Pretty much. On the state level you'll have all the refugees from other states rushing in to ruin their new state with the same failed policies of their previous, decimated state. On the Federal level, I expect something along the lines of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban but multiple ones and permanent. The cumulative effect will make the U.S. more like current U.K. gun laws within 2 or 3 decades or so...
Old January 21, 2019, 07:58 AM   #25
FITASC

I think you're being optimistic on that timeline ATN......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa