The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 5, 2019, 05:07 PM   #1
chrisp51

Retro rifle build GAU 5/A/A

I have a colt car15 that I bought in the early 80's. It has no forward assist no mag release and no shell deflector. I was lucky and found an additional barreled upper a few weeks after i purchased the CAR at a gun show. I am an Air Force vet and have always wanted a GAU 5/A/A. Well I sent off the extra upper to John Thomas (also an Air Force vet!) Owner of Retro Arms works to have it modified to mimic the GAU carbine. Just want to say he did an excellent job. As soon as I can get some pics I will post them. I am afraid my photos will not do justice Mr. Thomas's work. Stand by.
Old January 9, 2019, 08:13 PM   #2
chrisp51

The one on top is the colt with the upper I sent to Retro Arms works. The one on the bottom is the Trioy XM177E2.
Old January 9, 2019, 08:18 PM   #3
chrisp51

Pictures posted

Finally got the picture issue straightened out.
Old January 10, 2019, 03:58 PM   #4
davidsog

Quote:
M177E2
Carried one as a private in 1/75th as Platoon Sergeant's RTO. Worst rifle I ever carried in the Army.
Old January 25, 2019, 08:50 PM   #5
bamaranger

why?

Care to elaborate on why your carbine was "worst"?
Old January 29, 2019, 11:18 AM   #6
davidsog

I was the APL RTO when I carried that thing. The zero wandered and it was not reliable meaning it malfunctioned quite a bit.

It's report interfered with anyone on a firing line with you and at night the muzzle flash was so large it blinded you, everyone around you, and silhouetted them as well.

Everytime I shot that thing on a live exercise...I would be noticed and not it a good way, LOL.

It looked cool but there is are some good reason's why it did not see large scale use.
Old January 31, 2019, 03:24 AM   #7
bamaranger

article

davidsog,

Thanks for your reply. Always good to hear from someone whose been there and done it.

If you get the NRA magazine "the Rifleman", there is an article there, I think well done, discussing the xm177E2, you might enjoy it. Some of the issues mentioned are reliability, report and muzzle flash.
Old February 1, 2019, 06:30 PM   #8
chrisp51

John Thomas (Retro arms) actually opens up the gas hole a bit to help with reliability as part of the build he did on my colt upper.
Old February 3, 2019, 08:19 AM   #9
davidsog

Quote:
John Thomas (Retro arms) actually opens up the gas hole a bit to help with reliability as part of the build he did on my colt upper.
It is a good looking rifle and I understand wanting to have one in the collection. I remember being issued it. I was 19 year's old and thought I was "the man" cause I got the special rifle, LOL.