The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2011, 10:31 PM   #1
JDM

FTX bullet seating

Hello all, i'm new to this forum so excuse me if am starting a thread on a beat topic. I did some searching around and did not find directly opinions or answers that deal directly with what i'm up against here. I am seating the Hornady FTX 160 grain bullets in 30-30 winchester. One ting common with 30-30 is the relly long neck length. In reading the load data, the suggestion is to trim the casings to 2.029", about .010" less than the SAMMI standard. When using lee dies, i cant get the bullet to seat as low as the max c.o.l. of 2.535".
I am about .030" over, so normally i would go ahead and stick a waxed one in the chamber and check where the lands are. I'm just not sure it is a good idead to do that and trust the judgement over the max recommended... Has anyone else run across this? what was your solution? i have contacted LEE and they of course informed me they would make a new busching that would allow for further seating for the $18 custom machining charge. I read on another thread where another brand offered someting similar at no charge for a .45-.70.
Im thinking i have two options, either cut the case neck down further, wher ei dont what the results will be, or just trim the length of the bullet seating die busching down and add length to the adjustment screw side. Still dont know if that will be an "all fixed".
Long winded post i know, just want to be sure i give all the info i have...
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions here...