The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

View Poll Results: What general type should I get?
Full auto rifle, M14, H&K, M16 20 60.61%
Large submachine gun, Thompson, MP5 8 24.24%
Medium to small sub machine gun, MP5K PDW, Swedish K 4 12.12%
Some thing larger still, BAR, 30 cal. Browning. 1 3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 11, 2005, 08:06 PM   #1
Henry Baker

What should my first auto be?-Poll

Well, I've caught the fullauto bug. I have a while to wait before I can get one BUT, I've been thinking about it a lot. What kind should I get? This is assuming I have about 20K to spend, give or take preferably take, and I can only get one. I don't need a specific model, but what general type should I get? Any advice from experienced shooters is appreciated.

Thanks,
Henry Baker
Old October 11, 2005, 09:18 PM   #2
fanoblack

I don't own one, but a M16 gives you a lot in one package.

First off, a lot of calibers to choose from, 5.56, 9mm, .45 ACP, .22lr, and I think 7.62 X 39.

A lot of accessories, short barrels, all sorts of stocks, silencers mount easy enough.

Parts are easy enough to find.

Its just a well rounded package.

fanoblack

I know eight languages, unfortunately only one is spoken by humans.
Old October 11, 2005, 09:35 PM   #3
CQBArms

Ar/m16
Old October 11, 2005, 10:19 PM   #4
psycho nut

How about the P90?
Old October 12, 2005, 03:17 AM   #5
Cortland

I'd say you have three choices: an M16, an Uzi, or an HK sear.

The Uzi is a great get because we're pretty much living at the pinnacle of Uzi-dom right now -- tons of accessories and conversions available. My recommendation: get a converted IMI (RR, no rail), have Vector refurb it and bring to SMG spec.

Although the M16 does give you a lot of versatility. I mean, you could buy an Oly Arms receiver and even if it's beat to hell you can have Oly repla ... err, nevermind. And they're also coming out with this great beltfed upper called the Shr ... err, nevermind.

And of course the HK sear speaks for itself.
Old October 12, 2005, 03:28 AM   #6
chrisandclauida2

for 20 grand you can get a couple. a m16 goes around 15 so you have a few bucks left. but the hk as was mentioned can provide access to several different weapons. get the sear and you can put it in almost any hk weapon of the like.if you get a ffl you could go full auto glock 18 or a beretta full aouot . those would be fun.
Old October 12, 2005, 07:00 AM   #7
CQBArms

p90 = not a transferable so you couldn't get one of those.

The full auto glock et al...you need a demo letter and still Glock isn't going ot sell you one.

$15k will easily get you a transferable M16...down side is the other $5K will get you a mac and some toys or a reising or something like that...$20K will not get you an M16 and an HK sear unless you get a cheaper m16...

if you got an AR/M16 for $10K you can expect to pay about the same or a little less for a sear.
Then there is the issue of the sear gun for a couple grand...and those will not always fit any sear with no work.
Old October 12, 2005, 07:13 AM   #8
Benton

I think most people end up shooting their submachine guns more than their rifles or belt-fed automatics. Nine millimeter is easy to come by in bulk or to reload. It is also easy to suppress - something I endorse for the purpose of not annoying the neighbors or advertising that you have automatic firearms to everyone within a couple of miles. The full-sized machineguns are just a pain to set up, to maintain, and find a variety of places for shooting. The rifles, for me, are more fatiguing and too much blast for extensive shooting. The mid to large-sized subguns are a joy to plink with and can be handled by people of all sizes comfortably due to their low recoil and modest weight.
Old October 12, 2005, 08:06 AM   #9
Asmodeous

I really want a belt-fed, but don't have anyplace to shoot one regularly, so I keep buying smaller guns

if I was only going to buy one, it would be an M16. With a dedicated 22 upper you can shootit all day, fast and accurately, for just a few bucks, with a 9mm conversion, you get a good subgun; both my Oly and Garrison 9mm conversions run great, even though they are very different, and of course, you can always run it as a 5.56.

There are other caliber conversions available as well (45 ACP, 40 S&W, 6.8mm SPC, Beowolf, Grendel, Genghis, etc.) so you get a real versatile package.
Old October 12, 2005, 09:39 AM   #10
shaggy

This is a no-brainer; get an M16. By far the most versatile platform available.
Old October 12, 2005, 10:54 AM   #11
Wildalaska

History.

Keep in mind that if the registry gets opened, all of the modern and remade stuff is gonna plummet in value.

Not so original Thompsons/

Best ivestement besides tons of fun

WilddualpurposeAlaska
Old October 12, 2005, 02:14 PM   #12
The British Soldier

Israeli Micro-Uzi at 1,800 rounds per minute cyclical rate of fire; it is a fantastic weapon to fire and difficult to control effectively, especially if fired like a pistol from a weaver grip. The suppressor makes it a bit easier and keeps the muzzle down, but when you burst through it the high rate of fire degrades the noise performance; on single shot it is very quiet as it is closed bolt.

If a rifle option, the M16 range is so versatile and modular.

If price is no option, get yourself a 7.62mm Mini-Gun and a big bank account to buy all of that 7.62mm link - because I bet you'll shoot a lot of it!

Nevertheless, shooting automatic weapons is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on!

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.
Old October 12, 2005, 02:43 PM   #13
Smurfslayer

Depends on what type of shooting you do most

You didn't say which type of shooting you like... Practical - IDPA, IPSC... Bullseye, short range, long range, etc...

I did subgun then auto rifle. This allowed me to get into the game, and save some. 20g's will still get you some good pieces. Don't overlook the FNC, like I got. They're half the cost of an M16, are sear guns that are not married to the receiver, and are a sturdy platform. Also, the m14 should not be overlooked.

If you're going to do a subgun, WTH, buy 2 or 3 M11's. Set one up as a beater, another up like a match gun - slow fire, optical sight... and one general purpose. Sure, they ooze Ghetto, but the slow fire M11's are winning the subgun matches !

Honorable mention has to go to the BAR, but it is kind of impractical from a cost perspective. What ever you get....

spend a few dollars on accessories, spare parts and if you don't already have one, a darn good safe.
Old October 12, 2005, 05:27 PM   #14
Henry Baker

I will not be getting a P90...Ever! However, I must admit I'm glad the rifle's well liked becaus that's what I like most any way. I'm thinking either an M16A1 or an M14. Thanks for your help, keep it coming.
Old October 13, 2005, 07:26 AM   #15
The British Soldier

P90s are an unusual weapon; we have been investigating them for non-Infantry personnel when the next generation weapons systems come in [the rifle/grenade launcher/PS2 game console combination].

I thought the cocking handle was too small and kept slipping out of my size 10 hands; though I did like the 2-stage trigger so that on 'auto' you can still fire single shots, but pull back and hold and it bursts. Very controllable and effective package.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.
Old October 28, 2005, 03:27 PM   #16
GeorgeF

Get that M-16. I love my subbies but for purse versatility would like an M16. Especially with the Lakeside .22 belt fed kit - you could shoot a few bricks and have a GRAND time on the cheap. And if the weather is bad, go to your indoor range and no worries about 'rifle caliber' ammo. That alone makes me drool over a 16. They dont really interest me that much looks-wise.