The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 30, 2015, 03:38 PM   #1
spacecoast

First Full Auto Shooting - Fun!

I marked off another item on my shooting bucket list a couple of weeks ago, however it only made me thirstier for more.

My neighbor's buddy has a great back yard range (in the country), including a small pond which turns out to be ideal for playing with his machine gun. It's built on a Cobray M11 lower with an Alliance Armament 9mm upper that moves the magazine mounting point from the pistol grip out to just behind the forward grip. The Suomi M31 magazines hold 36 rounds each and last for about 2-3 seconds for a mag dump (of which I only did one). I mostly shot 3-6 round bursts and this rifle was surprisingly accurate and easy to control. I found it easy to stay focused on a small log in the water and once I made it jump about 6 feet out of water.

We shot about 150 rounds of stock Federal FMJ and then about 100 rounds of my reloads, which were slightly hotter and made the gun run a little faster. All in all, a very cool experience that I would like to do again in the near future. I have included a few pictures of the gun and shooting below.

Old July 30, 2015, 08:42 PM   #2
skizzums

I have never seen anything like that before. Pretty awesome, and suomi mags? What could be better than being able to buy drums for 20$ and less. Full auto is awesome, I have only done it at range rentals and ammo costs are always prohibitive, the fact he allowed your reloads is really cool, and being a 9mm makes it even better.
Old August 5, 2015, 11:00 PM   #3
PA32Mark

Are Suomi stick and drum mags plentiful and relatively inexpensive?