The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Roaddog

Stuck 45

Got a 45 colt 250gr hard cast stuck in the Rurer new vaquero. It's just startid in the berrel and still in the cartridge. Should I push it back down or take my 45cal ballpuller and pull it out?
Old January 20, 2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Sevens

PULL it out? Wow, that would take some work.

Get a brass rod and lightly tap it from the bore end back in to the cartridge. Be careful that your rod is a close fit so that it doesn't rattle around, but not so large that it's squeezed in the bore.

Some folks use a wood dowel, but they do tend to crack and split.
Old January 20, 2011, 09:49 AM   #3
zippy13

^^^ +1 ^^^
Your local hardware store should have 7/16-inch brass rod. Once the bullet is back in the case, remove the cylinder. Then you have a few options: fabricate an inertia puller and start whacking with the cylinder until the bullet comes free; drill the bullet; or, the typical method, drill out the primer and push the bullet out with a smaller rod. With a percussion revolver, it's almost the same, but removing the nipple is easier than drilling out a primer pocket. It's a bother; but, rest assured, you're not the first to have this happen and surely not the last. Good luck.
Old January 20, 2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Roaddog

Thank for the info guys. I was hopping it was back down and not pull.
Old January 20, 2011, 09:27 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

first, size ALL cases new or used

Revisit your crimp; most highly recommend using a Redding Profile Crimp Die.

It first provides a symmetrical and gentle taper (and can adjust to ONLY taper), then finishes with an extremely uniform 'roll'. It has been extensively tested to prove its ability to enhance accuracy and decrease ballistic differences.
Old January 21, 2011, 12:19 AM   #6
Ideal Tool

Hello, Roaddog, did you get that bullet out? It seems to me, once you had driven the bullet back onto..or into the case..everything would just fall out the cyl. the chamber is larger once past cyl. throat. What happened..you said it was bridging cyl. & forcing cone..this sounds like a primer only load.
Old January 21, 2011, 12:38 AM   #7
zippy13

Quote:
It seems to me, once you had driven the bullet back onto..or into the case..everything would just fall out the cyl. the chamber is larger once past cyl. throat.
Yes, if you're a lucky guy. On the other hand...
Old January 21, 2011, 08:13 AM   #8
billnourse

Find a hardwood wooden dowl that will fit the bbl with a little room to spare. tap the round back into the cylinder, remove the cylinder and tap the round out if necessary. Probably won't be, it should just come out. The wood is hard enough to bump the bullet back, but not hard enough to hurt the crown of your bbl.

Bill
Cooper 52 25/06, Cooper 52 30/06, Cooper 52 338/06Cooper 57 .17HMR, Remington VS .22/250 all left handed. Rock River Predator Persuit AR-15, 1952 Marlin 336 in 30/30. 2 Kimber 1911, Colt 1911, S&W .357 Mag, Kahr .40 and .380
Old January 21, 2011, 08:56 AM   #9
Roaddog

I broke my rule of no one in the shop when reloading. I'm sure it was a primer only round. I didn't get to work on it yestrday but will today. I am a lucky guy and I thanked the man up stairs for that. I also tore down the other 20 rounds in that bach. They were all good.