The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 26, 2005, 09:26 PM   #1
Henry Baker

How available are mags for Macs?

My brother is thinking about getting a Mac10 or an M11/9 soon. But, he wants to know how available magazines are for this gun. I told him I would ask the experts, so what do you think? Are they hard to find? How many rounds do they hold? How much do they cost? Are they still being produced? And where can he get a five rounder for hunting? Just joshing.

Thanks,
Henry Baker
Old November 27, 2005, 12:57 AM   #2
wardog

The M10 in .45 uses modified Greasegun mags. They hold 30 rounds. A simple modification must be made with a dremel/file.

I just took delivery of 12 for $120.

http://www.ima-usa.com/index.php/cPath/4_179

The M11 mags are a different story. I don't have an M11, but from what I've read, original metal mags are scarce and pricey. The feed lips on the plastic mags wear out fairly quickly. There are several solutions. You can buy metal inserts for the plastic mags, or have your M11/9 converted to take common Sten or UZI mags.

Check out these sites for more MAC info.

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/forumd...?s=&forumid=82

http://atomiclabrat.com/MAC%20Pages%...0%20Trivia.htm
Old November 27, 2005, 08:23 AM   #3
shaggy

The SWD M11 (9mm) and M11 A1 (.380) both take the same mags. The zytel mags work well, but the feed lips do wear out. Modified Madsen mags can be used and there are good quality South African mags available for the SWDs. Of all the MAC type guns, you'll have the most options for mags with the SWD types. Additionally, the 9mm version can be modified with a new grip frame to take STEn mags.

Mags for any of the .45 guns are also relative cheap and available. The only ones which have a short supply of mags are the original Powder Springs MACs in .380 (mags can go for $100+ each) and 9mm. Unlike all other MAC type mags (SWD, TX MAC, etc.) these are a double feed position mag exactly like the Walther MPL/MPK (which can be substituted for the 9mm version). Those 9mm mags hold 36 rather than the usual 30-32 but like the .380 versions are much more rare and hard to find.
Old November 27, 2005, 02:17 PM   #4
Henry Baker

Thanks yall, that's just what I needed to know. I will ask my dealer and I'm sure he can locate what we need.