The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 18, 2021, 08:14 PM   #1
AzShooter

It's All A Matter Of Springs

Playing with the trigger pull of my Colt Gold Cup 1911 22 I found that the Sear Spring is very important. I was getting a 9.5 pound trigger pull from the factory. I ordered a Cylinder & Slide trigger kit which brought the pull down to 7.5 pounds. Still not what I was looking for. Advertisements say the pull will be between 4 and 4.5 pounds. When I got it that low I ended up with hammer follow.

Youtube assured me that the problem was the sear spring. I ordered 6 new springs from different manufacturer and thy came in today. I put each spring in the gun, tested the pulls and they almost all averaged 5.5 pounds. One was 7.5 pounds and one was 3.5. This is with no work on the spring.

I opted for the 3.5 since I want to shoot this gun for RFPI (rimfire pistol iron) in Steel Challenge.

Guess which spring I chose...? Now I have a gun that works but I'll play with the other springs, tweeting them a bit and try to get poundage in the 2 pound territory.
Old November 19, 2021, 11:20 PM   #2
RickB

Having a trigger pull gauge helps, a lot.
You want at least eight ounces of resistance on both the left and center legs of the spring, and it's difficult to set that resistance without a means of measuring it.
Old November 20, 2021, 12:36 AM   #3
HiBC

While a 2 lb pull CAN be done on a 1911, its outside the window of reliability.
I suggest you adjust your goal to something over 3 lbs.
Its not all in the sear spring,either.
Old November 20, 2021, 01:08 AM   #4
AzShooter

Yeah, 2 pounds isn't realistic for me, I just want to see if it can be done but I feel comfortable in the 3 pound range.