The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 29, 2013, 02:28 PM   #1
new_shooter

springfield arms xd

Looking to buy a CC gun I like the xd line but was concerned about the ammo craze! Leaning towards .40 or .45 acp what would be the better choice and why? Thanks in advance! Also thoughts about the xd line pros and cons thanks!
Old March 29, 2013, 02:49 PM   #2
AssaultTortoise

I just bought an XD9 for my wife its a very nice gun. Caliber is subjective to what fits your needs best. The ammo craze is exactly that a craze and it will be over eventually. Your better to buy the gun you want now and be happy with it then base your decision on a temporary issue and end up with something that doesn't quite suit your needs in the long run. Most of my pistols are 45cal and I am hoping to get my hands on an XDS for CCW this summer. As always if possible try and test out what your looking at before you buy.
Old March 29, 2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

There are few topics that will inspire a spittin' contest faster than:
  • 9mm vs. .45 ACP; or
  • Glock vs. 1911.
You're likely to get as many different opinions as you do responses. The .40 is a perfectly serviceable caliber, but I don't own one. I'm kind of partial to that big ol', slow .45 acp. If I were going to go down in caliber to increase capacity, I'd go ahead and drop down to a 9mm.

However, mine is a relatively uneducated opinion in this, as I have negligible trigger time with the .40. Take it for what it's worth.
Old March 29, 2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Microgunner

I own two SA XD pistols. A XD-40 V-10 4" and a XDM-9 4.5".
Both are fine pistols but I prefer the XDM-9.
Old March 29, 2013, 03:11 PM   #5
Rifleman1952

I own an XDM-9 and an XD-45. Both are accurate and reliable. I am very satisfied with both pistols and highly recommend them. I hope to purchase the new XDs in 9mm, sometime in next few months. If you are getting this pistol for concealed carry, I would recommend going with the 9 mm, from whichever manufacturer, you decide on. I enjoy shooting the .40 & .45 but prefer to fire these rounds from a larger, duty sized handgun. There will be many who disagree, but your best bet is to visit a shooting range where you can rent the types of pistols you are considering and see what feels best to you.
Old March 29, 2013, 03:13 PM   #6
new_shooter

Great responses heard nothing but good things about the xd line looked at a xd .40 compact yesterday $499. Price tag is a plus for me !
Old March 29, 2013, 03:14 PM   #7
K31Scout

I have an XD9 and really have found no fault with it except for me it's a bit uncomfortable IWB. It's my carry gun but am waiting on an M&P Shield for something smaller. I'm curious about the new XDs9 that will be out this summer but I'll probably have the Shield by then. What I will miss is the 17 rounds my XD can hold. There are always compromises.

As far as caliber; I chose 9mm because it's half the price of .45acp and carry Hornady Critical Duty ammo. In my part of the country, northern MI, there seems to always be .40 on the shelf. Never 9mm or .45acp. Look around locally to see whats available and make your choice. It's bad when you get a new gun and can't shoot it because there's no ammo anywhere. That's why I recently bought an M&P22lr pistol. I have lots of ammo and get in lots of practice.
Old March 29, 2013, 03:35 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
Looking to buy a CC gun I like the xd line but was concerned about the ammo craze! Leaning towards .40 or .45 acp what would be the better choice and why? Thanks in advance!
9, .40 or .45. Pick one. Stop worrying about it.

Quote:
Also thoughts about the xd line pros and cons thanks!
There is a lot of XD hate expressed from certain quarters. Also .40 S&W hate.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 29, 2013, 03:53 PM   #9
new_shooter

I went to at least 12 places this week and basicly got laughed at when asking for 9mm! My mother has a Taurus pt 111 been looking for ammo guess I keep looking that is why I was leaning towards the .45 compact
Old March 29, 2013, 04:05 PM   #10
glock75

My EDC is a Springfield XDM 3.8 compact in 9mm. Easy to conceal and not too heavy, especially in the right holster. Holds 13 + 1 in the chamber. It comes with an extended magazine that holds 19 + 1 in the chamber. More weight, but it is a tradeoff; weight vs. more ammo. The extended mag isn't quite as concealable. But put a jacket on over the shirt and it is well hidden.

I have XD's in 9, 40 and 45 as well as XDM's in all of these same calibers. They all shoot about the same, a little more recoil in the .45 and then a little more in the 40. But all of them are very manageable.

Having said that, after carrying all them at some point I ended up with the XDM 9mm 3.8 compact. It fits my lifestyle, clothing, etc. and gives me a few more rounds than the 40 or 45 in the same size gun. And the recoil is very, very manageable. Very concealable and not too heavy.

BTW, I put the Pierce extension floor plates on each of these magazines to give me more grip area. Nice....
Old March 29, 2013, 04:15 PM   #11
jfost

I have owned an xd sub 40 and now I have a sub 9. I felt that for the money they were the toughest striker-fired polymer framed guns. Xd's can shoot +p and +p+ ammo out of them which is really neat with 9mm and 45 acp. The xd 45 doesn't come in subcompact unless you get the xds 45 so that may be something to consider with this being a cc weapon. Shoot them if you can. 40 can be pretty snappy in my glock 27 before I got some more time shooting it.
Old March 29, 2013, 07:11 PM   #12
PetahW

My 47-y.o. son bought a new .40 XDM last month, and appears to be happier than a pig in poop with it.

He especially liked the extra/different/interchangeable backstraps, since they allowed him to make the grip more comfortable for himself.

Zero issues, through about 500 rounds, so far.

His came in a "kit", with carry case, holster, extra mag & carrier, etc.

Old March 29, 2013, 07:25 PM   #13
new_shooter

Well I'm pretty convinced! It seems that 40/45 is a little easier to get around here lately found a shop with good prices! Thanks to all for the comments !